Trying to get WG111T wireless USB adapter to work - BSD

This is a discussion on Trying to get WG111T wireless USB adapter to work - BSD ; I'm trying to get a Netgear WG111T wireless USB adapter to work on a laptop without success - the ath interface does not show up in the output of "ifconfig -a" and if try something like "ifconfig ath0 up" I ...

  1. Trying to get WG111T wireless USB adapter to work

    I'm trying to get a Netgear WG111T wireless USB adapter to work on a laptop
    without success - the ath interface does not show up in the output of
    "ifconfig -a" and if try something like "ifconfig ath0 up" I get
    "ifconfig: interface ath0 does not exist". When the device is inserted
    into the USB slot, I see:

    ugen0: Atheros Communications Inc WG111T, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2

    so it's being recognized at some level.

    Following the handbook, I have added:
    ifconfig_ath0="DHCP" to /etc/rc.conf
    if_ath_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf
    And finally rebuilt the kernel with:

    device ath
    device ath_hal

    But the interface is still not being recognized.
    Is there something else I have to do?

    - Will

  2. Re: Trying to get WG111T wireless USB adapter to work

    Will Parsons wrote:
    > I'm trying to get a Netgear WG111T wireless USB adapter to work on a laptop
    > without success - the ath interface does not show up in the output of
    > "ifconfig -a" and if try something like "ifconfig ath0 up" I get
    > "ifconfig: interface ath0 does not exist". When the device is inserted
    > into the USB slot, I see:
    >
    > ugen0: Atheros Communications Inc WG111T, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2

    It is recognized as usb generic, which is very bad. You need a specific
    usb driver for wifi adapters, and apparently i don't see such drivers
    supporting atheros chips in the GENERIC kernel at least.

    --

    Michel TALON

  3. Re: Trying to get WG111T wireless USB adapter to work

    Will Parsons wrote:
    > I'm trying to get a Netgear WG111T wireless USB adapter to work on a laptop
    > without success - the ath interface does not show up in the output of
    > "ifconfig -a" and if try something like "ifconfig ath0 up" I get
    > "ifconfig: interface ath0 does not exist". When the device is inserted
    > into the USB slot, I see:
    >
    > ugen0: Atheros Communications Inc WG111T, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2

    When I look at the ath(4) man page, it doesn't look like usb attached
    atheros chipsets are supported, only pci and cardbus.
    :-/
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway