FreeBSD 6.1 with USB - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD 6.1 with USB - BSD ; Hello, friends. I'd like to connect my mp3 to my FreeBSD machine. I look up into handbook and do as what it saids. However, I cannot locate the device da0s1 in my /dev so that I cannot mount it. Any ...

  1. FreeBSD 6.1 with USB

    Hello, friends. I'd like to connect my mp3 to my FreeBSD machine. I
    look up into handbook and do as what it saids. However, I cannot locate
    the device da0s1 in my /dev so that I cannot mount it. Any help? Thanks!

  2. Re: FreeBSD 6.1 with USB

    bailaohe@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello, friends. I'd like to connect my mp3 to my FreeBSD machine. I
    > look up into handbook and do as what it saids. However, I cannot locate
    > the device da0s1 in my /dev so that I cannot mount it. Any help? Thanks!

    First of all, before you insert the device do "tail -f
    /var/log/messages" and you'll see how the device is detected, that will
    give you the ideas how is it recognized and what /dev entry to use

    --

    Us
    http://www.sweet-sorrow.com

  3. Re: FreeBSD 6.1 with USB

    Us wrote:
    > bailaohe@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hello, friends. I'd like to connect my mp3 to my FreeBSD machine. I
    >> look up into handbook and do as what it saids. However, I cannot
    >> locate the device da0s1 in my /dev so that I cannot mount it. Any
    >> help? Thanks!
    >>

    > First of all, before you insert the device do "tail -f
    > /var/log/messages" and you'll see how the device is detected, that will
    > give you the ideas how is it recognized and what /dev entry to use

    -Assuming that your mp3 gadget is recognised at all! As there is also the
    possibility that your player doesn't support standard direct disk access
    to itself. In which case it may work with a special driver provided
    (usually only for windows), but FreeBSD will never assign a da_ device to it.

    Buy the way, (OP) if you are posting in English anyway, could you please
    make sure that you don't post using simplified chineese encoding here! An
    iso-8859-1, cp437 or US ASCII encoding will make your messages more
    readable on other people's systems.

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  4. Re: FreeBSD 6.1 with USB

    Keve Nagy a écrit :

    > Us wrote:
    >> bailaohe@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Hello, friends. I'd like to connect my mp3 to my FreeBSD machine. I
    >>> look up into handbook and do as what it saids. However, I cannot
    >>> locate the device da0s1 in my /dev so that I cannot mount it. Any
    >>> help? Thanks!

    Hi,

    For a unknown reason, I can use my USB stick with the GENERIC kernel.

    I have compiled my own kernel, which works fine with it.

    I set in my kernel conf:

    ..../...
    device scbus # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
    device da # Direct Access (disks)
    device pass # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
    device cd # CD (burn DVD via CAM)
    ..../...
    device uhci # UHCI PCI->USB interface
    device ohci # OHCI PCI->USB interface
    device ehci # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
    device usb # USB Bus (required)
    device ugen # Generic
    #device ulpt # Printer (don't enable it with hplip)
    device umass # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da

    HTH.

    --
    Fred.

+ Reply to Thread