Disk space disappearing (df) - BSD

This is a discussion on Disk space disappearing (df) - BSD ; I have a problem with missing disk space, if I am to believe the output of 'df'. And I have examined the usual culprits, such as lingering open files, or multiple small files. du -h for / (single mount) used ...

  1. Disk space disappearing (df)

    I have a problem with missing disk space, if I am to believe the output
    of 'df'. And I have examined the usual culprits, such as lingering open
    files, or multiple small files.

    du -h for / (single mount) used show approx 870 M used. That result was
    consistent with what 'df' used to report (recorded at the time):

    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/abcef 2064302 890776 1008382 47% /mnt/data

    ( No problem back then )

    My current output to du -h has changed little, /usr is down 64M and /var
    is up 33M. This currently sums to 840 M (according to du -h) which is in
    fact less than earlier. But df is now showing a very different output,
    far more than before:

    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused
    /dev/abcdef 2064302 1375832 523326 72% 21441 238141 8%

    How is it that the "blocks use" has increased by 54% (+473 M) while du is
    showing pretty much unchanged file/directory sizes?

    This FreeBSD 4.9 system is in a jail. I have stopped and restarted all
    services, and the jail has been rebooted. I have checked lsof and there
    are no lingering files open nor any unusual large files (e.g. no big,
    deleted but still open log files). I also have used find / and examined
    the list of approx 25,000 for any strange files, nothing unusual there.
    No strange large files using find to search for large files either.

    Any other ideas? What else can I try? All servers running within my root
    have been restarted, several times. Logs do grow large but are properly
    rotated with newsyslog. Could this be an anomaly of the jail?

    --
    Jem Berkes
    www.sysdesign.ca

  2. Re: Disk space disappearing (df)

    In article ,
    Jem Berkes writes:

    > How is it that the "blocks use" has increased by 54% (+473 M) while du is
    > showing pretty much unchanged file/directory sizes?

    Do you have a file system mount on /tmp mounted? Unmount /tmp
    and delete any files in the /tmp directory on /.

    --
    Steve
    http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

  3. Re: Disk space disappearing (df)

    kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steven G. Kargl) wrote in

    > In article ,
    > Jem Berkes writes:
    >>
    >> How is it that the "blocks use" has increased by 54% (+473 M) while
    >> du is showing pretty much unchanged file/directory sizes?

    > Do you have a file system mount on /tmp mounted? Unmount /tmp
    > and delete any files in the /tmp directory on /.

    In this setup, there is only one filesystem and it is mounted /
    There is no separate filesystem mounted for tmp, var, etc.

    --
    Jem Berkes
    www.sysdesign.ca

  4. Re: Disk space disappearing (df)

    > du -h for / (single mount) used show approx 870 M used. That result
    > was consistent with what 'df' used to report (recorded at the time):
    >
    > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    > /dev/abcef 2064302 890776 1008382 47% /mnt/data
    >
    > ( No problem back then )
    >
    > My current output to du -h has changed little, /usr is down 64M and
    > /var is up 33M. This currently sums to 840 M (according to du -h)
    > which is in fact less than earlier. But df is now showing a very
    > different output, far more than before:
    >
    > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused
    > /dev/abcdef 2064302 1375832 523326 72% 21441 238141 8%
    >
    > How is it that the "blocks use" has increased by 54% (+473 M) while du
    > is showing pretty much unchanged file/directory sizes?

    The fellas who have root above jail reconstructed the filesystem for me
    (cleared and then moved files back). This solved my problem, I now see:

    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/abcdef 2064302 864198 1034960 46% /mnt/data

    Which is an incredible difference. Problem solved, apparently.

    --
    Jem Berkes
    www.sysdesign.ca

+ Reply to Thread