freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick - BSD

This is a discussion on freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick - BSD ; I'm using FreeBSD 6.1 i386. AMD64 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, ASUS A8S-X mobo, verbatim 512MB usb memory stick. It took about 5 minutes to write about 50MB of data (in one zip file). This seems really bad (it takes a few ...

  1. freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick

    I'm using FreeBSD 6.1 i386.
    AMD64 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, ASUS A8S-X mobo, verbatim 512MB usb memory stick.
    It took about 5 minutes to write about 50MB of data (in one zip file).
    This seems really bad (it takes a few seconds in winxp/debian). Could I do
    anything to speed things up?

  2. Re: freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick

    I had similar problems and asked a similar question a while ago and got
    performance varies a lot by chipset. Both are true in my experience.
    Unless you have the skills and knowledge to help the developers improve
    performance for your chipset, I don't know of a more useful answer. If
    you find one, please post!

  3. Re: freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick

    dewd writes:

    > I'm using FreeBSD 6.1 i386.
    > AMD64 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, ASUS A8S-X mobo, verbatim 512MB usb memory stick.
    > It took about 5 minutes to write about 50MB of data (in one zip file).
    > This seems really bad (it takes a few seconds in winxp/debian). Could I do
    > anything to speed things up?

    Well, to start with, make sure it's being recognized as USB 2.
    Although even with USB 1.0, that's awfully slow.
    I've never seen write performance anything like that slow on any setup...

  4. Re: freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick

    Lowell Gilbert wrote:
    > dewd writes:
    >
    > Well, to start with, make sure it's being recognized as USB 2.
    > Although even with USB 1.0, that's awfully slow.
    > I've never seen write performance anything like that slow on any setup...

    msdosfs is awfully slow on FreeBSD.

    --

    Michel TALON

  5. Re: freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick

    In article <44bqmi4cp7.fsf@be-well.ilk.org>,
    Lowell Gilbert wrote:
    >dewd writes:
    >
    >> I'm using FreeBSD 6.1 i386.
    >> AMD64 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, ASUS A8S-X mobo, verbatim 512MB usb memory stick.
    >> It took about 5 minutes to write about 50MB of data (in one zip file).
    >> This seems really bad (it takes a few seconds in winxp/debian). Could I do
    >> anything to speed things up?

    >Well, to start with, make sure it's being recognized as USB 2.
    >Although even with USB 1.0, that's awfully slow.
    >I've never seen write performance anything like that slow on any setup...

    And there are two speed specs for USB2. One is full-speed, the
    other is high-speed. Full speed is only 12Mb/sec while high
    is 400Mb/sec. That naming convention is surely counter-intuitive - and who
    knows - maybe it was set that way by vendors who couldn't make
    things run as fast as they could. :-) or :-( [pick one].

    I've purposely avoided USB in favor of fire-wire for things that
    need the speed. Printers can usually live even on USB 1 with no
    performance hits, but that's not true for most other devices.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  6. Re: freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick

    On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:29:40 +0100, dewd wrote:

    > I'm using FreeBSD 6.1 i386.
    > AMD64 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, ASUS A8S-X mobo, verbatim 512MB usb memory stick.
    > It took about 5 minutes to write about 50MB of data (in one zip file).
    > This seems really bad (it takes a few seconds in winxp/debian). Could I do
    > anything to speed things up?

    I think that might be typical for USB 1.1. Remember, the speed between 1.1
    and 2.0 differs by a factor of 40. (I discovered in this way that my USB
    hub was USB 1.1.)

    --
    Robert T. Kopp
    http://analytic.tripod.com/

  7. Re: freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick

    In article ,
    Robert Kopp wrote:
    >On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:29:40 +0100, dewd wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using FreeBSD 6.1 i386.
    >> AMD64 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, ASUS A8S-X mobo, verbatim 512MB usb memory stick.
    >> It took about 5 minutes to write about 50MB of data (in one zip file).
    >> This seems really bad (it takes a few seconds in winxp/debian). Could I do
    >> anything to speed things up?

    >I think that might be typical for USB 1.1. Remember, the speed between 1.1
    >and 2.0 differs by a factor of 40. (I discovered in this way that my USB
    >hub was USB 1.1.)

    It only differes by a factor of 40 for ONE of the USB2 specs. See
    my previous post on the speed differences. The slowest of the two
    USB 2 speeds is about the same as USB 1

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  8. Re: freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick

    dewd wrote:
    > I'm using FreeBSD 6.1 i386.
    > AMD64 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, ASUS A8S-X mobo, verbatim 512MB usb memory stick.
    > It took about 5 minutes to write about 50MB of data (in one zip file).
    > This seems really bad (it takes a few seconds in winxp/debian). Could I do
    > anything to speed things up?

    I write GB of data to various memory keys daily
    - backing up XP various machines prior to re-loading (to get rid of
    viral gunk)

    I've not yet seen an XP machine write 50Mb of data in 'seconds'
    including fast new dual core systems (NOT that the CPU/ speed will make
    much difference!)
    Let's be realistic USB 1/2 ain't the fastest thing on earth!

