X still won't start... - BSD

This is a discussion on X still won't start... - BSD ; I'm still having no luck starting X at present. Typing "Xorg -config xorg.conf.new" still gets me an on-screen warning from my CMV 1515 monitor as follows: Out of range H: +63.9 kHz V: +60.0 Hz Range H: 28 - 65kHz ...

  1. X still won't start...

    I'm still having no luck starting X at present. Typing "Xorg
    -config xorg.conf.new" still gets me an on-screen warning from my CMV
    1515 monitor as follows:

    Out of range

    H: +63.9 kHz
    V: +60.0 Hz

    Range

    H: 28 - 65kHz
    V: 56 - 78 Hz

    even after trying new values in xorg.conf.new as suggested in
    reply to my first post:

    >Sure, in Section "Monitor". Just enter the values the monitor provides:

    >HorizSync 28.0 - 65.0
    >VertRefresh 56.0 - 78.0

    >For VertRefresh, you might only want to enter a single value for what
    >the monitor likes best, like

    >VertRefresh 75.0 - 75.0

    >to force X to pick 75 Hz. Actually, if both of the other things you've tried
    >set it to 60 Hz, you might want that.

    Guessing the H-synch is the issue???

  2. Re: X still won't start...

    Guy Parry wrote:
    > I'm still having no luck starting X at present. Typing "Xorg
    > -config xorg.conf.new" still gets me an on-screen warning from my CMV
    > 1515 monitor as follows:
    >
    > Out of range
    >
    > H: +63.9 kHz
    > V: +60.0 Hz
    >
    > Range
    >
    > H: 28 - 65kHz
    > V: 56 - 78 Hz

    That's an interesting error message. The values are within the
    acceptable range, but it says out of range! Maybe it really was out of
    range, so the monitor switches to a usable value to display its
    on-screen message?

    If you have a video card with two outputs, try the other one. (That
    happened to me...)

    You could also try a fixed resolution setting in xorg.conf. This is
    taken from the Handbook section on X configuration:

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

  3. Re: X still won't start...

    Guy Parry wrote:

    > I'm still having no luck starting X at present. Typing "Xorg
    > -config xorg.conf.new" still gets me an on-screen warning from my CMV
    > 1515 monitor as follows:
    >
    > Out of range
    >
    > H: +63.9 kHz
    > V: +60.0 Hz
    >
    > Range
    >
    > H: 28 - 65kHz
    > V: 56 - 78 Hz
    >
    > even after trying new values in xorg.conf.new as suggested in
    > reply to my first post:
    >

    >>Sure, in Section "Monitor". Just enter the values the monitor provides:

    > >HorizSync 28.0 - 65.0
    > >VertRefresh 56.0 - 78.0

    >>For VertRefresh, you might only want to enter a single value for what
    >>the monitor likes best, like

    > >VertRefresh 75.0 - 75.0

    >>to force X to pick 75 Hz. Actually, if both of the other things you've
    >>tried set it to 60 Hz, you might want that.

    > Guessing the H-synch is the issue???

    Have you tried simply commenting out the above lines? Often, the server can
    automatically determine the monitor's specs at startup.

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier
    "In Unix veritas"

  4. Re: X still won't start...

    Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
    > Guy Parry wrote:
    >
    >> I'm still having no luck starting X at present. Typing "Xorg
    >> -config xorg.conf.new" still gets me an on-screen warning from my CMV
    >> 1515 monitor as follows:
    >>
    >> Out of range
    >>
    >> H: +63.9 kHz
    >> V: +60.0 Hz
    >>
    >> Range
    >>
    >> H: 28 - 65kHz
    >> V: 56 - 78 Hz
    >>
    >> even after trying new values in xorg.conf.new as suggested in
    >> reply to my first post:
    >>

    >>> Sure, in Section "Monitor". Just enter the values the monitor provides:
    >> >HorizSync 28.0 - 65.0
    >> >VertRefresh 56.0 - 78.0

    >>> For VertRefresh, you might only want to enter a single value for what
    >>> the monitor likes best, like
    >> >VertRefresh 75.0 - 75.0

    >>> to force X to pick 75 Hz. Actually, if both of the other things you've
    >>> tried set it to 60 Hz, you might want that.

    >> Guessing the H-synch is the issue???

    > Have you tried simply commenting out the above lines? Often, the server can
    > automatically determine the monitor's specs at startup.

    Starting X without a config in /etc... or ~/ will usually result in X
    appearing in the highest resolution it can - OK if your monitor supports it!
    Try: copy xorg.conf.new to putting xorg.conf in /etc/X11 folder and
    specify something like 60Hz and 1024x768 to get it going.

    Most monitors including older ones support 60Hz.
    70-85HZ refresh could be a problem on some older models...

    (I normally use FreeBSD6 but playing penguin tonight.)

    Bill
    AMD-64 Mepis Linux

  5. Re: X still won't start...

    Yes, that did the trick. I inserted 'DefaultDepth 24' underneath
    the 'Monitor' line and changed what was originally 'Depth 1' to
    'Depth 24', and presto
    Thanx!

    >You could also try a fixed resolution setting in xorg.conf. This is
    >taken from the Handbook section on X configuration:
    >
    >Section "Screen"
    > Identifier "Screen0"
    > Device "Card0"
    > Monitor "Monitor0"