acroread7 problem - BSD

This is a discussion on acroread7 problem - BSD ; Good Evening Newsgroup, I installed print/acroread7 2 days ago and I remember that I even started it once to see if it works, and it did. Today I tried to run it, but it always fails. I pkg_delete-ed acroread and ...

  1. acroread7 problem

    Good Evening Newsgroup,

    I installed print/acroread7 2 days ago and I remember that I even started
    it once to see if it works, and it did.
    Today I tried to run it, but it always fails.
    I pkg_delete-ed acroread and the wrapper, and built acroread7 again from
    source, but it still fails to run. The error message it produces is:

    ELF binary type "3" not known.
    ldconfig: illegal option -- p
    usage: ldconfig [-32] [-aout | -elf] [-Rimrsv] [-f hints_file]
    [directory | file ...]
    ELF binary type "3" not known.
    /usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: 1: Syntax
    error: "(" unexpected

    Is there anybody else experiencing similar problems in the last 2 days?
    Do you know how to solve th eproblem?

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)duf(dot)hu

  2. Re: acroread7 problem

    Keve Nagy wrote:
    > I installed print/acroread7 2 days ago and I remember that I even started
    > it once to see if it works, and it did.
    > Today I tried to run it, but it always fails.

    Are you sure you haven't removeed the Linuxolator from your machine?
    (test with 'kldstat | grep linux')
    Or some other Linux port?
    acroread is a Linux program, and needs the Linuxolator, Linux-base and
    some more Linux ports to work.

    HTH
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: acroread7 problem

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Are you sure you haven't removeed the Linuxolator from your machine?

    On the contrary.
    I am absolutely certain that I DON'T HAVE Linuxulator.
    I even have linux_enable="NO" in rc.conf, and when I installed FreeBSD and
    sysinstall asked me if I want Linux compatibility I intentionally answered NO.

    For this reason, I didn't expect acroread7 to work in the first place. And
    if I had had the mentioned error message the first time I started the
    program I wouldn't have been surprised. But, for my greatest surprise, it
    did work, and acroread nicely showed up on my desktop.
    So I concluded that I don't need Linuxulator in order to use Acroread7.

    And today, it doesn't work.
    So my confusion is, why did it work 2 days ago and not today.
    I even had a complete buildworld after installing without Linuxulator and
    having linux_enable="NO" in rc.conf. And acroread7 was installed way after
    that, and it worked.

    I am wondering what could have changed by simply rebooting the machine?
    Could it be that when building the port, it sort of loaded requirements
    into memory for the compilation. Therefore, when I started acroread after
    the "make install", it could work. But with a reboot, these requirements
    did not reload, therefore it doesn't run now.
    This would be pretty hard to imagine.
    Especially that I even tried and recompiled acroread7 today.

    Well, I will try one of the FreeBSD native pdf viewers. If any of those is
    suitable enough, I won't be needing acroread7 any more.

    Thanks for the hint!

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  4. Re: acroread7 problem

    Keve Nagy wrote:
    > On the contrary.
    > I am absolutely certain that I DON'T HAVE Linuxulator.
    > I even have linux_enable="NO" in rc.conf, and when I installed FreeBSD
    > and sysinstall asked me if I want Linux compatibility I intentionally
    > answered NO.

    aha, that explains it.

    > For this reason, I didn't expect acroread7 to work in the first place.
    > And if I had had the mentioned error message the first time I started
    > the program I wouldn't have been surprised. But, for my greatest
    > surprise, it did work, and acroread nicely showed up on my desktop.

    The reason for that is that when you install acroread from ports, it
    pulls inn all dependencies.
    And those are:

    tingo@kg-work$ port ^acroread7-7
    Port: acroread7-7.0.8,1
    Info: Adobe Reader for view, print, and search PDF documents (ENU)
    Maint: hrs@FreeBSD.org
    B-deps:
    R-deps: acroreadwrapper-0.0.20060221 expat-2.0.0_1 fontconfig-2.3.2_6,1
    freetype2-2.2.1_1 libdrm-2.0.2 linux-atk-1.9.1 linux-expat-1.95.8
    linux-fontconfig-2.2.3_5 linux-glib2-2.6.6 linux-gtk2-2.6.10
    linux-jpeg-6b.34 linux-pango-1.8.1 linux-png-1.2.8_2 linux-tiff-3.7.1
    linux-xorg-libs-6.8.2_5 linux_base-fc-4_9 pkg-config-0.21
    xorg-libraries-6.9.0
    WWW: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

    Installing linux_base will load the Linuxolator automatically, even if
    you have linux_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf I think.

    > So I concluded that I don't need Linuxulator in order to use Acroread7.

    Good thinking, wrong conclusion.

    > And today, it doesn't work.
    > So my confusion is, why did it work 2 days ago and not today.
    > I even had a complete buildworld after installing without Linuxulator
    > and having linux_enable="NO" in rc.conf. And acroread7 was installed way
    > after that, and it worked.
    >
    > I am wondering what could have changed by simply rebooting the machine?

    The (manually loaded) Linuxolator isn't loaded on boot (because of your
    linux_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf).
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  5. Re: acroread7 problem

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    >> So I concluded that I don't need Linuxulator in order to use Acroread7.

    > Good thinking, wrong conclusion.

    :-)
    Message noted. Thank you!

    > The (manually loaded) Linuxolator isn't loaded on boot (because of your
    > linux_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf).

    Hmn, I was suspecting something like this. I just didn't really think
    about the whole picture. I have to admit, the behaviour is very
    streight-forward and I completely agree with it.
    I should have easily drawn the same conclusion by myself!
    Why didn't I think?! :-(

    Anyway, now that my shaded brain is equipped with a fistfull of polar
    light from Norway, I guess I can turn my Linuxulator back on.
    Well, what the hell If it is already there on my system anyway.
    I will be able to run acroread7, and I can also try SkyPE on FreeBSD.

    Thanks for the polar light, Torfinn!
    :-)

    Best regards,
    Keve