FreeBSD replacement for MS Small Business Server - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD replacement for MS Small Business Server - BSD ; Has anyone ever tried to set up a FreeBSD system as an alternative to a MS Small Business Server in a small Windows based workgroup?...

  1. FreeBSD replacement for MS Small Business Server

    Has anyone ever tried to set up a FreeBSD system as an alternative to a MS
    Small Business Server in a small Windows based workgroup?

  2. Re: FreeBSD replacement for MS Small Business Server

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:08:44 +0000, jp wrote:
    > Has anyone ever tried to set up a FreeBSD system as an alternative to
    > a MS Small Business Server in a small Windows based workgroup?

    What does ``MS Small Business Server'' do?

    FreeBSD is a full-featured, complete, extensible, customizable and
    heavily configurable UNIX-like operating system. But without knowing
    what the Microsoft-based server is supposed to do, it's not easy to
    answer if similar functionality exists in FreeBSD.

  3. Re: FreeBSD replacement for MS Small Business Server

    Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:08:44 +0000, jp wrote:
    >> Has anyone ever tried to set up a FreeBSD system as an alternative to
    >> a MS Small Business Server in a small Windows based workgroup?

    > What does ``MS Small Business Server'' do?

    It seems to be a 'musthave' for smal business/workgoups. I've never used it
    but there is a review here

    http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s235.htm

    > FreeBSD is a full-featured, complete, extensible, customizable and
    > heavily configurable UNIX-like operating system. But without knowing
    > what the Microsoft-based server is supposed to do, it's not easy to
    > answer if similar functionality exists in FreeBSD.

    From what I can make out FreeBSD + Samba + PostgreSQL/MySQL + an Exchange
    replacement should do the job, but I'm not sure.

  4. Re: FreeBSD replacement for MS Small Business Server

    jp writes:

    Hi,

    > From what I can make out FreeBSD + Samba + PostgreSQL/MySQL + an Exchange
    > replacement should do the job, but I'm not sure.

    It won't replace a 2003 SBS, as Samba 3 can't act as an AD PDC, but only
    as a NT PDC.

    Regarding other services, all of them have open source counterparts, but
    regarding administration, there's nothing like mmc and associated
    plugins.

    Maybe Webmin or IdealX Management Console could be acceptable solutions.

    --
    Neuneu, moi ? Peut-être. En tout cas, je ne le fais pas exprès. Ca vient
    tout seul. Des fois, un mot, même insignifiant, et ça part. Tenez, dites

  5. Re: FreeBSD replacement for MS Small Business Server

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:09:06 +0000, jp wrote:
    > It seems to be a 'musthave' for smal business/workgoups. I've never
    > used it but there is a review here
    >
    > http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s235.htm

    I see. Thanks for the link

    Apparently, the package includes:

    * Microsoft Windows 2003

    * Exchange Server 2003

    * Sharepoint Services

    The features supported by these include (but are not limited to):

    * Active Directory

    * Email, through Exchange

    * Other non-email related Exchange features (shared calendars, etc.)

    * Sharepoint for web 'applications'

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:01:51 +0100, Eric Masson wrote:
    >jp writes:
    >> From what I can make out FreeBSD + Samba + PostgreSQL/MySQL + an
    >> Exchange replacement should do the job, but I'm not sure.

    > It won't replace a 2003 SBS, as Samba 3 can't act as an AD PDC, but
    > only as a NT PDC.
    >
    > Regarding other services, all of them have open source counterparts,
    > but regarding administration, there's nothing like mmc and associated
    > plugins.

    Active Directory seems to be the only feature of the Microsoft package
    which isn't available on FreeBSD. At least not available as an
    'integrated feature of the Windows desktops of a small team'.

    Pretty much everything else is supported by FreeBSD, using free software
    and open source programs :-)

    Administration costs should be factored in too, when making a choice.
    Both Windows and FreeBSD need at least *some* administrative care to set
    up and get going. Which is one fits better for the task at hand is
    something that can only be answered on a case-by-case basis.

    But, to answer the original poster's question, ``If you don't really
    depend on Active Directory, for some reason, then yes, it is possible to
    set up a BSD system as a replacement for this particular Microsoft
    solution''.

    - Giorgos

  6. Re: FreeBSD replacement for MS Small Business Server

    jp wrote:
    > Has anyone ever tried to set up a FreeBSD system as an alternative to a MS
    > Small Business Server in a small Windows based workgroup?

    You could try, with a combination of alfresco, open-xchange and Samba.
    But it might be a big task to get all these working together

    I think I read that SBS can be a nightmare of a monster to debug, in
    case something goes wrong.
    The reason is that it installs so many things at once all on the same
    physical server.

    cheers,
    Rainer

  7. Re: FreeBSD replacement for MS Small Business Server

    Eric Masson wrote:
    > jp writes:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    >> From what I can make out FreeBSD + Samba + PostgreSQL/MySQL + an Exchange
    >> replacement should do the job, but I'm not sure.

    > It won't replace a 2003 SBS, as Samba 3 can't act as an AD PDC, but only
    > as a NT PDC.

    Samba 3.x has got some limited AD support, and their v4 software is
    supposed to be fully compatible.

    > Regarding other services, all of them have open source counterparts, but
    > regarding administration, there's nothing like mmc and associated
    > plugins.

    What is the open-source counterpart to MS Exchange?

    > Maybe Webmin or IdealX Management Console could be acceptable solutions.

  8. Re: FreeBSD replacement for MS Small Business Server

    Perhaps this: http://www.open-xchange.com/
    or this http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.html
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,