Ugly ACPI lines in dmesg - BSD

This is a discussion on Ugly ACPI lines in dmesg - BSD ; Hello Everyone, First time in my life I came across a system which only has ACPI in the BIOS and no APM. Before this I always used APM and disabled ACPI, but on this particular machine (which is the first ...

  1. Ugly ACPI lines in dmesg

    Hello Everyone,

    First time in my life I came across a system which only has ACPI in the
    BIOS and no APM. Before this I always used APM and disabled ACPI, but on
    this particular machine (which is the first P4 I ever attempted to
    install FreeBSD on) APM doesn't work (as there is no APM BIOS).

    So I am trying to use ACPI. Actually, use here means to get it load
    without errors. The only power management function I ever needed is to
    get the system to turn itself off for "shutdown -p".

    When FreeBSD boots, I see many ugly-looking ACPI lines in dmesg, such as:
    ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.USB2._PRW] (Node
    0xc4b037a0), AE_AML_NO_RETURN_VALUE

    I see this line multiple times, with the USBx digit being different and
    the Node 0x... address being different.

    On the bright side, when I run "shutdown -p now" the system really turns
    off.

    So, what are those (probably USB related) acpi lines in dmesg and why are
    they that ugly?
    Can I safely ignore them or is there something I might need to do about
    them?

    Regards,
    Keve
    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)duf(dot)hu

  2. Re: Ugly ACPI lines in dmesg

    Keve Nagy wrote:
    >So I am trying to use ACPI.

    >When FreeBSD boots, I see many ugly-looking ACPI lines in dmesg, such as:
    >ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.USB2._PRW] (Node
    >0xc4b037a0), AE_AML_NO_RETURN_VALUE

    >So, what are those (probably USB related) acpi lines in dmesg and why are
    >they that ugly?

    They are a sign that a) some of the ACPI functions inside the BIOS are
    broken, b) FreeBSD can't handle those functions, or c) both.
    They are that ugly because the crowd that specfied the ACPI Source|Machine
    Languages mistakenly though they could design. In reality the resulting mess
    looks more like something escaped from the seventies.

    You can create a fixed ACPI image and let boot/loader use that instead.
    The fine folks in freebsd-mobile and freebsd-acpi might be of help.
    See also man (8) acpidump and (8) iasl.

    scs

  3. Re: Ugly ACPI lines in dmesg

    Hi,

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:11:42 +0100, Keve Nagy
    wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > First time in my life I came across a system which only has ACPI in the
    > BIOS and no APM. Before this I always used APM and disabled ACPI, but on
    > this particular machine (which is the first P4 I ever attempted to
    > install FreeBSD on) APM doesn't work (as there is no APM BIOS).
    >
    > So I am trying to use ACPI. Actually, use here means to get it load
    > without errors. The only power management function I ever needed is to
    > get the system to turn itself off for "shutdown -p".
    >
    > When FreeBSD boots, I see many ugly-looking ACPI lines in dmesg, such as:
    > ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.USB2._PRW] (Node
    > 0xc4b037a0), AE_AML_NO_RETURN_VALUE
    >
    > I see this line multiple times, with the USBx digit being different and
    > the Node 0x... address being different.
    >
    > On the bright side, when I run "shutdown -p now" the system really turns
    > off.
    >
    > So, what are those (probably USB related) acpi lines in dmesg and why are
    > they that ugly?
    > Can I safely ignore them or is there something I might need to do about
    > them?

    This means basically you can't use a device, from ACPI point-of-view,
    called USB2 for waking up your machine.

    Cheers,

    --
    Bruno Ducrot

    -- Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
    -- Don't know. Don't care.

  4. Re: Ugly ACPI lines in dmesg

    Ducrot Bruno wrote:

    > This means basically you can't use a device, from ACPI point-of-view,
    > called USB2 for waking up your machine.

    So, as long as I have no intention to wake up (or send to sleep) my system
    using an USB gadget, I can safely ignore these messages. Right?

    Thanks, this was reassuringly good to know.
    All I usually need power-management-wise is the ability to power off the
    machine with "shutdown -p". :-)

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  5. Re: Ugly ACPI lines in dmesg

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:20:16 +0100, Keve Nagy wrote:
    > Ducrot Bruno wrote:
    >
    >> This means basically you can't use a device, from ACPI point-of-view,
    >> called USB2 for waking up your machine.

    > So, as long as I have no intention to wake up (or send to sleep) my system
    > using an USB gadget, I can safely ignore these messages. Right?

    Yes for wake up, and no for sending to sleep. From ACPI spec, a _PRW is
    "power resource for wake". This method return some information that inform
    the OS to not powerdown the device in question when we'll put all of them
    to suspend, and how to configure the system so that if an event come from
    this device the system will wake up. Also it return from what level the
    system could be woken up.
    It's not easy to fix since we can't guess how to configure the system when
    we'll power it down.

    > Thanks, this was reassuringly good to know.
    > All I usually need power-management-wise is the ability to power off the
    > machine with "shutdown -p". :-)

    Fine! The only solution is to update the BIOS, burning some candles
    in the process with the hope the OEM fixed that.

    --
    Bruno Ducrot

    -- Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
    -- Don't know. Don't care.