install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good - BSD

This is a discussion on install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good - BSD ; I suppose it's down to hardware failure somewhere when freebsd 6.2 and 6.1 packages fail to install? I don't recall having this trouble with 6.0 release on the exact same machine. I burned both cd's (6.2 release)from the iso's then ...

  1. install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good

    I suppose it's down to hardware failure somewhere when
    freebsd 6.2 and 6.1 packages fail to install? I don't recall
    having this trouble with 6.0 release on the exact same machine.

    I burned both cd's (6.2 release)from the iso's then ripped
    the iso's and checked the md5 sums of the burned cd's and they
    verify exactly.

    So why the install failures?

    A couple at the end of cd1 base install (freetype packages) and
    then lots of failures with cd2. The funny thing is I don't find
    any failures installing debian. I also burn data to dvd and check
    the burned data with md5sum and it verifies exactly, every
    file over a full dvd in 4 dvds.

    Ce passa?

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  2. Re: install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good

    On Jan 16, 12:19 pm, Dead Paul wrote:
    > I suppose it's down to hardware failure somewhere when
    > freebsd 6.2 and 6.1 packages fail to install? I don't recall
    > having this trouble with 6.0 release on the exact same machine.
    > A couple at the end of cd1 base install (freetype packages) and
    > then lots of failures with cd2.

    What error messages? Many, many other people
    have installed 6.2 with no problem, so you need
    to be more specific, since others will not know
    what "lots of failures" you're referring to.

    Also, many of us have learned the habit to
    *not* install packages during OS install.
    Instead, we install just the minimum, then later,
    once the OS is running fine, we then install the packages.

    (Installing the packages later on allows you
    to have a clear success-or-failure:
    the install of each package either succeeds or not,
    and you'll know which one to blame.)
    But if an error occurred during OS install,
    it may corrupt the whole process
    and making the OS install incomplete.

    - JT

  3. Re: install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:24:00 -0800, JT wrote:

    > On Jan 16, 12:19 pm, Dead Paul wrote:
    >> I suppose it's down to hardware failure somewhere when freebsd 6.2 and
    >> 6.1 packages fail to install? I don't recall having this trouble with
    >> 6.0 release on the exact same machine. ...
    >> A couple at the end of cd1 base install (freetype packages) and then
    >> lots of failures with cd2.

    > What error messages?

    package xyz - failed to install. That's all there is to it.

    > Many, many other people have installed 6.2 with no
    > problem, so you need to be more specific, since others will not know what
    > "lots of failures" you're referring to.

    many packages on the second cd fail to install. there is a fail to install
    message. i don't remember the exact wording. nor is it important as i bet
    many others are aware of this problem.

    > Also, many of us have learned the habit to *not* install packages during
    > OS install. Instead, we install just the minimum, then later, once the OS
    > is running fine, we then install the packages.

    Well, even the basic minimum install has several failures when trying to
    install freetype packages (onn cd1).

    > (Installing the packages later on allows you to have a clear
    > success-or-failure:
    > the install of each package either succeeds or not, and you'll know which
    > one to blame.)

    Like I said it is the freetype packages at the end of the basic install
    on cd1.

    What is important here is that the packages are not corrupt as far as *I*
    know because the md5sum of each cd checks out with the md5sums published
    on the ftp websites AND there is nothing wrong with my hardware.

    > But if an error occurred during OS install, it may corrupt the whole
    > process
    > and making the OS install incomplete.

    Yes. I just want to know if anyone else has had or has heard of this
    problem. You will know exactly what I am talking about if you have
    experienced it or come across it before elsewhere.

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  4. Re: install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good

    Dead Paul wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:24:00 -0800, JT wrote:
    >
    >> On Jan 16, 12:19 pm, Dead Paul wrote:
    >>> I suppose it's down to hardware failure somewhere when freebsd 6.2 and
    >>> 6.1 packages fail to install? I don't recall having this trouble with
    >>> 6.0 release on the exact same machine. ...
    >>> A couple at the end of cd1 base install (freetype packages) and then
    >>> lots of failures with cd2.

    >> What error messages?

    > package xyz - failed to install. That's all there is to it.

    Did you know about using Alt and the function keys to switch to the
    other TTYs? One of those will show the real error.

    >> Many, many other people have installed 6.2 with no
    >> problem, so you need to be more specific, since others will not know what
    >> "lots of failures" you're referring to.

    > many packages on the second cd fail to install. there is a fail to install
    > message. i don't remember the exact wording. nor is it important as i bet
    > many others are aware of this problem.

    Nope, just you so far, according to Google:

    http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...oring=d&hl=en&

    A more exact error message might give better results.

    Could be you're trying to use an architecture where those packages are
    broken. Could be you're just out of disk space or RAM. Good luck!

  5. Re: install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good

    Dead Paul wrote:

    > > Many, many other people have installed 6.2 with no
    > > problem, so you need to be more specific, since others will not know what
    > > "lots of failures" you're referring to.

    > many packages on the second cd fail to install. there is a fail to install
    > message. i don't remember the exact wording. nor is it important as i bet
    > many others are aware of this problem.

    I have just installed FreeBSD-6.2 on my new laptop today, and i have not
    encountered a single "failed to install". Needless to say i have
    installed the complete KDE plus other things. So either you have a
    corrupt CD or a machine with hardware problems, such as bad memory,
    overheating CPU or chipset, subpar power supply, or problems with your
    ATA controller, perhaps ACPI problems.

    --

    Michel TALON

  6. Re: install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good

    On Jan 16, 5:31 pm, Dead Paul wrote:
    > i don't remember the exact wording. nor is it important
    > as i bet many others are aware of this problem.

