Advice for PC with FreeBSD6.2 needed - BSD

This is a discussion on Advice for PC with FreeBSD6.2 needed - BSD ; I am about to acquire a new computer and I'd like to know if anybody here sees something that could gives me headache installing FreeBSD 6.2: Shuttle Barebones SK22G2 Motherboard chipset VIA K8M890CE Integrated Graphics 256MB UMA Second Graphics card: ...

  1. Advice for PC with FreeBSD6.2 needed

    I am about to acquire a new computer and I'd like to know if anybody
    here sees something that could gives me headache installing FreeBSD 6.2:

    Shuttle Barebones SK22G2

    Motherboard chipset VIA K8M890CE

    Integrated Graphics 256MB UMA

    Second Graphics card: Club3D Radeon 9250 128MB, DDR,PCI,DVI/TV-Out

    Processor: AMD Sempron 2800+ 1.6GHz

    RAM: TwinMOS DDR2 PC4200 1024MB Dual Pack Kit (512MB Each)

    Hard disk: Samsung Spinpoint P80SD 80GB SATA28MB 7200RPM

    DVD Drive: NEC DVD+-Recorder AD-5170

    BIOS: Phoenix

    Keyboard: Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500, PS/2

    Monitor: Very open, but possibly a TFT Philips (if it goes on sale)
    thinking about using it connected to the DVI port.

    The dealer gives a 65 ($100) discount for shipping it without OS, so I
    will definitely be using anything but Windows, out of the little
    experience I have with BSD the only concerns I have is the VIA chipset
    on the motherboard(never heard of it) and the Microsoft Keyboard (I hope
    BSD don't take revenge on Microsoft's keyboards)

    The Club3D graphics says on the box it supports Linux so I hope it will
    work trouble free.

    I would much rather have an expert oppinion thought...Thanks

    --
    mapping the internet 24/7 http://www.netdimes.org

  2. Re: Advice for PC with FreeBSD6.2 needed

    > I would much rather have an expert oppinion thought...Thanks

    Well, I am not the expert you are looking for, but I believe the
    configuration you proposed is OK for FreeBSD.
    The only thing I am not so sure about is the SATA controller. Not all of
    the SATA chips are working fine under FreeBSD. The Silicon Image SILxxx
    chips are known for NOT WORKING PROPERLY.
    The rest of the system should be fine.

    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly: