Printer - BSD

This is a discussion on Printer - BSD ; how do i setup a printer in free BSD?...

  1. Printer

    how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

  2. Re: Printer

    "Andrew Doades" writes:

    > how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

    The official Handbook has extensive documentation:
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO.../printing.html

    There are some ports that can help out a lot: I use both
    print/apsfilter and print/cups, depending on the environment.

  3. Re: Printer

    Andrew Doades wrote:
    > how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

    You have two options.

    1. CUPS -- a network print server, which works fine for a stand-alone
    setup, but is a little complicated.

    2. Apsfilter -- pretty simple and lightweight, provided you already have
    the drivers installed on your system somewhere, and works best in a
    stand-alone setup.

    Decide which you need. Much depends on the printer, though. Some of the
    new inexpensive HPs require special drivers I never got to work on my box.

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ----------

  4. Re: Printer

    #1. details! detail! whatkindofprinter? cups/lpd/whatever?
    inkjetlaserphotohewlettpackardepsonfredshouseofpri nters?
    usbserialparallelnetwork? whatsafaq?itriedgoogle?etc.,etc.

    #2 i've been a big fan of apsfilter for years. _if_ ghostscript
    supports your printer, install, run the SETUP, and everything
    prints. (well, not everything. forget about $MS word.)

    #3 cups seems to be popular, but i'm too stupid to figure out how
    to set it up...

    --
    donLouis
    papaindia (at) comcast (dot) net

  5. Re: Printer

    Begin
    On 2006-12-12, Ed Hurst wrote:
    > Andrew Doades wrote:
    >> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

    > You have two options.

    [snippety]

    Couple more, actually. If you have a PS printer, a printcap entry and
    lpd is all you need, really. And of course there are the multiple
    remakes of lpr that are interesting in their own special ways.

    If it the FreeBSD box is to act as a networked printer for windows
    boxes, samba gets pulled in after the printer is successfully setup.
    After that, well, variations abound.

    So, the OP had best state what was really intended, and, after reading
    the relevant bit of the handbook, what parts need more explaining.

  6. Re: Printer

    On 2006-12-12, Andrew Doades wrote:
    > how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

    Normally, I would say that your best option for help with any subject in
    FreeBSD is to read the handbook. If you are not sure how to find that, post
    a question "How Do I Find The HandBook?".

    In the case of printing, the handbook is, in my opinion, functionally
    useless. I've spent hours struggling with that and it was of no help
    whatsoever.

    To this day, I am not sure how I got printing to work. And I've done it at
    least 4 times now.

    I generally keep a good written log of each command, configuration change
    etc. that I perform before moving forward. With printing, my record is 2
    full pages of notes without printing anything other than thousands of odd
    characters. Often on thousands of pages. Printing is currently working (in
    most applications) on my system. How I got this to work is a mystery. I've
    followed all of the advice in this thread. I couldn't tell you which is
    successful.

    In short:
    Try everything people suggest. BEFORE YOU TRY CUPS, EXECUTE THE FOLLOWING AS
    ROOT:

    cd /etc
    cp printcap printcap.original

    If you don't, when cups overwrites this file it will be lost. If you had
    tried other things first, they may be lost.

    Good luck and just keep trying things until it works. << crappiest advice I
    have ever given, but the only rational way to print in FreeBSD.

    Cheers.

    JE

  7. Re: Printer

    JE wrote:
    > On 2006-12-12, Andrew Doades wrote:
    >> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

    > Normally, I would say that your best option for help with any subject in
    > FreeBSD is to read the handbook. If you are not sure how to find that, post
    > a question "How Do I Find The HandBook?".
    >
    > In the case of printing, the handbook is, in my opinion, functionally
    > useless. I've spent hours struggling with that and it was of no help
    > whatsoever.

    Specific notes about what is lacking would help. Personally, I'd make a
    point of mentioning that lpd with PostScript printers is easy, and CUPS
    with any printer generally is not, and if you have a Winprinter, give up
    now to save time.

  8. Re: Printer

    On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:57:46 -0600, Andrew Doades wrote:

    > how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

    How do i get cups to start auto on startup?

  9. Re: Printer

    Andrew Doades wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:57:46 -0600, Andrew Doades wrote:
    >
    >> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

    > How do i get cups to start auto on startup?

    For the most recent port of CUPS, read the top of the file at
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd and it will explain everything.

    In case you miss it:

    "Add the following to /etc/rc.conf[.local] to enable this service"

    cupsd_enable="YES"

    --
    Ed Hurst
    ----------

  10. Re: Printer

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:53:13 +0000, Ed Hurst wrote:

    > Andrew Doades wrote:
    >> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:57:46 -0600, Andrew Doades wrote:
    >>
    >>> how do i setup a printer in free BSD?

    >> How do i get cups to start auto on startup?

    > For the most recent port of CUPS, read the top of the file at
    > /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd and it will explain everything.
    >
    > In case you miss it:
    >
    > "Add the following to /etc/rc.conf[.local] to enable this service"
    >
    > cupsd_enable="YES"

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread