Petition for a Nvidia OpenGL driver for NetBSD - BSD

This is a discussion on Petition for a Nvidia OpenGL driver for NetBSD - BSD ; Hello BSD users We started a petition for a Nvidia driver for NetBSD. http://www.nvidia-petition.tk Please support it. Thanks...

  1. Petition for a Nvidia OpenGL driver for NetBSD

    Hello BSD users

    We started a petition for a Nvidia driver for NetBSD.

    http://www.nvidia-petition.tk

    Please support it. Thanks

  2. Re: Petition for a Nvidia OpenGL driver for NetBSD

    On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:08:53 -0800, Karim wrote:

    > Hello BSD users
    >
    > We started a petition for a Nvidia driver for NetBSD.
    >
    > http://www.nvidia-petition.tk
    >
    > Please support it. Thanks

    Support it all you want, but nvidia just dont give a damn about *bsd.
    Sure they a have a fbsd blob, but only for i386. Despite the spin and hype
    on nvidias forums, its unlikely an amd64 driver will happen.
    They've just got their heads stuck so far up that penguins arse, it makes
    me sick.

  3. Re: Petition for a Nvidia OpenGL driver for NetBSD

    dewd wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:08:53 -0800, Karim wrote:
    >
    >> Hello BSD users
    >>
    >> We started a petition for a Nvidia driver for NetBSD.
    >>
    >> http://www.nvidia-petition.tk
    >>
    >> Please support it. Thanks

    > Support it all you want, but nvidia just dont give a damn about *bsd.
    > Sure they a have a fbsd blob, but only for i386. Despite the spin and hype
    > on nvidias forums, its unlikely an amd64 driver will happen.
    > They've just got their heads stuck so far up that penguins arse, it makes
    > me sick.

    This sort of hyper-negativity (not to mention insulting NVidia as a whole)
    is destined to accomplish absolutely nothing. Rather than lamenting the
    fact that no driver exists as yet for the amd64 platform, a far more
    productive approach would be to visit the petition site and *politely* make
    your wishes known.

    As long as we *BSD users continue to choose to remain the "silent majority",
    no third-party manufacturers are going to deem us as seriously worth the
    effort to port their device drivers to our platforms.

    Let your voice be heard!

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier
    "In Unix veritas"

  4. Re: Petition for a Nvidia OpenGL driver for NetBSD

    Conrad J. Sabatier schrieb:
    > dewd wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:08:53 -0800, Karim wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello BSD users
    >>>
    >>> We started a petition for a Nvidia driver for NetBSD.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nvidia-petition.tk
    >>>
    >>> Please support it. Thanks

    >> Support it all you want, but nvidia just dont give a damn about *bsd.
    >> Sure they a have a fbsd blob, but only for i386. Despite the spin and hype
    >> on nvidias forums, its unlikely an amd64 driver will happen.
    >> They've just got their heads stuck so far up that penguins arse, it makes
    >> me sick.

    > This sort of hyper-negativity (not to mention insulting NVidia as a whole)
    > is destined to accomplish absolutely nothing. Rather than lamenting the
    > fact that no driver exists as yet for the amd64 platform, a far more
    > productive approach would be to visit the petition site and *politely* make
    > your wishes known.
    >
    > As long as we *BSD users continue to choose to remain the "silent majority",
    > no third-party manufacturers are going to deem us as seriously worth the
    > effort to port their device drivers to our platforms.
    >
    > Let your voice be heard!

    Have a look here:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

  5. Re: Petition for a Nvidia OpenGL driver for NetBSD

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 17:06:05 -0000, Alex wrote:

    > Conrad J. Sabatier schrieb:
    >> dewd wrote:

    >>> Support it all you want, but nvidia just dont give a damn about *bsd.
    >>> Sure they a have a fbsd blob, but only for i386. Despite the spin and
    >>> hype
    >>> on nvidias forums, its unlikely an amd64 driver will happen.
    >>> They've just got their heads stuck so far up that penguins arse, it
    >>> makes
    >>> me sick.

    >> This sort of hyper-negativity (not to mention insulting NVidia as a
    >> whole)
    >> is destined to accomplish absolutely nothing. Rather than lamenting the
    >> fact that no driver exists as yet for the amd64 platform, a far more
    >> productive approach would be to visit the petition site and *politely*
    >> make
    >> your wishes known.
    >>
    >> As long as we *BSD users continue to choose to remain the "silent
    >> majority",
    >> no third-party manufacturers are going to deem us as seriously worth the
    >> effort to port their device drivers to our platforms.
    >>
    >> Let your voice be heard!
    >>

    > Have a look here:
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

    Better yet, look here
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-4180.html
    Thats 4 whole years without a AMD64 bsd driver.
    It was also 18 months between the first linux driver and the first fbsd
    one.
    Not exactly equal is it.

  6. Re: Petition for a Nvidia OpenGL driver for NetBSD

    On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 04:14:43 -0000, Conrad J. Sabatier
    wrote:

    > dewd wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:08:53 -0800, Karim wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello BSD users
    >>>
    >>> We started a petition for a Nvidia driver for NetBSD.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nvidia-petition.tk
    >>>
    >>> Please support it. Thanks

    >> Support it all you want, but nvidia just dont give a damn about *bsd.
    >> Sure they a have a fbsd blob, but only for i386. Despite the spin and
    >> hype
    >> on nvidias forums, its unlikely an amd64 driver will happen.
    >> They've just got their heads stuck so far up that penguins arse, it
    >> makes
    >> me sick.

    > This sort of hyper-negativity (not to mention insulting NVidia as a
    > whole)
    > is destined to accomplish absolutely nothing.

    It accomplishes much. Its called 'letting off steam'.
    And whats wrong with insulting companies? Ever seen 'windoze',
    'micro$oft', etc?

    > Rather than lamenting the
    > fact that no driver exists as yet for the amd64 platform, a far more
    > productive approach would be to visit the petition site and *politely*
    > make
    > your wishes known.

    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...7b494b&t=41545
    2 years of pleading for one.

    > As long as we *BSD users continue to choose to remain the "silent
    > majority",
    > no third-party manufacturers are going to deem us as seriously worth the
    > effort to port their device drivers to our platforms.

    'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few'

    > Let your voice be heard!

    The voices have been falling on deaf ears for many years.
    We dont want another blob, we want code!

  7. Re: Petition for a Nvidia OpenGL driver for NetBSD

    dewd writes:

    > The voices have been falling on deaf ears for many years.
    > We dont want another blob, we want code!

    We probably only want sufficient specs to write the code ourselves. We
    do not need other people working for us, but resent paying money for
    hardware without a specified interface.

    The problem is with the manufacturer here. I think you cannot sell a
    microwave without at least some instructions how to use it. But they
    are trying to sell us accelerated graphics hardware with no
    instructions how to use it. This attitude simply is bad engineering
    and sucks.

    Regards -- Markus

  8. Re: Petition for a Nvidia OpenGL driver for NetBSD

    > Have a look here:
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

    The Latest Nvidia Version: 1.0-9746 wouldn't install on
    6.2. The problem appears to be incompatibilities
    (flag day?) between Xfree and Xorg.

    I installed 6.2 on an Asus p5b-e and GE 7950gt the other
    day.

    Freebsd could not see any devices on the Jmicron controller.
    That includes the primary CDROM. X wouldn't run, complaining
    about missing modules with the "nv" driver.

    A basic X windows functionality is needed given the proliferation of
    GUI applications including system management.

    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

+ Reply to Thread