What SW should I try for audio streaming? - BSD

This is a discussion on What SW should I try for audio streaming? - BSD ; Hello Newsgroup! I am planning to run some audio-streaming tests on FreeBSD for a possible project where I'd like to use BSD on a Soekris type embedded PC. The goal would be to record human speech (Mic, probably through an ...

  1. What SW should I try for audio streaming?

    Hello Newsgroup!

    I am planning to run some audio-streaming tests on FreeBSD for a possible
    project where I'd like to use BSD on a Soekris type embedded PC.

    The goal would be to record human speech (Mic, probably through an audio
    chip or an USB/BT headset) and stream it over to a more powerful machine
    (also running FreeBSD) via IP, where it could be saved in some sort of
    audio file format.

    I would like to find a "software + audio stream/file format" pair which
    for human speech can be used even on a less powerful Soekris/Epia kind
    mini hardware. As the audio is human voice only, I believe quality-wise it
    doesn't mean relevant demands at all. But I might be wrong too! :-)

    I noticed that the ports collection has a wide range of audio and
    streaming software. I was wondering if any of you have ever tried this
    kind of thing or heared/read about it. Which one of the ports should I
    start to have a look at?

    I am only in the concept phase, considering possibilities.
    Any help, idea, comment or suggestion in this topic is appreciated!

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  2. Re: What SW should I try for audio streaming?

    For the streaming side, transcode appears to be a possible choice.
    I don't know however, if it will work on a weak processor.
    And I still don't see how I am going to record the streem into a file on
    the other machine.
    Still, it is a possible start.

    This is not a final decision. You have other suggestions, let me know!

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  3. Re: What SW should I try for audio streaming?

    It appears that the transcode + vlc pair is able to solve the
    requirements. In theory, at least.
    Still not sure about required performance though.

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly: