remove user from group - BSD

This is a discussion on remove user from group - BSD ; I want to remove all non-root users from 'operator'. Is this right and safe? pw groupmod operator -M ''...

  1. remove user from group

    I want to remove all non-root users from 'operator'. Is this right and
    safe?

    pw groupmod operator -M ''

  2. Re: remove user from group

    "bas" writes:

    > I want to remove all non-root users from 'operator'. Is this right and
    > safe?
    >
    > pw groupmod operator -M ''

    Safe, yes; it's even the default.

    Right? That depends on how the users utilize the system.

  3. Re: remove user from group

    Lowell Gilbert wrote:
    > "bas" writes:
    >
    > Safe, yes; it's even the default.
    >
    > Right? That depends on how the users utilize the system.

    Thanks. I meant to ask if the pw syntax is correct. I had added
    myself to the operator group so I could mount usb and fw devices. If I
    understand correctly, it is safer to create a new group and give
    members of the new group rw access with devfs.rules.

  4. Re: remove user from group

    "bas" writes:

    > Lowell Gilbert wrote:
    >> "bas" writes:
    >>
    >> Safe, yes; it's even the default.
    >>
    >> Right? That depends on how the users utilize the system.

    > Thanks. I meant to ask if the pw syntax is correct. I had added
    > myself to the operator group so I could mount usb and fw devices. If I
    > understand correctly, it is safer to create a new group and give
    > members of the new group rw access with devfs.rules.

    Oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, the syntax you listed seems
    fine. But it's easier to just edit /etc/groups directly; unlike
    passwd, it doesn't get normally get hashed into a database, so changes
    really are as easy as editing the files.

    Personally, I prefer to *not* mount removable devices, because then
    you need to remember to umount them before removal. I use mtools (in
    ports) instead.

  5. Re: remove user from group

    On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:16:45 -0500 in <44odq8x42a.fsf@be-well.ilk.org> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
    > "bas" writes:
    >
    >> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
    >>> "bas" writes:
    >>>
    >>> Safe, yes; it's even the default.
    >>>
    >>> Right? That depends on how the users utilize the system.

    >> Thanks. I meant to ask if the pw syntax is correct. I had added
    >> myself to the operator group so I could mount usb and fw devices. If I
    >> understand correctly, it is safer to create a new group and give
    >> members of the new group rw access with devfs.rules.

    > Oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, the syntax you listed seems
    > fine. But it's easier to just edit /etc/groups directly; unlike
    > passwd, it doesn't get normally get hashed into a database, so changes
    > really are as easy as editing the files.

    It may be easier, but it's also prone to mistakes if you have
    an admin with ADD and dyslexia...
    (We have one adminning AIX where I work, and I'm fairly certain
    he's the one that munged /etc/group enough that the AIX equivalents
    stopped working).

    > Personally, I prefer to *not* mount removable devices, because then
    > you need to remember to umount them before removal. I use mtools (in
    > ports) instead.

    I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to Linux's 'usbmount' appearing
    on the BSDs. But with that I have to remember to sync before unplugging a
    device formatted vfat.

    --
    Chris Dukes
    < elfick> willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up

  6. Re: remove user from group

    Lowell Gilbert wrote:

    > Oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, the syntax you listed seems
    > fine. But it's easier to just edit /etc/groups directly; unlike
    > passwd, it doesn't get normally get hashed into a database, so changes
    > really are as easy as editing the files.
    >
    > Personally, I prefer to *not* mount removable devices, because then
    > you need to remember to umount them before removal. I use mtools (in
    > ports) instead.

    Thanks. Yes you are right about remembering to umount being a problem,
    and mtools is good, but sometimes I want to use tar or rsync.

+ Reply to Thread