Exporting display - BSD

This is a discussion on Exporting display - BSD ; Hie all, I'd like to export my gate display on my laptop and i got problems... config i've done: on my laptop, i have done it: xhost + mygate and on my gate i've done: setenv DISPLAY laptop_ip:0.0 when i'm ...

  1. Exporting display

    Hie all,

    I'd like to export my gate display on my laptop and i got problems...
    config i've done:

    on my laptop, i have done it: xhost + mygate

    and on my gate i've done: setenv DISPLAY laptop_ip:0.0

    when i'm on my gate by shh and i launch `mplayer movie.avi`, it does not
    work and i have no error and then i stop it.

    thanks in advance.

    --
    Mike

  2. Re: Exporting display

    Mike writes:

    > I'd like to export my gate display on my laptop and i got problems...
    > config i've done:
    >
    > on my laptop, i have done it: xhost + mygate
    >
    > and on my gate i've done: setenv DISPLAY laptop_ip:0.0
    >
    > when i'm on my gate by shh and i launch `mplayer movie.avi`, it does
    > not work and i have no error and then i stop it.

    If you're connecting via ssh anyway, use its X forwarding feature:

    ssh -X mygate
    mplayer ...

    On mygate /etc/ssh/sshd_config must contain
    X11Forwarding yes
    for this to work.

    Mit schönem Gruß
    - Thomas

    --
    /* PGP key auf Wunsch per e-mail || PGP key sent on request */

  3. Re: Exporting display

    On 2007-01-11, Thomas Köllmann wrote:
    > Mike writes:
    >
    >> I'd like to export my gate display on my laptop and i got problems...
    >> config i've done:
    >>
    >> on my laptop, i have done it: xhost + mygate

    xhost +mygate, no space after +.

    >> and on my gate i've done: setenv DISPLAY laptop_ip:0.0
    >>
    >> when i'm on my gate by shh and i launch `mplayer movie.avi`, it does
    >> not work and i have no error and then i stop it.

    Watching movies over the network this way is unlikely to work well.
    Apart from other problems the bandwidth is too low to send the
    uncompressed graphics stream over the network. Instead run mplayer on
    your laptop against an exported copy of the file, e.g. mount it via
    NFS.

    > If you're connecting via ssh anyway, use its X forwarding feature:
    >
    > ssh -X mygate
    > mplayer ...

    You probably want ssh -Y thesedays otherwise many X applications won't
    work properly.

    Kris

+ Reply to Thread