    Is SMC's SMCWPCI-G card supported natively by FreeBSD 6(-STABLE)?

    It's an Atheros chip, but 'man ath' doesn't mention it.

  2. Re: [Wi-Fi] SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?

    On 2007-01-10, Lars Stokholm wrote:
    > Is SMC's SMCWPCI-G card supported natively by FreeBSD 6(-STABLE)?

    I was told that it is, but it doesn't show up in 'ifconfig', after
    I would need to do?

  3. Re: [Wi-Fi] SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?

    On 01/12/2007 04:00 AM, Lars Stokholm wrote:
    > On 2007-01-10, Lars Stokholm wrote:
    >> Is SMC's SMCWPCI-G card supported natively by FreeBSD 6(-STABLE)?

    > I was told that it is, but it doesn't show up in 'ifconfig', after
    > I would need to do?

    Try:

    kldload if_ath

    instead, and look at dmesg |tail

    Anu's Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, Knoppix

  4. Re: [Wi-Fi] SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?

    On 2007-01-12, Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman wrote:
    >> I was told that it is, but it doesn't show up in 'ifconfig', after
    >> I would need to do?

    > Try:
    >
    > kldload if_ath

    Sorry, that was in fact what I did. Not 'kldload ath' like I said.

    > instead, and look at dmesg |tail

    There's only one line; one regarding ath_hal. I don't recall
    exactly what it said, but if it's of any interest, I will of
    course find out.

    Thanks.

  5. Re: [Wi-Fi] SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?

    On 01/12/2007 11:59 AM, Lars Stokholm wrote:
    >> Try:
    >>
    >> kldload if_ath

    > Sorry, that was in fact what I did. Not 'kldload ath' like I said.
    >
    >> instead, and look at dmesg |tail

    > There's only one line; one regarding ath_hal. I don't recall
    > exactly what it said, but if it's of any interest, I will of
    > course find out.

    You need to check if the said WLAN NIC is recognized by ath(4) driver:

    # gmesg |grep ^ath

    If the above does not reveal anything about ath[0-9], your NIC may not
    be based on Atheros chipset.

    BTW, is it possible you tell us more about your WLAN NIC; is it a
    (Mini)-PCI and, or USB?

    Have you read
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...-wireless.html

    Hope that helps,
    Anu's Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, Knoppix

  6. Re: [Wi-Fi] SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?

    On 2007-01-12, Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman wrote:
    > You need to check if the said WLAN NIC is recognized by ath(4) driver:
    >
    > # gmesg |grep ^ath

    No results.

    > If the above does not reveal anything about ath[0-9], your NIC may not
    > be based on Atheros chipset.

    You may be right:
    http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibilit...CIG/SMCWPCIGEU

    Damnit, I just bought it, specifically for FreeBSD.

    > BTW, is it possible you tell us more about your WLAN NIC; is it a
    > (Mini)-PCI and, or USB?

    PCI; this is the card:
    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...id=31&pid=1461

    > Have you read
    > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...-wireless.html

    Yep.

    > Hope that helps,

    In any case, thank you for trying.

  7. Re: [Wi-Fi] SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?

    On 01/12/2007 05:54 PM, Lars Stokholm wrote:
    > On 2007-01-12, Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman wrote:
    >> You need to check if the said WLAN NIC is recognized by ath(4) driver:
    >>
    >> # gmesg |grep ^ath

    > No results.

    So, the said NIC is not based on Atheros chipset.

    >> If the above does not reveal anything about ath[0-9], your NIC may not
    >> be based on Atheros chipset.

    > You may be right:
    > http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibilit...CIG/SMCWPCIGEU
    >
    > Damnit, I just bought it, specifically for FreeBSD.

    Try pciinfo, to find the VendorID and ProductID info; this too can help
    you to guess next possible driver for the said NIC.

    >> BTW, is it possible you tell us more about your WLAN NIC; is it a
    >> (Mini)-PCI and, or USB?

    > PCI; this is the card:
    > http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...id=31&pid=1461

    They do not have any mention on Atheros not even in the Data sheet for
    this card.

    [snipped]

    > In any case, thank you for trying.

    You're welocome!

    IMHO, all the Compex range is based on Atheros chipsets.

    Anu's Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, Knoppix

  8. Re: [Wi-Fi] SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?

    On 2007-01-12, Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman wrote:
    > So, the said NIC is not based on Atheros chipset.

    No, it's Realtek. Apparently newer versions of this card use Realtek
    instead of Atheros. The text printed on the chip says "RLT8185L". I
    didn't see that, until now.

    Anyway, I tried ndis'ing it, but the kernel panics with "Fatal trap
    12" (page fault), when I try to load the kernel module.

  9. Re: [Wi-Fi] SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?

    Lars Stokholm wrote:
    > No, it's Realtek. Apparently newer versions of this card use Realtek
    > instead of Atheros. The text printed on the chip says "RLT8185L". I
    > didn't see that, until now.

    Ah. the curse of changing the hardware inside.
    Since it is Realtek, have you tried the rl(4) or re(4) drivers?
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  10. Re: [Wi-Fi] SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?

    On 2007-01-13, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Since it is Realtek, have you tried the rl(4) or re(4) drivers?

    Yeah, but the 8185L chip isn't supported. Also it fails to
    load because "file exists"(?)

  11. Re: [Wi-Fi] SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?

    Lars Stokholm wrote:
    > On 2007-01-13, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    >> Since it is Realtek, have you tried the rl(4) or re(4) drivers?

    > Yeah, but the 8185L chip isn't supported. Also it fails to
    > load because "file exists"(?)

    That "files exists" thing usually means that the driver is compiled
    into the kernel.

    Looking a bit on Google, I have found this:
    a Linux driver project: http://rtl8180-sa2400.sourceforge.net/

    DragonflyBSD rtw driver "wants to support 8185L", but I do not know if
    it is there yet:
    http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarc.../msg00128.html

    Wikipedia doesn't have much either:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...reless_Drivers

    Right now, it doesn't look to good.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  12. Cheap wireless PCI card that just works? (was: Re: [Wi-Fi] SMCWPCI-G and FreeBSD 6?)

    On 2007-01-13, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Right now, it doesn't look to good.

    I think I'll try to sell the card with minimal loss.

    So now I'm back where I started, but this time I think I'm going to
    need some help. Can anyone recommend a (good) cheap wireless PCI card,
    that just works out of the box? The more popular the better.

    Is Atheros the prefered chip?

+ Reply to Thread