    No doubt there may be some difference in support (speed) for chipsets
    under FreeBSD.

    I've been using FreeBSD and Windows XP and some form of Linux with keys
    for some time on different machines.
    I don't have to wait for the O/S to ask if I want to play movies, music
    etc or just open the B. folder so I find FreeBSD is quicker...

    Bill
    AMD-64 Mepis Linux

  9. Re: freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick

    On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:29:40 -0000, dewd wrote:

    > I'm using FreeBSD 6.1 i386.
    > AMD64 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, ASUS A8S-X mobo, verbatim 512MB usb memory stick.
    > It took about 5 minutes to write about 50MB of data (in one zip file).
    > This seems really bad (it takes a few seconds in winxp/debian). Could I
    > do
    > anything to speed things up?

    Thanks for your replies so far. I have some statistics to mull over.
    A 143M file copies from my fbsd partition to the usb drive (fat32) at
    ~500KB/s (according to mc).
    The same file copies from the usb drive to fbsd at ~3.75 MB/s.
    Do you think formatting the usb stick as UFS would help speed things up?
    (I dont need to share the data).

  10. Re: freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick

    dewd wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:29:40 -0000, dewd wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using FreeBSD 6.1 i386.
    > > AMD64 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, ASUS A8S-X mobo, verbatim 512MB usb memory stick.
    > > It took about 5 minutes to write about 50MB of data (in one zip file).
    > > This seems really bad (it takes a few seconds in winxp/debian). Could I
    > > do
    > > anything to speed things up?

    > Thanks for your replies so far. I have some statistics to mull over.
    > A 143M file copies from my fbsd partition to the usb drive (fat32) at
    > ~500KB/s (according to mc).
    > The same file copies from the usb drive to fbsd at ~3.75 MB/s.
    > Do you think formatting the usb stick as UFS would help speed things up?
    > (I dont need to share the data).

    Personnally i had years ago a ZIP drive(*). When formatted as msdosfs it
    was extremely slow under FreeBSD to transfer files, ways slower than the
    nominal speed of the drive. Under Linux it had normal speed. When
    formatted as UFS it has more or less normal speed under FreeBSD, so yes,
    i suspect that formatting as UFS will solve at least part of the
    problem. Msdosfs is abysmally slow under FreeBSD, and it is particularly
    noticeable when the underlying medium is slow. I suspect that msdos
    filesystems are read and written with a small block size and in very
    synchronous mode, so that the system is flooded with interrupts. Looking
    with systat, i have seen that indeed this was the case with my ZIP
    drive. An interesting experiment you can do is trying to read and write
    with dd on your raw device (if you don't fear destroying the
    formatting), and varying the block size, from 512B to 64k. Look at the
    same time with systat (:vmstat) and observe the number of transactions
    per second, and of kilobytes per transaction, and the number of
    interrupts on the device. You will be enlighted.

    (*) an SCSI ZIP drive, plugged on an SCSI card, so this is not an
    artefact of the parallel port driver (vpo).

    --

    Michel TALON

  11. Re: freebsd *very* slow writing to usb memory stick

    dewd wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 10:29:40 -0000, dewd wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using FreeBSD 6.1 i386.
    > > AMD64 3200+, 1.5GB RAM, ASUS A8S-X mobo, verbatim 512MB usb memory stick.
    > > It took about 5 minutes to write about 50MB of data (in one zip file).
    > > This seems really bad (it takes a few seconds in winxp/debian). Could I
    > > do
    > > anything to speed things up?

    > Thanks for your replies so far. I have some statistics to mull over.
    > A 143M file copies from my fbsd partition to the usb drive (fat32) at
    > ~500KB/s (according to mc).
    > The same file copies from the usb drive to fbsd at ~3.75 MB/s.
    > Do you think formatting the usb stick as UFS would help speed things up?
    > (I dont need to share the data).

    Personnally i had years ago a ZIP drive(*). When formatted as msdosfs it
    was extremely slow under FreeBSD to transfer files, ways slower than the
    nominal speed of the drive. Under Linux it had normal speed. When
    formatted as UFS it has more or less normal speed under FreeBSD, so yes,
    i suspect that formatting as UFS will solve at least part of the
    problem. Msdosfs is abysmally slow under FreeBSD, and it is particularly
    noticeable when the underlying medium is slow. I suspect that msdos
    filesystems are read and written with a small block size and in very
    synchronous mode, so that the system is flooded with interrupts. Looking
    with systat, i have seen that indeed this was the case with my ZIP
    drive. An interesting experiment you can do is trying to read and write
    with dd on your raw device (if you don't fear destroying the
    formatting), and varying the block size, from 512B to 64k. Look at the
    same time with systat (:vmstat) and observe the number of transactions
    per second, and of kilobytes per transaction, and the number of
    interrupts on the device. You will be enlightned.

    (*) an SCSI ZIP drive, plugged on an SCSI card, so this is not an
    artefact of the parallel port driver (vpo).

    --

    Michel TALON

+ Reply to Thread