putting HDD in another machine - BSD

This is a discussion on putting HDD in another machine - BSD ; Hi I posted a while back (here and on the lists) about a non-profit organisation for which I had installed a 5.5-RELEASE system. We now have managed to score a _much_ faster machine, but rather than re-installing, I'm wondering if ...

  1. putting HDD in another machine

    Hi
    I posted a while back (here and on the lists) about a non-profit
    organisation for which I had installed a 5.5-RELEASE system.

    We now have managed to score a _much_ faster machine, but rather than
    re-installing, I'm wondering if I can build the GENERIC kernel (the
    current one, RACHI, is - obviously - built on the production machine),
    and then 'transplant' the two hard drives into this new machine. I'd
    then _re_configure the kernel for the new server.

    Is this possible? Am I making sense?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: putting HDD in another machine

    Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein wrote:

    > We now have managed to score a _much_ faster machine, but rather than
    > re-installing, I'm wondering if I can build the GENERIC kernel (the
    > current one, RACHI, is - obviously - built on the production machine),
    > and then 'transplant' the two hard drives into this new machine. I'd
    > then _re_configure the kernel for the new server.
    >
    > Is this possible? Am I making sense?

    this is absolutely possible : I even did so to install new machines, by just
    cloning the hard disk.

    If your new machine is fast enough, you may even want to keep the GENERIC
    kernel (most extra devices can be added at boot time with the loader - see
    loader.conf)

    you may also want to switch to 6.1 or wait just a little bit and upgrade to
    6.2 - in my experience, 6.x is more efficient than 5.x

    TfH

    --
    retirez les "------%------" pour une adresse correcte

  3. Re: putting HDD in another machine

    On 2006-12-14, Thierry Herbelot <------%------thierry------%------@herbelot.com> wrote ...
    > Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein wrote:
    >>
    >> We now have managed to score a _much_ faster machine, but rather than
    >> re-installing, I'm wondering if I can build the GENERIC kernel (the
    >> current one, RACHI, is - obviously - built on the production machine),
    >> and then 'transplant' the two hard drives into this new machine. I'd
    >> then _re_configure the kernel for the new server.
    >>
    >> Is this possible? Am I making sense?

    > this is absolutely possible : I even did so to install new machines, by just
    > cloning the hard disk.
    >
    > If your new machine is fast enough, you may even want to keep the GENERIC
    > kernel (most extra devices can be added at boot time with the loader - see
    > loader.conf)
    >
    > you may also want to switch to 6.1 or wait just a little bit and upgrade to
    > 6.2 - in my experience, 6.x is more efficient than 5.x

    Lovely, thanks for that. It's almost a pity to discard the 'old' machine,;
    as it's running like a dream, now...

    [yitzhak@rachi]/home/yitzhak(58): uptime
    7:28PM up 35 days, 4:30, 5 users, load averages: 0.07, 0.02, 0.01

  4. Re: putting HDD in another machine

    Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein wrote:
    > Lovely, thanks for that. It's almost a pity to discard the 'old' machine,;
    > as it's running like a dream, now...

    Oh, I'm sure you need a test machine. :-)
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  5. Re: putting HDD in another machine

    On 2006-12-14, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote ...
    > Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein wrote:
    >> Lovely, thanks for that. It's almost a pity to discard the 'old' machine,;
    >> as it's running like a dream, now...

    > Oh, I'm sure you need a test machine. :-)

    *smile*

  6. Re: putting HDD in another machine

    Yitzhak Isaac Goldstein wrote:
    > Is this possible? Am I making sense?

    Yes, I've done that. If you are running X, the video driver and the X
    configuration file will be the biggest problem. You could either turn
    off xdm or boot into single user mode to configure. But you probably
    already know that.

+ Reply to Thread