linux -> freebsd (considering) - BSD

This is a discussion on linux -> freebsd (considering) - BSD ; I have been using linux for several years, considering trying out FreeBSD. Never even installed freebsd yet, so I have a few concerns. I started out on unix way back in the 70's so it would be like coming full ...

  1. linux -> freebsd (considering)

    I have been using linux for several years, considering trying out FreeBSD.
    Never even installed freebsd yet, so I have a few concerns. I started out
    on unix way back in the 70's so it would be like coming full circle in a
    sense.

    Would I be able to use nvidia's unix/linux driver for my nvidia graphics
    card to get video acceleration, openGL graphics as I now do with linux (I
    use Mandriva linux on one machine, Ubuntu on another)?

    Anybody know if Cedega from transgaming works with FreeBSD? I have used
    Cedega with linux for playing a few Windows games like World of Warcraft
    and Diablo2, wondering if Cedega works with FreeBSD?

    Is there a magazine (printed) for FreeBSD/unix? Not mandatory, but would
    be nice.

    Any other questions I should be asking but do not know what to ask?

  2. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    quoting Beowulf (Sat, 09 Dec 2006 09:47:55 -0600):

    > Would I be able to use nvidia's unix/linux driver for my nvidia
    > graphics card to get video acceleration, openGL graphics as I now do
    > with linux (I use Mandriva linux on one machine, Ubuntu on another)?

    Probably much easier then you do now with linux. Nvidia drivers work
    perfectly with FreeBSD.

    > Anybody know if Cedega from transgaming works with FreeBSD? I have
    > used Cedega with linux for playing a few Windows games like World of
    > Warcraft and Diablo2, wondering if Cedega works with FreeBSD?

    Not sure, but FreeBSD has linux compatibilty, so why not.

    > Is there a magazine (printed) for FreeBSD/unix? Not mandatory, but
    > would be nice.

    Some very good online magazines. Not printed ones though as far as I
    know. But after reading the handbook you know al there is to know and
    you can spend you mag-money on nicer things

    > Any other questions I should be asking but do not know what to ask?

    Give it a parttition and try it. You probably will want to wait for the
    upcoming new 6.2 release.

    --
    dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
    ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 +++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

  3. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > quoting Beowulf (Sat, 09 Dec 2006 09:47:55 -0600):
    >
    >> Would I be able to use nvidia's unix/linux driver for my nvidia
    >> graphics card to get video acceleration, openGL graphics as I now do
    >> with linux (I use Mandriva linux on one machine, Ubuntu on another)?

    > Probably much easier then you do now with linux. Nvidia drivers work
    > perfectly with FreeBSD.

    But the OP would be wise to note that Linux _drivers_ in general doesn't
    work in FreeBSD, even if most Linux apps do (with Linux emulation).
    For drivers, you will need drivers that are ported to FreeBSD (as the
    nVidia drivers are).
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  4. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 09:47:55 -0600, Beowulf wrote:

    > I have been using linux for several years, considering trying out FreeBSD.
    > Never even installed freebsd yet, so I have a few concerns. I started out
    > on unix way back in the 70's so it would be like coming full circle in a
    > sense.

    I have recently switched from Linux to FreeBSD.

    > Anybody know if Cedega from transgaming works with FreeBSD? I have used
    > Cedega with linux for playing a few Windows games like World of Warcraft
    > and Diablo2, wondering if Cedega works with FreeBSD?

    Cedega is derived from an early version of Wine. Far as I know, Wine works
    on FreeBSD. You can probably run Cedega as a Linux application on FreeBSD.
    You have to be aware that it could be required to install a lot of Linux
    dynamic libraries. Linux emulation is, I think, based on FC3, and there
    are FreeBSD packages that provide them (libraries) as a part of a Linux
    emulation subsystem.

    Do not try to just symlink existing FreeBSD libraries to /usr/compat/linux
    directory, they will not work. Also, the libraries from your recent Linux
    distribution probably won't work, they are dependent on proper version of
    glibc.

    > Any other questions I should be asking but do not know what to ask?

    DG

  5. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    User Anyone user wrote:
    > Cedega is derived from an early version of Wine. Far as I know, Wine works
    > on FreeBSD. You can probably run Cedega as a Linux application on FreeBSD.
    > You have to be aware that it could be required to install a lot of Linux
    > dynamic libraries. Linux emulation is, I think, based on FC3, and there
    > are FreeBSD packages that provide them (libraries) as a part of a Linux
    > emulation subsystem.

    AFAIK, Cedega does *not* work properly on FreeBSD. While the Linux
    emulation is great an all, it seems that Cedega taxes it in weird ways
    that break it.

