FreeBSD 5.4 - unexpected Reboots - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD 5.4 - unexpected Reboots - BSD ; Hello I've some unexpected Reboots on the following Machines: Dell PowerEdge 2850 Dell PowerEdge 1750 On both Machines, I've unexpected reboots. In the same Rack, they're other Machines of the same type which doesn't have any Problems, but running with ...

  1. FreeBSD 5.4 - unexpected Reboots

    Hello

    I've some unexpected Reboots on the following Machines:
    Dell PowerEdge 2850
    Dell PowerEdge 1750

    On both Machines, I've unexpected reboots. In the same Rack, they're
    other Machines of the same type which doesn't have any Problems, but
    running with Cent OS and/or Windows.

    Today, on the console of the second Server, I saw an error Message:
    Address: (Unknown Address)

    The first and the Second Server has rebootet AT THE SAME TIME, not for
    the first time. Sometimes, both rebooting, sometimes only one.

    How can I activate an Foreground FSCK? I want to force it because on the
    PowerEdge 2850, the Filesystem is always corrupt after and it crashs the
    Server 10 min's after nothing runs (no "reboot"-command, only nothing)...

    Anyone an idea? USB is already disabled in the Kernel and in the BIOS.

  2. Re: FreeBSD 5.4 - unexpected Reboots

    jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On 2006-12-08, luckypunch wrote:
    >> The first and the Second Server has rebootet AT THE SAME TIME, not for
    >> the first time. Sometimes, both rebooting, sometimes only one.

    > From that, I'd say this'd be a splendid time to invest in a UPS.

    hello

    sorry, nice try, but doesn't help!

    I was in the Colo-Center, I've redundant Power-Supply's with two
    Power-Cycles and other Servers on the same Hardware with Windows and
    Cent OS doesn't have any Problems.

  3. Re: FreeBSD 5.4 - unexpected Reboots

    luckypunch wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I've some unexpected Reboots on the following Machines:
    > Dell PowerEdge 2850
    > Dell PowerEdge 1750
    >
    > On both Machines, I've unexpected reboots. In the same Rack, they're
    > other Machines of the same type which doesn't have any Problems, but
    > running with Cent OS and/or Windows.
    >
    > Today, on the console of the second Server, I saw an error Message:
    > Address: (Unknown Address)
    >
    > The first and the Second Server has rebootet AT THE SAME TIME, not for
    > the first time. Sometimes, both rebooting, sometimes only one.
    >
    > How can I activate an Foreground FSCK? I want to force it because on the
    > PowerEdge 2850, the Filesystem is always corrupt after and it crashs the
    > Server 10 min's after nothing runs (no "reboot"-command, only nothing)...
    >
    > Anyone an idea? USB is already disabled in the Kernel and in the BIOS.

    Well it's probably a good idea to do it from single user mode too. IIRC it's
    the -F switch. Man fsck for more options.

    There was some traffic recently in the lists concerning work on em and bge
    driver problems relative to these machines. I haven't seen anything on it
    in the last few days, but you might check if the work has been mfc'd to
    Stable. If so, you may consider attempting to see if your problem scenario
    matches the reported problems, and if it does consider pulling up your
    system to Stable if there is a match.

    I prefer to bounce from Release to Release, but there is sometimes fix(es)
    for specific problems in Stable before the next Release comes out. Not to
    mention the feedback the developers get if a before/after change is
    reported to fix a problem, or not, as the case may be. The trick is to be
    sure your problem scenario exactly matches what others have reported.

    -Jason

  4. Re: FreeBSD 5.4 - unexpected Reboots

    Jason Bourne wrote:
    [snip]

    > Well it's probably a good idea to do it from single user mode too. IIRC
    > it's the -F switch. Man fsck for more options.
    >
    > There was some traffic recently in the lists concerning work on em and bge
    > driver problems relative to these machines. I haven't seen anything on it
    > in the last few days, but you might check if the work has been mfc'd to
    > Stable. If so, you may consider attempting to see if your problem scenario
    > matches the reported problems, and if it does consider pulling up your
    > system to Stable if there is a match.
    >
    > I prefer to bounce from Release to Release, but there is sometimes fix(es)
    > for specific problems in Stable before the next Release comes out. Not to
    > mention the feedback the developers get if a before/after change is
    > reported to fix a problem, or not, as the case may be. The trick is to be
    > sure your problem scenario exactly matches what others have reported.
    >
    > -Jason

    And, of course, like the idiot that I am forgot all about you talking about
    5.4. I was thinking 6.1. Sorry 'bout that. Please excuse the noise.

    -Jason

  5. Re: FreeBSD 5.4 - unexpected Reboots

    Begin
    On 2006-12-08, luckypunch wrote:
    > jpd wrote:
    >> Begin
    >> On 2006-12-08, luckypunch wrote:
    >>> The first and the Second Server has rebootet AT THE SAME TIME, not for
    >>> the first time. Sometimes, both rebooting, sometimes only one.

    >> From that, I'd say this'd be a splendid time to invest in a UPS.

    [...]
    > I was in the Colo-Center, I've redundant Power-Supply's with two
    > Power-Cycles and other Servers on the same Hardware with Windows and
    > Cent OS doesn't have any Problems.

    You didn't specify, and what you now tell us is no assurance of the
    quality of the power either. Other possibilities include marginal power
    supplies, power fluctuations, iffy machinery on the same circuit, all of
    that in concert, et cetera.

    Especially your ``AT THE SAME TIME'' suggests external factors. Unless,
    of course, you're running some crashme job on both machines on the same
    time, but in that case it's still up to you to investigate and tell us
    exactly what happens on the machines just before they crash.

  6. Re: FreeBSD 5.4 - unexpected Reboots

    > You didn't specify, and what you now tell us is no assurance of the
    > quality of the power either. Other possibilities include marginal power
    > supplies, power fluctuations, iffy machinery on the same circuit, all of
    > that in concert, et cetera.
    >
    > Especially your ``AT THE SAME TIME'' suggests external factors. Unless,
    > of course, you're running some crashme job on both machines on the same
    > time, but in that case it's still up to you to investigate and tell us
    > exactly what happens on the machines just before they crash.

    Hello and thank you, for your response

    I doesn't think, that's a physical Problem either than a logical
    especial because of this:
    On the Server 2:
    Address: (Unknown Address)

    The both Server's have the same Setup, but not the same Cron-Jobs
    (they're external customers on both, but no customer is on two Servers.

  7. Re: FreeBSD 5.4 - unexpected Reboots

    Jason Bourne wrote:
    > There was some traffic recently in the lists concerning work on em and bge
    > driver problems relative to these machines. I haven't seen anything on it

    A fix to the nve driver has been committed today for 6.2.

    --

    Michel TALON

+ Reply to Thread