Considering FreeBsd with this hardware spec.. - BSD

This is a discussion on Considering FreeBsd with this hardware spec.. - BSD ; Hi all, I want to install Freebsd as a heavy fileserver to serve my cyber cafe with 45 PCs.. my server is build from: AMD64 3500+ 512MB Biostar TF550 nforce motherboard - with onboard raid controller (nvraid) 2 x 160 ...

  1. Considering FreeBsd with this hardware spec..

    Hi all,

    I want to install Freebsd as a heavy fileserver to serve my cyber cafe
    with 45 PCs.. my server is build from:

    AMD64 3500+
    512MB
    Biostar TF550 nforce motherboard - with onboard raid controller
    (nvraid)
    2 x 160 SATA II Seagate running on RAID-0 with nvraid
    Onboard Gigabit NIC.

    I need the freebsd to support the Nvraid... this is my major concern..
    do anyone have any comment on the server i set?? any info whether
    FreeBSD support the hardware i listed? I know Freebsd is famous on it's
    reliability and robustness.. that's wat i need for the gamefile
    server..

    Thanks & regards,
    Max.

  2. Re: Considering FreeBsd with this hardware spec..

    > Hi all,

    Hello.

    > I want to install Freebsd as a heavy fileserver to serve my cyber cafe
    > with 45 PCs.. my server is build from:
    >
    > AMD64 3500+
    > 512MB
    > Biostar TF550 nforce motherboard - with onboard raid controller
    > (nvraid)
    > 2 x 160 SATA II Seagate running on RAID-0 with nvraid
    > Onboard Gigabit NIC.

    nVidia and FreeBSD is a very sad story... Everything is always work in
    progress. The 'nve driver' for nforce NIC doesn't support nForce 5x at this
    moment (at least in RELENG_6). However there is a port of OpenBSD nfe driver
    (my server works with it). Look here:
    http://www.se.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/~shi...eebsd-nfe.html

    > I need the freebsd to support the Nvraid... this is my major concern..

    There is 'some' support for nvRaid although not full at the moment (mostly
    software? I'm not sure).

    > do anyone have any comment on the server i set?? any info whether
    > FreeBSD support the hardware i listed? I know Freebsd is famous on it's
    > reliability and robustness.. that's wat i need for the gamefile
    > server..

    Yeah It's stable and reliable but AMD64 platform is very young to FreeBSD
    and a lot of development is still to be done (better hardware and SMP
    support for instance)

  3. Re: Considering FreeBsd with this hardware spec..

    so do FreeBsd have software-RAID ???

    Thanks.

    Max.

  4. Re: Considering FreeBsd with this hardware spec..

    "max" writes:

    > so do FreeBsd have software-RAID ???

    Yes.

  5. Re: Considering FreeBsd with this hardware spec..

    On Jan 15, 10:37 pm, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
    > "max" writes:
    > > so do FreeBsd have software-RAID ???Yes.

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread