6.2/amd64 hangs... - BSD

This is a discussion on 6.2/amd64 hangs... - BSD ; Just completed a painless upgrade from 6.0-RELEASE/amd64 to 6.2-RELEASE/amd64, nothing unusual during the upgrade. However, tens of minutes after the machine is up, it hung completely. Alas, there's nothing on the console to indicate anything went wrong. The machine is ...

  1. 6.2/amd64 hangs...

    Just completed a painless upgrade from 6.0-RELEASE/amd64 to 6.2-RELEASE/amd64,
    nothing unusual during the upgrade.

    However, tens of minutes after the machine is up, it hung completely.
    Alas, there's nothing on the console to indicate anything went wrong.
    The machine is hung up solid -- console keyboard does nothing, and
    it can't even be pinged.

    Can someone point me at some tips on how I can start to diagnose this?

    I *suspect* it may be either the sk0 driver or NFS, simply because I was
    doing a lot of heavy traffic over the ethernet when it died in both cases.
    An idle system seems to stay up much longer, and the previous 6.0
    machine was completely stable...

    Thanks in advance!
    -RK

    --
    Robert Krten, Antique computer collector looking for PDP-8 and PDP-8/S
    minicomputers; check out their "good home" at www.parse.com/~museum

  2. Re: 6.2/amd64 hangs...

    Robert Krten wrote:
    > Just completed a painless upgrade from 6.0-RELEASE/amd64 to 6.2-RELEASE/amd64,
    > nothing unusual during the upgrade.
    >
    > However, tens of minutes after the machine is up, it hung completely.
    > Alas, there's nothing on the console to indicate anything went wrong.
    > The machine is hung up solid -- console keyboard does nothing, and

    does nothing? can you still toggle num/caps/scroll lock?

    > it can't even be pinged.
    >
    > Can someone point me at some tips on how I can start to diagnose this?

    you could add kernel debugger options to your kernel config and see
    if you can still break to ddb.
    In case you have an NMI button that might help as well.

    --
    Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb at Zabbadoz dot NeT

  3. Re: 6.2/amd64 hangs...

    On 2007-01-17, Robert Krten wrote:
    > Just completed a painless upgrade from 6.0-RELEASE/amd64 to 6.2-RELEASE/amd64,
    > nothing unusual during the upgrade.
    >
    > However, tens of minutes after the machine is up, it hung completely.
    > Alas, there's nothing on the console to indicate anything went wrong.
    > The machine is hung up solid -- console keyboard does nothing, and
    > it can't even be pinged.
    >
    > Can someone point me at some tips on how I can start to diagnose this?

    See the chapter on kernel debugging in the developers handbook.

    Kris

  4. Re: 6.2/amd64 hangs...

    Kris Kennaway wrote:
    > On 2007-01-17, Robert Krten wrote:
    > > Just completed a painless upgrade from 6.0-RELEASE/amd64 to 6.2-RELEASE/amd64,
    > > nothing unusual during the upgrade.
    > >
    > > However, tens of minutes after the machine is up, it hung completely.
    > > Alas, there's nothing on the console to indicate anything went wrong.
    > > The machine is hung up solid -- console keyboard does nothing, and
    > > it can't even be pinged.
    > >
    > > Can someone point me at some tips on how I can start to diagnose this?

    > See the chapter on kernel debugging in the developers handbook.

    Thanks, I'll take a look.

    Cheers,
    -RK

    --
    Robert Krten, Antique computer collector looking for PDP-8 and PDP-8/S
    minicomputers; check out their "good home" at www.parse.com/~museum
    Email address is valid; greylisting spam filter in effect.

  5. Re: 6.2/amd64 hangs...

    Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
    > Robert Krten wrote:
    > > Just completed a painless upgrade from 6.0-RELEASE/amd64 to 6.2-RELEASE/amd64,
    > > nothing unusual during the upgrade.
    > >
    > > However, tens of minutes after the machine is up, it hung completely.
    > > Alas, there's nothing on the console to indicate anything went wrong.
    > > The machine is hung up solid -- console keyboard does nothing, and

    > does nothing? can you still toggle num/caps/scroll lock?

    Nothing at all. Dead.

    > > it can't even be pinged.
    > >
    > > Can someone point me at some tips on how I can start to diagnose this?

    > you could add kernel debugger options to your kernel config and see
    > if you can still break to ddb.

    I'll try that tonight.

    > In case you have an NMI button that might help as well.

    No NMI button. :-( Does one come standard with AMD64 motherboards somewhere that
    I should look for?

    Cheers,
    -RK
    --
    Robert Krten, Antique computer collector looking for PDP-8 and PDP-8/S
    minicomputers; check out their "good home" at www.parse.com/~museum
    Email address is valid; greylisting spam filter in effect.

+ Reply to Thread