searching for a MS SQL server client on FreeBSD - BSD

This is a discussion on searching for a MS SQL server client on FreeBSD - BSD ; Hi, I have been searching for a tool that would let me manage MS SQL databases in an efficient way from FreeBSD box. I have found until now the KSQLAnalizer, but its functions are pretty limited and it does not ...

  1. searching for a MS SQL server client on FreeBSD

    Hi,

    I have been searching for a tool that would let me manage MS SQL databases
    in an efficient way from FreeBSD box. I have found until now the KSQLAnalizer,
    but its functions are pretty limited and it does not seem to be developed
    any more. I do not care much about port dependencies. Do you guys have any
    suggestions?

    TIA,
    smyru

  2. Re: searching for a MS SQL server client on FreeBSD

    Piotr, have you considered running native tools in an emulator?

    --

    Regards,
    Karel Miklav

  3. Re: searching for a MS SQL server client on FreeBSD

    On Jan 17, 12:23 pm, Piotr Smyrak wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been searching for a tool that would let me manage MS SQL databases
    > in an efficient way from FreeBSD box. I have found until now the KSQLAnalizer,
    > but its functions are pretty limited and it does not seem to be developed
    > any more. I do not care much about port dependencies. Do you guys have any
    > suggestions?

    I use Squirrel-SQL with TDS JDBC driver. Squirrel is Java GUI
    application, and it offers a lot. TDS driver appears to be better than
    Microsoft's own JDBC driver, because some thing would not work with the
    latter (VIEW creation).

    Configure "new session properties" to use "plain editor" to be able to
    do normal UNIX copy&paste from and to X applications.

    I use Microsoft supplied tools only on rare occasions, most of the job
    I do from Squirrel.

    DG

  4. Re: searching for a MS SQL server client on FreeBSD

    On 2007-01-18, Karel Miklav wrote:
    > Piotr, have you considered running native tools in an emulator?

    Karel, thanks for suggestion, but I have been somewhat hesitant with Wine.
    I tried some time ago to run a few Win programs in it, and it was pretty
    disappointing, since most of them expected private configs and too much
    tweakery, so I have not looked at it as an option to tell you the truth.

    I do have a Windows partition on the disk, and tools there, but it is
    always a pain to reboot, just to set some random stuff in MSSQL every
    couple of days or even more seldom. That's is why I was looking for
    some *x native solution.

    --
    Piotr Smyrak

  5. Re: searching for a MS SQL server client on FreeBSD

    On 2007-01-18, Drazen Gemic wrote:

    > On Jan 17, 12:23 pm, Piotr Smyrak wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have been searching for a tool that would let me manage MS SQL databases
    >> in an efficient way from FreeBSD box. I have found until now the KSQLAnalizer,
    >> but its functions are pretty limited and it does not seem to be developed
    >> any more. I do not care much about port dependencies. Do you guys have any
    >> suggestions?

    > I use Squirrel-SQL with TDS JDBC driver. Squirrel is Java GUI
    > application, and it offers a lot. TDS driver appears to be better than
    > Microsoft's own JDBC driver, because some thing would not work with the
    > latter (VIEW creation).
    >
    > Configure "new session properties" to use "plain editor" to be able to
    > do normal UNIX copy&paste from and to X applications.
    >
    > I use Microsoft supplied tools only on rare occasions, most of the job
    > I do from Squirrel.

    Thanks for that, it indeed looks very promising.

    --
    Piotr Smyrak

  6. Re: searching for a MS SQL server client on FreeBSD

    I meant Qemu, but never mind if Squirrel-SQL works for you.

+ Reply to Thread