    If you already have a subscription with Transgaming, you can go ahead
    and try to get Cedega to work on FreeBSD. It's not supported and you'll
    probably spend more time fixing bugs than anything else. Transgaming
    seems willing to accept FreeBSD patches. If you don't already have a
    subscription and only intend to use it on FreeBSD, I recommend strongly
    against it.

    I believe the situation is similar for Crossover Office too.

  6. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    In article ,
    Dick Hoogendijk wrote:

    >quoting Beowulf (Sat, 09 Dec 2006 09:47:55 -0600):
    >
    >> Would I be able to use nvidia's unix/linux driver for my nvidia
    >> graphics card to get video acceleration, openGL graphics as I now do
    >> with linux (I use Mandriva linux on one machine, Ubuntu on another)?

    >Probably much easier then you do now with linux. Nvidia drivers work
    >perfectly with FreeBSD.

    Caveat: the Nvidia driver is only for i386 arch.

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier
    "In Unix veritas"

  7. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    conrads@cox.net (Conrad J. Sabatier) a écrit :

    > Caveat: the Nvidia driver is only for i386 arch.

    Am I the only one who's waiting for it for amd64 arch ?

    Will it be released soon or not ?

    Cheers,

    --
    Fred.

  8. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    In article <87mz4vupeb.fsf@free.fr>, fred wrote:

    >conrads@cox.net (Conrad J. Sabatier) a écrit :
    >
    >> Caveat: the Nvidia driver is only for i386 arch.

    >Am I the only one who's waiting for it for amd64 arch ?

    No, you're definitely not alone.

    >Will it be released soon or not ?

    Good question. My guess would be "not". :-(

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier
    "In Unix veritas"

  9. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    conrads@cox.net (Conrad J. Sabatier) a écrit :

    > In article <87mz4vupeb.fsf@free.fr>, fred wrote:
    >>

    >>conrads@cox.net (Conrad J. Sabatier) a écrit :
    >>
    >>> Caveat: the Nvidia driver is only for i386 arch.

    >>Am I the only one who's waiting for it for amd64 arch ?

    > No, you're definitely not alone.
    >
    >>Will it be released soon or not ?

    > Good question. My guess would be "not". :-(

    Who's guilty ?
    nvidia or freebsd ?

    Fred.

  10. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    Begin <87zm8ujohn.fsf@free.fr>
    On 2007-01-08, fred wrote:
    > Who's guilty ?
    > nvidia or freebsd ?

    Guilty of what? Of not writing drivers for cards for which no specs are
    released? Of not bending over backwards to try and make linux specific
    hardware drivers work on FreeBSD? Or maybe of not providing binary
    drivers for FreeBSD in a timely fashion in the face of refusal to
    release specifications?

    Before guessing, do look at the matter. nvidia doesn't release the
    specifications. After that very little else matters; nobody else can
    write drivers. So it is up to us to bug them to get on with doing it.

  11. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    jpd a écrit :

    > Guilty of what? Of not writing drivers for cards for which no specs are
    > released? Of not bending over backwards to try and make linux specific
    > hardware drivers work on FreeBSD? Or maybe of not providing binary
    > drivers for FreeBSD in a timely fashion in the face of refusal to
    > release specifications?
    >
    > Before guessing, do look at the matter. nvidia doesn't release the
    > specifications. After that very little else matters; nobody else can
    > write drivers. So it is up to us to bug them to get on with doing it.

    1) I only said that because in an old thread in nvidia forums, that's was saying nvidia
    about freebsd.

    2) No specs are released ? but the driver for i386 arch exists...
    Who has released it ? So why not for the amd64 arch ?

    Cheers,

    --
    Fred.

  12. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    Begin <87r6u6j5r4.fsf@free.fr>
    On 2007-01-08, fred wrote:
    > 2) No specs are released ? but the driver for i386 arch exists...
    > Who has released it ? So why not for the amd64 arch ?

    Have you looked at the driver's source? What kind of driver is it,
    exactly? There are big difference between a simple unaccelerated driver,
    an accelerated 2d driver, and an accelerated 3d driver. If there is no
    source, but only a binary driver, then we're back at the start again:
    who released the binary? Ask them why there is no amd64 version.

  13. Re: linux -> freebsd (considering)

    jpd a écrit :

    > Begin <87r6u6j5r4.fsf@free.fr>
    > On 2007-01-08, fred wrote:
    >> 2) No specs are released ? but the driver for i386 arch exists...
    >> Who has released it ? So why not for the amd64 arch ?

    > Have you looked at the driver's source? What kind of driver is it,
    > exactly? There are big difference between a simple unaccelerated driver,
    > an accelerated 2d driver, and an accelerated 3d driver. If there is no
    > source, but only a binary driver, then we're back at the start again:
    > who released the binary? Ask them why there is no amd64 version.

    The latest thread again (but short ;-), on this topic here

    Cheers,

    --
    Fred.

+ Reply to Thread