Excessive 404 hits help - BSD

This is a discussion on Excessive 404 hits help - BSD ; HI can anyone let me know if its normal to have high hits to a page on a website than the main site itself using Appache ?? Like 18,000+ hits on the 404.html but only 8000+ hits on the index.html ...

  1. Excessive 404 hits help

    HI can anyone let me know if its normal to have high hits to a page
    on a website than the main site itself using Appache ??

    Like 18,000+ hits on the 404.html but only 8000+ hits on the
    index.html page ??????

    Surely its a case of it eaither finds the site or doesn't is there any
    factors that could cause false hits and end up with more on the 404
    page epspecaliy as the site is very rarely changed in any way .....

    Many Thanks
    Sadman

  2. Re: Excessive 404 hits help

    news@php1dotcodotuk wrote:

    > HI can anyone let me know if its normal to have high hits to a page
    > on a website than the main site itself using Appache ??
    >
    > Like 18,000+ hits on the 404.html but only 8000+ hits on the
    > index.html page ??????
    >
    > Surely its a case of it eaither finds the site or doesn't is there any
    > factors that could cause false hits and end up with more on the 404
    > page epspecaliy as the site is very rarely changed in any way .....
    >

    > Many Thanks
    > Sadman

    Only a couple of things spring to mind. One is a change which has not been
    reindexed by a search engine and people are just clicking on the link as
    presented. The other is some form of scanning for .php vulnerabilities. For
    instance someone looking for a config.inc.php file for database passwords.

    Only an in depth analysis of your log files will reveal what's going on. As
    far as these 404 hits appearing out of nowhere, there is a reason and it
    can probably be found in the logs.

    -Jason

  3. Re: Excessive 404 hits help

    Thanks Jason I will have a look through the logs :-) to see if I can
    see anything.

    Sadman

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:52:48 GMT, Jason Bourne
    wrote:

    >news@php1dotcodotuk wrote:
    >
    >> HI can anyone let me know if its normal to have high hits to a page
    >> on a website than the main site itself using Appache ??
    >>
    >> Like 18,000+ hits on the 404.html but only 8000+ hits on the
    >> index.html page ??????
    >>
    >> Surely its a case of it eaither finds the site or doesn't is there any
    >> factors that could cause false hits and end up with more on the 404
    >> page epspecaliy as the site is very rarely changed in any way .....
    >>

    >> Many Thanks
    >> Sadman

    >Only a couple of things spring to mind. One is a change which has not been
    >reindexed by a search engine and people are just clicking on the link as
    >presented. The other is some form of scanning for .php vulnerabilities. For
    >instance someone looking for a config.inc.php file for database passwords.
    >
    >Only an in depth analysis of your log files will reveal what's going on. As
    >far as these 404 hits appearing out of nowhere, there is a reason and it
    >can probably be found in the logs.
    >
    >-Jason

  4. Re: Excessive 404 hits help

    Check your logs for what pages are returning the 404 error.
    Probably a bot looking for known vulnerabilities.

    --
    jbeasley@sdf.lonestar.org