    are you seeing robustness in really big drives (>320GB)?

  2. Re: Need input on big PATA drives

    Begin <1165254026.039488.81520@79g2000cws.googlegroups.co m>
    On 2006-12-04, reedl@tatteredcover.com wrote:
    > I need to build some big dumb storage in a machine with only PATA
    > interfaces.

    If the box has enough free PCI slots, adding a SATA card or two ought to
    be doable.

  3. Re: Need input on big PATA drives

    On 4 Dec 2006 09:40:26 -0800, reedl@tatteredcover.com wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >I need to build some big dumb storage in a machine with only PATA
    >interfaces. In Googling around there appears to be an increase in drive
    >failures for disks bigger than 320GB. Has anyone experienced this, or
    >are you seeing robustness in really big drives (>320GB)?

    Hard to say as I havent been using them that long to know the long
    term reliability. If its big dumb storage and speed is not too much
    of an issue, I would say get multiple drives and put them in RAID5.
    Then you can mitigate the risk somewhat. You can get some older modle
    3ware controllers for not all that much.

    ---Mike
    Mike Tancsa, Sentex communications http://www.sentex.net
    Providing Internet Access since 1994
    mike@sentex.net, (http://www.tancsa.com)