What Computer Would Be Faster For FreeBSD? - BSD

This is a discussion on What Computer Would Be Faster For FreeBSD? - BSD ; Hi! My mom said I can get a new computer. Which one of these PC's would be best on FreeBSD? Key Features & Benefits: High-performing Intel Pentium D 805 Dual-Core 2.66GHz processor 1GB of DDR memory Or # Intel Celeron ...

  1. What Computer Would Be Faster For FreeBSD?

    Hi!

    My mom said I can get a new computer. Which one of these PC's would be best
    on FreeBSD?

    Key Features & Benefits:
    High-performing Intel Pentium D 805 Dual-Core 2.66GHz processor
    1GB of DDR memory

    Or

    # Intel Celeron D Processor 352 Operates at 3.20GHz 512KB L2 Cache 533MHz
    # ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Chipset
    # ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Integrated Graphics (PCI-Express slot available)
    # 512MB DDR2 Memory (Expandable to 2GB)

    Or

    Processor & Chipset

    # Processor1 x AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz

    # Bus Speed1600MHz

    # Cache512KB L2

    All three are in the same price range, What one would you pick to run
    FreeBSD as a desktop on?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: What Computer Would Be Faster For FreeBSD?

    In article <2063874.rQOqpnFfeg@x2218>, Timmy
    wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > My mom said I can get a new computer. Which one of these PC's would be best
    > on FreeBSD?
    >
    > Key Features & Benefits:
    > High-performing Intel Pentium D 805 Dual-Core 2.66GHz processor
    > 1GB of DDR memory
    >
    > Or
    >
    > # Intel Celeron D Processor 352 Operates at 3.20GHz 512KB L2 Cache 533MHz
    > # ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Chipset
    > # ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Integrated Graphics (PCI-Express slot available)
    > # 512MB DDR2 Memory (Expandable to 2GB)
    >

    > Or
    >
    > Processor & Chipset
    >
    > # Processor1 x AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz
    >
    > # Bus Speed1600MHz
    >
    > # Cache512KB L2
    >
    > All three are in the same price range, What one would you pick to run
    > FreeBSD as a desktop on?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I strongly encourage you not to go with the "D" family, unless the
    computer is very very cheap. Pentium/Celeron D are dead.
    Both AMD and Intel proc are well supported on FreeBSD, that's not the
    point. What you must pay attention to is various chipsets on the
    motherboard (video, ethernet, sata/pata....). Not all of them are well
    supported, especially for low end chipsets.

    hth,
    patpro

    --
    http://www.patpro.net/

  3. Re: What Computer Would Be Faster For FreeBSD?

    I wouldn't buy the Pentium D either!
    I prefer to use Intel processors over AMD, but even I wouldn't pay for a
    Pentium D.

    The only Intel processors I would pay for nowadays are the "Core Duo" and
    the "Core 2 Duo" (preferrably the latter).
    But what patpro told you is more important!
    Chipset is what matters.
    You have to make sure that you buy a system which has an Ethernet, Sound
    and disk controller that really works fine under FreeBSD. Otherwise you
    pay for something that your system cannot use.

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  4. Re: What Computer Would Be Faster For FreeBSD?

    Keve Nagy wrote:
    > I wouldn't buy the Pentium D either!
    > I prefer to use Intel processors over AMD, but even I wouldn't pay for a
    > Pentium D.

    How about this one:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...me=GA-945PL-S3
    Its spec is:

    GA-945PL-S3
    Intel 945PL+ ICH7 chipset

    1. Support Intel® next generation Core™2 Duo/Pentium™ D Processor
    2. Dual Channel DDR2 533 for advanced system performance
    3. Features PCI Express x16 for outstanding graphics performance
    4. Features SATA 3Gb/s interface
    5. Optimized Gigabit LAN connection
    6. Features 8-channel Intel High Definition Audio

    * Due to 945PL express chipset specification, 945PL-S3 can only support
    up to FSB800MHz.

    This si also a D processor.

    > The only Intel processors I would pay for nowadays are the "Core Duo"
    > and the "Core 2 Duo" (preferrably the latter).
    > But what patpro told you is more important!
    > Chipset is what matters.
    > You have to make sure that you buy a system which has an Ethernet, Sound
    > and disk controller that really works fine under FreeBSD. Otherwise you
    > pay for something that your system cannot use.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Keve

  5. Re: What Computer Would Be Faster For FreeBSD?

    In article <%vHdh.22682$b6.212687@nasal.pacific.net.au>,
    Pet Farrari wrote:

    > Keve Nagy wrote:
    > > I wouldn't buy the Pentium D either!
    > > I prefer to use Intel processors over AMD, but even I wouldn't pay for a
    > > Pentium D.

    > How about this one:
    > http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...w.aspx?Product
    > ID=2325&ModelName=GA-945PL-S3

    according to the original post, I suspect he's looking for a cheap
    ($300-400), but complete box like an entry level Dell.

    patpro

    --
    http://www.patpro.net/

+ Reply to Thread