Win32-codecs, mplayer, kde etc. fail to upgrade - BSD

This is a discussion on Win32-codecs, mplayer, kde etc. fail to upgrade - BSD ; So I'm portupgrading my system and notice that a number of ports are failing because of a security issue with the win32-codec. I check the UPDATING file, but there is nothing there. After some searching of the mailing list archives, ...

  1. Win32-codecs, mplayer, kde etc. fail to upgrade

    So I'm portupgrading my system and notice that a number of ports are failing
    because of a security issue with the win32-codec. I check the UPDATING file,
    but there is nothing there.

    After some searching of the mailing list archives, I see that I have to:

    cd /usr/ports/multimedia/win32-codecs
    make config

    #when the little config window comes up, uncheck Quicktime

    #then

    cd /usr/ports # don't know if this is needed
    portupgrade -f win32-codecs-3.1.0.p8,1

    The actual port name of course would need to reflect one's installed
    version. After the win32-codec port has updated, one can then

    portupgrade -arR

    again.

    Anyway, my question is:

    Is there a reason this wasn't in the UPDATING file?

    Cheers

    JE

  2. Re: Win32-codecs, mplayer, kde etc. fail to upgrade

    On 2006-12-12, JE wrote:
    > So I'm portupgrading my system and notice that a number of ports are failing
    > because of a security issue with the win32-codec. I check the UPDATING file,
    > but there is nothing there.
    >
    > After some searching of the mailing list archives, I see that I have to:
    >
    > cd /usr/ports/multimedia/win32-codecs
    > make config
    >
    > #when the little config window comes up, uncheck Quicktime
    >
    > #then
    >
    > cd /usr/ports # don't know if this is needed
    > portupgrade -f win32-codecs-3.1.0.p8,1
    >
    > The actual port name of course would need to reflect one's installed
    > version. After the win32-codec port has updated, one can then
    >
    > portupgrade -arR
    >
    > again.
    >
    > Anyway, my question is:
    >
    > Is there a reason this wasn't in the UPDATING file?

    No-one submitted an entry? Feel free to do so.

    Kris

  3. Re: Win32-codecs, mplayer, kde etc. fail to upgrade

    On 2006-12-12, Kris Kennaway wrote:
    > On 2006-12-12, JE wrote:
    >> So I'm portupgrading my system and notice that a number of ports are failing
    >> because of a security issue with the win32-codec. I check the UPDATING file,
    >> but there is nothing there.
    >>
    >> After some searching of the mailing list archives, I see that I have to:
    >>
    >> cd /usr/ports/multimedia/win32-codecs
    >> make config
    >>
    >> #when the little config window comes up, uncheck Quicktime
    >>
    >> #then
    >>
    >> cd /usr/ports # don't know if this is needed
    >> portupgrade -f win32-codecs-3.1.0.p8,1
    >>
    >> The actual port name of course would need to reflect one's installed
    >> version. After the win32-codec port has updated, one can then
    >>
    >> portupgrade -arR
    >>
    >> again.
    >>
    >> Anyway, my question is:
    >>
    >> Is there a reason this wasn't in the UPDATING file?

    > No-one submitted an entry? Feel free to do so.
    >
    > Kris

    Hi Kris:

    I've spent a bit of time looking for the method to do this. Where would I
    find instructions?

    Cheers.

    JE

+ Reply to Thread