FBSD boatloader and GRUB question - BSD

This is a discussion on FBSD boatloader and GRUB question - BSD ; Hi gang, I have a laptop. Yeah. The original disk has windoze and Gentoo Linux on it. I have pulled that disk out, and put in a new, FreeBSD only disk. The original disk now resides in a USB/firewire enclosure, ...

  1. FBSD boatloader and GRUB question

    Hi gang,

    I have a laptop. Yeah. The original disk has windoze and
    Gentoo Linux on it. I have pulled that disk out, and put in
    a new, FreeBSD only disk.

    The original disk now resides in a USB/firewire enclosure,
    and I would like to use it to boot windoze (tax time is coming!)
    and Gentoo.

    Has anybody tried this, or found a good reference page
    they can point me at? I would prefer not swapping disks
    around...

    The FBSD bootloader "sees" the second disk, and selecting
    F5 I get the GRUB prompt, but windoze won't boot (not the first
    disk!), and Gentoo eventually fails in the boot at disk mount
    time (not sure I have a SCSI driver in the kernel, and the disk
    is not ad, but sd...)

    The other alternative would be leaving the original disk
    in the laptop, and placing the FreeBSD disk in the enclosure,
    but I am not high on having the primary use disk outside the
    box... Does that seem more the better choice?

    Bruce
    "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
    - Thuganlitha
    The Power and the Prophet
    Robert Don Hughes

  2. Re: FBSD boatloader and GRUB question

    Begin
    On 2007-01-10, Bruce Burden wrote:
    > The FBSD bootloader "sees" the second disk, and selecting
    > F5 I get the GRUB prompt, but windoze won't boot (not the first
    > disk!), and Gentoo eventually fails in the boot at disk mount
    > time (not sure I have a SCSI driver in the kernel, and the disk
    > is not ad, but sd...)

    So, the FreeBSD boot0 successfully hands off the booting sequence
    to grub, and grub successfully hands off the booting sequence to
    either linux or windows. What would you have FreeBSD do differently?

  3. Re: FBSD boatloader and GRUB question

    Bruce Burden wrote:
    > The FBSD bootloader "sees" the second disk, and selecting
    > F5 I get the GRUB prompt, but windoze won't boot (not the first
    > disk!), and Gentoo eventually fails in the boot at disk mount
    > time (not sure I have a SCSI driver in the kernel, and the disk
    > is not ad, but sd...)

    Are you using grub as your bootloader on the second disk? It looks that way.
    If so, you will need to change your grub setup so that it sees the
    correct disk. I don't know hiow to do that, but there are plenty of grub
    documentation out there.
    As you have spotted, your external disk have changed its name after its
    transformation from internal to external disk.
    You will also need to change any missing / wrong parts in each operating
    system (eg. scsi driver in Gentoo and so on).
    As for changing the windows install, which was installed on the internal
    disk, and now is on an external disk, I really don't know. But I guess
    if you Google long enough you could find a way.

    Good luck!
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  4. Re: FBSD boatloader and GRUB question

    :
    : Are you using grub as your bootloader on the second disk? It looks that way.
    :
    Yes, since the second disk was simply yanked out.
    :
    : If so, you will need to change your grub setup so that it sees the
    : correct disk. I don't know hiow to do that, but there are plenty of grub
    : documentation out there.
    :
    Too much. :-) And so Linux-centric to boot...
    :
    : You will also need to change any missing / wrong parts in each operating
    : system (eg. scsi driver in Gentoo and so on).
    :
    There was a blurb about changing the disk name to the the
    disk reference number, such as 0x602 for a SCSI disk. I know I
    have seen that before, but where... Perhaps it was in the SUSE
    docs?

    But, you may have a point. I wonder if there is a SCSI disk
    driver on the windoze area? Yeah, gotta be one, even if it is a
    generic MS driver.
    :
    : As for changing the windows install, which was installed on the internal
    : disk, and now is on an external disk, I really don't know. But I guess
    : if you Google long enough you could find a way.
    :
    It would be very helpful if there was some way of seeing
    what was going on, like a GRUB debug aid. :-)

    Bruce
    "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
    - Thuganlitha
    The Power and the Prophet
    Robert Don Hughes

  5. Re: FBSD boatloader and GRUB question

    jpd wrote:

    > Begin
    > On 2007-01-10, Bruce Burden wrote:
    >> The FBSD bootloader "sees" the second disk, and selecting
    >> F5 I get the GRUB prompt, but windoze won't boot (not the first
    >> disk!), and Gentoo eventually fails in the boot at disk mount
    >> time (not sure I have a SCSI driver in the kernel, and the disk
    >> is not ad, but sd...)

    > So, the FreeBSD boot0 successfully hands off the booting sequence
    > to grub, and grub successfully hands off the booting sequence to
    > either linux or windows. What would you have FreeBSD do differently?

    In theory that is a good solution, but as windows (xp/vista) does not reside
    on the first disk it will not boot. There may be a way round this but I
    have never found it. The best way to proceed is to have grub on the mbr of
    the first disk. Grub either boots windows or linux from the first disk or
    hands off to the BSD loader on the usb disk.

    Regards
    Fabian

+ Reply to Thread