    No, just you so far.

    > Well, even the basic minimum install has
    > several failures when trying to
    > install freetype packages (on cd1).

    Well, my minimum install certainly does not include freetype.

    I only install "base" and "kernel".

    I don't even install manpages/dict/doc... until I know
    the OS boots fine, the master boot record is configured
    correctly, etc. etc.

    (For you, as others have pointed out, you can hit Alt-F2,
    or Alt-F3, or Alt-F4 to see more detailed messages.
    Perhaps you allocated too little space for / or /usr,
    and it is running out of space)

    - JT

  7. Re: install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:10:22 +0000, Michel Talon wrote:

    > Dead Paul wrote:
    >>
    >> > Many, many other people have installed 6.2 with no problem, so you
    >> > need to be more specific, since others will not know what "lots of
    >> > failures" you're referring to.

    >> many packages on the second cd fail to install. there is a fail to
    >> install message. i don't remember the exact wording. nor is it important
    >> as i bet many others are aware of this problem.

    > I have just installed FreeBSD-6.2 on my new laptop today, and i have not
    > encountered a single "failed to install". Needless to say i have installed
    > the complete KDE plus other things. So either you have a corrupt CD or a
    > machine with hardware problems, such as bad memory, overheating CPU or
    > chipset, subpar power supply, or problems with your ATA controller,
    > perhaps ACPI problems.

    No, if you read the post properly you will see that my machine reads and
    writes data accurately to and from cd and the hard drive consistantly, I
    maintain md5sums of my data when it is "spooled" off onto dvd and cdrom.
    Everything checks out and always has done except for the one time when i
    had a faulty ide ribbon cable (replaced).

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  8. Re: install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:12:31 +0000, Warren Block wrote:

    > Dead Paul wrote:

    >>> What error messages?

    >> package xyz - failed to install. That's all there is to it.

    > Did you know about using Alt and the function keys to switch to the other
    > TTYs? One of those will show the real error.
    >
    >>> Many, many other people have installed 6.2 with no problem, so you need
    >>> to be more specific, since others will not know what "lots of failures"
    >>> you're referring to.

    >> many packages on the second cd fail to install. there is a fail to
    >> install message. i don't remember the exact wording. nor is it important
    >> as i bet many others are aware of this problem.

    > Nope, just you so far, according to Google:

    That is a ridiculous supposition. Google doesn't dictate reality.

    > http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...oring=d&hl=en&
    >
    > A more exact error message might give better results.

    Well, I have to get round to installing it again and I shall write down
    the exact details of the message.

    > Could be you're trying to use an architecture where those packages are
    > broken.

    hmmm..
    > Could be you're just out of disk space or RAM. Good luck!

    No, it's none of those.

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  9. Re: install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:31:51 -0800, JT wrote:

    > On Jan 16, 5:31 pm, Dead Paul wrote:
    >> i don't remember the exact wording. nor is it important as i bet many
    >> others are aware of this problem.

    > No, just you so far.
    >
    >> Well, even the basic minimum install has several failures when trying to
    >> install freetype packages (on cd1).

    > Well, my minimum install certainly does not include freetype.

    Ah yes, I meant the basic install (the fisrt cd as I wrote).

    > I only install "base" and "kernel".
    >
    > I don't even install manpages/dict/doc... until I know the OS boots fine,
    > the master boot record is configured correctly, etc. etc.
    >
    > (For you, as others have pointed out, you can hit Alt-F2, or Alt-F3, or
    > Alt-F4 to see more detailed messages. Perhaps you allocated too little
    > space for / or /usr, and it is running out of space)

    No, it's none of the above.

    As i said below I'll give it another try and write down the error messages
    this time.

    tnx everybody.

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  10. Re: install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good

    Dead Paul wrote:

    > > I have just installed FreeBSD-6.2 on my new laptop today, and i have not
    > > encountered a single "failed to install". Needless to say i have installed
    > > the complete KDE plus other things. So either you have a corrupt CD or a
    > > machine with hardware problems, such as bad memory, overheating CPU or
    > > chipset, subpar power supply, or problems with your ATA controller,
    > > perhaps ACPI problems.

    > No, if you read the post properly you will see that my machine reads and
    > writes data accurately to and from cd and the hard drive consistantly, I
    > maintain md5sums of my data when it is "spooled" off onto dvd and cdrom.
    > Everything checks out and always has done except for the one time when i
    > had a faulty ide ribbon cable (replaced).

    Then it may be the last set of causes i mentioned, such as improper ACPI
    initialization of some device, or bad support of the SATA chipset by
    FreeBSD, etc. It is well known that some "silicon image" chipsets didn't
    work well with FreeBSD in conjunction with some hard disks. If there are
    write errors to the disk, of course the installation will fail. If this
    is the case there is no more you can do, FreeBSD doesn't like your
    hardware. This sort of things occur with every operating system, perhaps
    they hide it by running in PIO mode or other band aids. Perhaps,
    upgrading the BIOS may help, or may further worsen the problems :-(

    --

    Michel TALON

  11. Re: install failures (6.2 release) - iso's are good

    On 2007-01-17, Dead Paul wrote:

    >> Nope, just you so far, according to Google:

    > That is a ridiculous supposition. Google doesn't dictate reality.

    Regardless, you're the only person that I've seen reporting such an
    error either, and I'm extensively plugged in to the various FreeBSD
    support networks. You need to look closer to home for the source or
    cause of the problem since it really does appear to work for everyone
    else.

    Kris

+ Reply to Thread