Sound Problems. - BSD

This is a discussion on Sound Problems. - BSD ; I got new computer from walmart for Christmas, its an amd64 CPU - everything works fine but the Nvivida "snd_hda" sound card. Here are the computer specifications http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...Specifications Anyway, I found this: http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/lowlatency/ Anyone got the above to work? It ...

  1. Sound Problems.

    I got new computer from walmart for Christmas, its an amd64 CPU - everything
    works fine but the Nvivida "snd_hda" sound card.
    Here are the computer specifications
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...Specifications

    Anyway, I found this:
    http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/lowlatency/

    Anyone got the above to work?
    It says:

    0. _Remove_ _all_ sound support in your kernel! Do this first before
    anything else!
    1. Extract, dump everything into your kernel directory typically
    "/boot/kernel"
    2. kldxref /boot/kernel
    3. cp soundcard.h /usr/include/sys/
    4. Reload _ALL_ sound modules, or, reboot.

    I don't want to hose my system, When that says - remove ALL SOUND SUPPORT
    before anything else, uh, does that mean I should go into /boot/kernel dir
    and remove *all* of the other sound drivers and replace them with the
    tar-ball sound drivers listed above? Man, I'm lost on this. From what I
    understand snd_hda is supported by current/7.0 but you can use those
    drivers on 6x.
    If they work, why not kick them to 6-stable? Or have the above drivers been
    kicked to stable? If so, I just do a buildworld and I will have the drivers
    I need. Are the above drivers I need in 6-stable?

    Basically, I just want to get my sound card working on an amd64 system. I
    downloaded the amd64 disk RC-6.2

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Sound Problems.

    Timmy wrote:
    > I got new computer from walmart for Christmas, its an amd64 CPU - everything
    > works fine but the Nvivida "snd_hda" sound card.
    > Here are the computer specifications
    > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...Specifications
    >
    > Anyway, I found this:
    > http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/lowlatency/
    >
    > Anyone got the above to work?
    > It says:
    >
    > 0. _Remove_ _all_ sound support in your kernel! Do this first before
    > anything else!
    > 1. Extract, dump everything into your kernel directory typically
    > "/boot/kernel"
    > 2. kldxref /boot/kernel
    > 3. cp soundcard.h /usr/include/sys/
    > 4. Reload _ALL_ sound modules, or, reboot.
    >
    > I don't want to hose my system, When that says - remove ALL SOUND SUPPORT
    > before anything else, uh, does that mean I should go into /boot/kernel dir
    > and remove *all* of the other sound drivers and replace them with the
    > tar-ball sound drivers listed above? Man, I'm lost on this. From what I
    > understand snd_hda is supported by current/7.0 but you can use those
    > drivers on 6x.

    No this means if you have a non generic kernel compiled with sound
    support, you should remove all the lines in the kernel config file
    referring to sound support, and recompile kernel.
    Then you should remove all sound modules
    in /boot/kernel, that is snd_*.ko and sound.ko and replace them by
    those in the tar ball provided by the developer.

    > If they work, why not kick them to 6-stable?

    Because in this procedure you replace sound drivers for other cards which
    work well at present and could be destabilized as a result. There is
    a reason why it is called FreeBSD-STABLE.

    --

    Michel TALON

  3. Re: Sound Problems.

    Am Wed, 03 Jan 2007 01:33:00 -0500 schrieb Timmy:

    > Anyway, I found this:
    > http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/lowlatency/
    >
    > Anyone got the above to work?
    > It says:
    >
    > 0. _Remove_ _all_ sound support in your kernel! Do this first before
    > anything else!
    > 1. Extract, dump everything into your kernel directory typically
    > "/boot/kernel"
    > 2. kldxref /boot/kernel
    > 3. cp soundcard.h /usr/include/sys/
    > 4. Reload _ALL_ sound modules, or, reboot.

    Exactly this works for 6.2 RC2 and 6.2 Release for the generic kernel
    without any problems.

    There is no need to recompile the kernel for this if you use the shipped
    generic one.

    You have to add ´snd_hda_load="YES"´ to /boot/loader.conf...

    --
    mit freundlichen Gruessen/with best regards,

    Matthias Haase

+ Reply to Thread