encryption question - BSD

This is a discussion on encryption question - BSD ; I know I can encrypt a file using enigma, but what if I wanted to encrypt just a line of text. Are there encryption utilities to handle this?...

  1. encryption question

    I know I can encrypt a file using enigma, but what if I wanted to encrypt
    just a line of text. Are there encryption utilities to handle this?

  2. Re: encryption question

    On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:10:17 -0500, "Max Files"
    wrote:

    >I know I can encrypt a file using enigma, but what if I wanted to encrypt
    >just a line of text. Are there encryption utilities to handle this?

    Take a look at /usr/ports/security/gnupg

    Or if you want to use a simple passphrase, openssl is the way to go

    [cage]% echo "this is a test" | openssl enc -aes-128-cbc -base64 -k
    pass
    U2FsdGVkX1+gkWRJo5W7PGBLpilZmlEx3+cKML+32to=
    [cage]%
    [cage]%
    [cage]% echo "U2FsdGVkX1+gkWRJo5W7PGBLpilZmlEx3+cKML+32to=" | openssl
    aes-128-cbc -d -base64 -k pass
    this is a test
    [cage]%

    ---Mike
    Mike Tancsa, Sentex communications http://www.sentex.net
    Providing Internet Access since 1994
    mike@sentex.net, (http://www.tancsa.com)

  3. Re: encryption question

    On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 22:10:17 -0000, Max Files wrote:

    > I know I can encrypt a file using enigma, but what if I wanted to encrypt
    > just a line of text. Are there encryption utilities to handle this?

    If you use Vim, just:

    $vim -x

    It will password protect your file but I haven't got a clue about how
    strong
    that protection is, ultimately nothing beats gpg. (IMHO)

  4. Re: encryption question

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:19:57 -0000
    macarro wrote:

    > that protection is, ultimately nothing beats gpg. (IMHO)

    OT - but one time pads with well protected pads are unbreakable in
    principle.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  5. Re: encryption question

    > On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 22:10:17 -0000, Max Files wrote:
    > > I know I can encrypt a file using enigma, but what if I wanted to encrypt
    > > just a line of text. Are there encryption utilities to handle this?
    > >

    > If you use Vim, just:
    >
    > $vim -x
    >
    > It will password protect your file but I haven't got a clue about how
    > strong
    > that protection is, ultimately nothing beats gpg. (IMHO)

    mailcrypt has mc-encrypt-region and mc-decrypt commands that might
    work for you.

    mike

+ Reply to Thread