Hello,

I am trying to learn a bit more on how gvinum works out in a day-to-day
situation.
For this purpose, I have a server which has four identical disks in
addition to ad0, on which I have installed FreeBSD 6.x.
It looks like this:
root@kg-fil# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-fil.kg4.no 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #9: Tue Oct
3 23:08:46 CEST 2006 root@kg-fil.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FIL60
amd64
root@kg-fil# atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
Master: ad0 ATA/ATAPI revision 7
Slave: no device present
ATA channel 1:
Master: acd0 ATA/ATAPI revision 0
Slave: no device present
ATA channel 2:
Master: ad4 Serial ATA II
Slave: no device present
ATA channel 3:
Master: ad6 Serial ATA II
Slave: no device present
ATA channel 4:
Master: ad8 Serial ATA II
Slave: no device present
ATA channel 5:
Master: ad10 Serial ATA II
Slave: no device present

As you can see, the ad0 disk is PATA, and the other disks are SATA.
I have read the Handbook chapter on (g)vinum:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...num-vinum.html

I wonder; are there any guides on setting up gvinum out there that are
easier to follow than this?
I tried googling, but only found articles on hardware raid, and on
software raid-1, which isn't what I want to do.

A step-by-step guide for setting up 4 disks in a raid-5 plex would have
been welcome.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway