nut-ups on mac os x ( where is the /dev/tty?? ) - BSD

This is a discussion on nut-ups on mac os x ( where is the /dev/tty?? ) - BSD ; Hello. Can someone help me install the net-ups software for Belkin devices in apples tiger? I know how to do it linux but that seems to be different from bsd. What I did until know: I have a serial to ...

  1. nut-ups on mac os x ( where is the /dev/tty?? )

    Hello.

    Can someone help me install the net-ups software for Belkin devices in
    apples tiger? I know how to do it linux but that seems to be different
    from bsd.

    What I did until know:

    I have a serial to usb adapter which gets recognized by ths system.

    In /etc/nut/ups.conf i configured
    [nausciaa]
    nolock
    driver = belkinunv
    port = /dev/ttys0
    desc = "1200VA on nausciaa"

    since in linux the port is ttyS0, so I thought ttys0 would be ok since
    its already in dev.

    But when I start

    nausciaa:/usr/local/nut_ups root# bin/upsdrvctl -v -u root start
    Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
    exec: /usr/local/nut_ups/bin/belkinunv -a nausciaa -u root
    Network UPS Tools - Belkin 'Universal UPS' driver 0.06 (2.0.4)

    Failed write to UPS
    Failed write to UPS
    ...snip
    Cannot read from UPS

    Could someone give me a starting point?

    Could it be that ttys0 is wrong?

    Thanks and greetings

    Robert Welz

    --
    http://www.fixe-post.de

  2. Re: nut-ups on mac os x ( where is the /dev/tty?? )

    Robert Welz wrote:
    > What I did until know:
    >
    > I have a serial to usb adapter which gets recognized by ths system.

    As what? (device-name).

    > In /etc/nut/ups.conf i configured
    > [nausciaa]
    > nolock
    > driver = belkinunv
    > port = /dev/ttys0
    > desc = "1200VA on nausciaa"
    >
    > since in linux the port is ttyS0, so I thought ttys0 would be ok since
    > its already in dev.

    Well - as you ask here in a FreeBSD-Group: It would more likely be named
    like /dev/ucom0 (on 5.x) or /dev/cuaU0 (on 6.x).

    If you want to find out which device-names are typically used by
    Mac-OS better ask in a Mac-OS group.

    cu
    Clemens.
    --
    /"\ http://czauner.onlineloop.com/
    \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN

  3. Re: nut-ups on mac os x ( where is the /dev/tty?? )

    Clemens Zauner wrote:

    > Robert Welz wrote:
    > > What I did until know:
    > >
    > > I have a serial to usb adapter which gets recognized by ths system.

    > As what? (device-name).
    >
    > > In /etc/nut/ups.conf i configured
    > > [nausciaa]
    > > nolock
    > > driver = belkinunv
    > > port = /dev/ttys0
    > > desc = "1200VA on nausciaa"
    > >
    > > since in linux the port is ttyS0, so I thought ttys0 would be ok since
    > > its already in dev.

    > Well - as you ask here in a FreeBSD-Group: It would more likely be named
    > like /dev/ucom0 (on 5.x) or /dev/cuaU0 (on 6.x).
    >
    > If you want to find out which device-names are typically used by
    > Mac-OS better ask in a Mac-OS group.
    >
    > cu
    > Clemens.

    Thank you very much.