6.2 buildworld 'error' heads-up - BSD

This is a discussion on 6.2 buildworld 'error' heads-up - BSD ; All, Just finished compiling 6.2RELEASE after having a small problem. buildworld and buildkernel went fine but installkernel crapped out at some module because the root filesystem was full. My root is just the way I like it; 128MB, and I've ...

  1. 6.2 buildworld 'error' heads-up

    All,

    Just finished compiling 6.2RELEASE after having a small problem.
    buildworld and buildkernel went fine but installkernel crapped out at
    some module because the root filesystem was full. My root is just the
    way I like it; 128MB, and I've never had this issue before. Even when I
    ran 4.x with an 80MB root partition, build sequences completed fine.

    The issue was initially not space per se but inodes. There was a little
    space left on / but the inodes were used up. I discovered that
    /root/.ccache had a ton of files in it. Deleted that, created
    /tmp/.ccache and linked to it from /root. All went well after that,
    with /tmp/.ccache being 103MB and 5301 files at compile's end.

  2. Re: 6.2 buildworld 'error' heads-up

    On 13 Jan 2007 13:26:29 -0800, "semi-ambivalent" wrote:
    > All,
    > Just finished compiling 6.2RELEASE after having a small
    > problem. buildworld and buildkernel went fine but
    > installkernel crapped out at some module because the root
    > filesystem was full. My root is just the way I like it; 128MB,
    > and I've never had this issue before. Even when I ran 4.x with
    > an 80MB root partition, build sequences completed fine.
    >
    > The issue was initially not space per se but inodes. There was
    > a little space left on / but the inodes were used up. I
    > discovered that /root/.ccache had a ton of files in it. Deleted
    > that, created /tmp/.ccache and linked to it from /root. All
    > went well after that, with /tmp/.ccache being 103MB and 5301
    > files at compile's end.

    That's a problem with the local setup, which uses ccache, though.
    Since the FreeBSD build process is unrelated to using ccache or
    not, ``6.2 buildworld'' is fine as it is

  3. Re: 6.2 buildworld 'error' heads-up

    Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
    > On 13 Jan 2007 13:26:29 -0800, "semi-ambivalent" wrote:
    > > All,
    > > Just finished compiling 6.2RELEASE after having a small
    > > problem. buildworld and buildkernel went fine but
    > > installkernel crapped out at some module because the root
    > > filesystem was full. My root is just the way I like it; 128MB,
    > > and I've never had this issue before. Even when I ran 4.x with
    > > an 80MB root partition, build sequences completed fine.
    > >
    > > The issue was initially not space per se but inodes. There was
    > > a little space left on / but the inodes were used up. I
    > > discovered that /root/.ccache had a ton of files in it. Deleted
    > > that, created /tmp/.ccache and linked to it from /root. All
    > > went well after that, with /tmp/.ccache being 103MB and 5301
    > > files at compile's end.

    > That's a problem with the local setup, which uses ccache, though.
    > Since the FreeBSD build process is unrelated to using ccache or
    > not, ``6.2 buildworld'' is fine as it is

    Hence my use of single quotes.

  4. Re: 6.2 buildworld 'error' heads-up

    On 2007-01-13, semi-ambivalent wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > Just finished compiling 6.2RELEASE after having a small problem.
    > buildworld and buildkernel went fine but installkernel crapped out at
    > some module because the root filesystem was full. My root is just the
    > way I like it; 128MB, and I've never had this issue before. Even when I
    > ran 4.x with an 80MB root partition, build sequences completed fine.
    >
    > The issue was initially not space per se but inodes. There was a little
    > space left on / but the inodes were used up. I discovered that
    > /root/.ccache had a ton of files in it. Deleted that, created
    > /tmp/.ccache and linked to it from /root. All went well after that,
    > with /tmp/.ccache being 103MB and 5301 files at compile's end.

    FreeBSD does not use ccache unless the local administrator explicitly
    configures it to do so, so this is a local problem and not a FreeBSD
    problem.

    Kris

  5. Re: 6.2 buildworld 'error' heads-up

    On 2007-01-14, semi-ambivalent wrote:

    > Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
    >> On 13 Jan 2007 13:26:29 -0800, "semi-ambivalent" wrote:
    >> > All,
    >> > Just finished compiling 6.2RELEASE after having a small
    >> > problem. buildworld and buildkernel went fine but
    >> > installkernel crapped out at some module because the root
    >> > filesystem was full. My root is just the way I like it; 128MB,
    >> > and I've never had this issue before. Even when I ran 4.x with
    >> > an 80MB root partition, build sequences completed fine.
    >> >
    >> > The issue was initially not space per se but inodes. There was
    >> > a little space left on / but the inodes were used up. I
    >> > discovered that /root/.ccache had a ton of files in it. Deleted
    >> > that, created /tmp/.ccache and linked to it from /root. All
    >> > went well after that, with /tmp/.ccache being 103MB and 5301
    >> > files at compile's end.

    >> That's a problem with the local setup, which uses ccache, though.
    >> Since the FreeBSD build process is unrelated to using ccache or
    >> not, ``6.2 buildworld'' is fine as it is

    > Hence my use of single quotes.

    Why would you send a "heads up" warning others about a problem that
    clearly only exists on your box? I detect some post-facto ass
    covering ("Yeah, I knew that")

    Kris

  6. Re: 6.2 buildworld 'error' heads-up

    On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:53:57 GMT, Kris Kennaway wrote:

    >>> That's a problem with the local setup, which uses ccache, though.
    >>> Since the FreeBSD build process is unrelated to using ccache or
    >>> not, ``6.2 buildworld'' is fine as it is

    >> Hence my use of single quotes.

    > Why would you send a "heads up" warning others about a problem that
    > clearly only exists on your box?

    With the release of 6.2 being out only just a short while ago, confusion
    from "quotes" or not may cause more harm than not.

    In the FreeBSD world we use "HEADS UP" notices to warn about potential
    problems. Since this is a non-issue for anyone using the documented,
    recommended way of rebuilding FreeBSD, using the term "heads up" may
    mistakenly give the impression that there is something wrong with
    6.2-RELEASE. There is _nothing_ wrong with 6.2-RELEASE -- at least
    nothing wrong with buildworld/installworld.

    Avoiding exactly this sort of confusion was precisely why I replied.

    Kris is right that you shouldn't send "HEADS UP" or "heads up" posts in
    a FreeBSD newsgroup, unless you are *pretty* *sure* it affects a lot of
    users *and* it's a known bug with the system. Otherwise, people may
    start thinking, falsely, that there is something wrong with FreeBSD.

    - Giorgos

+ Reply to Thread