[ANN]: 'twander' 3.210 Released And Available - BSD

This is a discussion on [ANN]: 'twander' 3.210 Released And Available - BSD ; (Apologies for two releases in less than a week. It was, um... necessary. This should be it for quite a while barring any notable bug reports.) 'twander' Version 3.210 is now released and available for download at: http://www.tundraware.com/Software/twander The last ...

  1. [ANN]: 'twander' 3.210 Released And Available

    (Apologies for two releases in less than a week. It was, um...
    necessary. This should be it for quite a while barring any notable
    bug reports.)

    'twander' Version 3.210 is now released and available for download at:

    http://www.tundraware.com/Software/twander

    The last public release was 3.204.

    If you are unfamiliar with this pure-Python program, see the end
    of this message for a brief description or see the website above.

    NEW FEATURES

    - Implemented Association exclusions. You can now exclude the named
    file types from being associated with an application:

    ASSOC ! *.txt *.ps *.pdf

    This is handy if you want to use a default association for most
    things, but have a select group of files not be affected by the
    default and thereby passed down to the OS for normal processing.

    - Any association (normal, default, exclusion) can be removed by
    leaving the right-hand-side blank:

    ASSOC *.foo
    ASSOC *
    ASSOC !

    This is useful within conditional blocks when you want to define
    'twander' behavior differently based on some condition you're
    checking. Another use is to undefine an Association that was put in
    place in a global configuration you .included into your setup.

    CHANGES

    - All association checks are now case-insensitive under Windows.

    - Association "types" now support filename "globbing" meta-
    characters. This means that association statements supported in the
    previous release need to be changed slightly. This:

    ASSOC .txt ...

    Need to be changed to this:

    ASSOC *.txt ....

    This feature enables far more complete filename type specification
    than was previously possible with just the "filename ends with .."
    semantic.

    - If a file is selected and the user double-clicks or hits "Enter",
    and that file is not executable AND has no applicable association
    defined, 'twander' will present an error message. It does this
    only on the Unix-like systems. On Windows, the request is
    handed down to the underlying OS without comment because
    Windows itself may have an applicable association.

    DOCUMENTATION

    - The manual has been updated and corrected in several places.

    - Documentation for the new features has been added.

    described in the documentation.

    A FreeBSD port has been submitted as well.

    What Is 'twander'?
    ------------------

    'twander' is a macro-programmable Filesystem Browser that runs on both
    Unix-like systems as well as Win32 systems. It embraces the best ideas
    of both similar GUI-driven programs (Konqueror, Windows Explorer) as
    well as text-based interfaces (Midnight Commander, List, Sweep).

    Or, If You Prefer The "Elevator Pitch"
    --------------------------------------

    'twander' is:

    - A better file browser for Unix and Win32.
    (Tested on FreeBSD, Linux, Win32. Probably works on Mac OS/X, but not tested.)
    - A way to make browsing the same on all the OSs you use.
    - A macro-programmable tool that lets *you* define the features.
    - A GUI navigation front-end for your shell.
    - A way to "can" workflows for your technically-challenged colleagues.
    - A way to free yourself from the shackles of the mouse.
    - A way to significantly speed up your day-to-day workflow.
    - A Python/Tkinter application - about 5000 lines of code/comments
    - A RCT (Really Cool Tool) that will have you addicted in a day or two

    See the web page for more information, a screen shot, and the complete
    documentation.

    twander@tundraware.com

  2. Re: [ANN]: 'twander' 3.210 Released And Available

    Tim Daneliuk wrote:
    > (Apologies for two releases in less than a week. It was, um...
    > necessary. This should be it for quite a while barring any notable
    > bug reports.)

    A suggestion: move the "What Is 'twander'?" section to the top to give
    the reader a reference.

    Without some sort of "what is it" coming first, the new features section
    might as well say "Now flamises your bodliparper!" and "Kugglesnitching
    optional, with or without flinkswooper!"

    (Incidentally, I triple-dare to you add a feature with any of those
    names.)

  3. Re: [ANN]: 'twander' 3.210 Released And Available

    Warren Block wrote:
    > Tim Daneliuk wrote:
    >> (Apologies for two releases in less than a week. It was, um...
    >> necessary. This should be it for quite a while barring any notable
    >> bug reports.)

    > A suggestion: move the "What Is 'twander'?" section to the top to give
    > the reader a reference.

    Point taken and will do in the future.

    > Without some sort of "what is it" coming first, the new features section
    > might as well say "Now flamises your bodliparper!" and "Kugglesnitching
    > optional, with or without flinkswooper!"
    >
    > (Incidentally, I triple-dare to you add a feature with any of those
    > names.)

    Heh, heh, heh ... I may just do that ... and name them in *your* honor

    Tim Daneliuk tundra@tundraware.com
    PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

+ Reply to Thread