NIC not working after install - BSD

This is a discussion on NIC not working after install - BSD ; Hope someone out there can help, I'm pretty new with FreeBSD. I did a minimal install FreeBSD but the NIC won't work for the life of. everything seems okay but when i run ifconfig and my nic appears with no ...

  1. NIC not working after install

    Hope someone out there can help,

    I'm pretty new with FreeBSD. I did a minimal install FreeBSD but the
    NIC won't work for the life of.
    everything seems okay but when i run ifconfig and my nic appears with
    no IP address and a bogus MAC address (a5:a5:a5....). my dlink is using
    the ed0 interface.

    im at a loss and cant seem to find anything specific to my problem.
    obviously the dhclient command doesn't discover anything....

    Thanx in advance for any help,

    Dreeze

  2. Re: NIC not working after install

    On 3 Dec 2006 21:04:46 -0800
    dreeze.breeze@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hope someone out there can help,
    >
    > I'm pretty new with FreeBSD. I did a minimal install FreeBSD but the
    > NIC won't work for the life of.
    > everything seems okay but when i run ifconfig and my nic appears with
    > no IP address and a bogus MAC address (a5:a5:a5....). my dlink is using
    > the ed0 interface.

    Did you set up the nic in the /etc/rc.conf? There should exist a line like
    ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"

    > im at a loss and cant seem to find anything specific to my problem.
    > obviously the dhclient command doesn't discover anything....

    > Thanx in advance for any help,
    >
    > Dreeze

    Best regards,

    Stefan

  3. Re: NIC not working after install

    Begin <20061204070825.03d93f2c.Stefan.Ollermann@gmx.de>
    On 2006-12-04, Stefan Ollermann wrote:
    > dreeze.breeze@gmail.com wrote:
    >> everything seems okay but when i run ifconfig and my nic appears with
    >> no IP address and a bogus MAC address (a5:a5:a5....). my dlink is using
    >> the ed0 interface.

    > Did you set up the nic in the /etc/rc.conf? There should exist a line like
    > ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"

    Such a line is not required for having the interface show up in
    ifconfig. It is useful to have the interface be configured at system
    startup, but doesn't help you if the card shows up bogus in ifconfig.

  4. Re: NIC not working after install

    [Accidentally replied-to instead of followed-up before morning tea]
    Begin <1165208686.633070.39680@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.co m>
    On 2006-12-04, dreeze.breeze@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm pretty new with FreeBSD. I did a minimal install FreeBSD but the
    > NIC won't work for the life of.
    > everything seems okay but when i run ifconfig and my nic appears with
    > no IP address and a bogus MAC address (a5:a5:a5....). my dlink is using
    > the ed0 interface.

    Since (peeks at ed(4)) that driver can support ISA cards, I'd suspect
    that is an ISA card and misconfiguration of the hardware parameters.

    Broken hardware is of course also a possibility, but I'd look into
    selecting usable parameters on the card for I/O, IRQ, and so on, first,
    and of course telling the driver about them.

  5. Re: NIC not working after install

    Thanks for the response guys,

    - as for the config, i did add the config line in rc.conf using the
    sysintall "wizard"
    - the card is a PCI card, not ISA
    - I'm suspecting either the install detected the wrong driver or as jpd
    you said that might be a IRQ issue. the MAC Address like i said is
    wrong, so that would be the root of the problem. im not quite sure
    where i can configure the IRQ. If i can find doc on that would be
    great. google hasnt returned much on that yet
    - and the NIC worked fine before, i had windows on the machine before i
    installed freeBSD and it worked fine...

    I'm still trying to find a solution... let me know if you need more
    info...

    To tell you the truth im not sure which card i have, i know its a DLink
    but dont know which model, is there a way to query or rerun the detect
    program on it?

    On Dec 4, 1:56 am, jpd wrote:
    > [Accidentally replied-to instead of followed-up before morning tea]
    > Begin <1165208686.633070.39...@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.co m>
    > On 2006-12-04, dreeze.bre...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I'm pretty new with FreeBSD. I did a minimal install FreeBSD but the
    > > NIC won't work for the life of.
    > > everything seems okay but when i run ifconfig and my nic appears with
    > > no IP address and a bogus MAC address (a5:a5:a5....). my dlink is using
    > > the ed0 interface.Since (peeks at ed(4)) that driver can support ISA cards, I'd suspect

    > that is an ISA card and misconfiguration of the hardware parameters.
    >
    > Broken hardware is of course also a possibility, but I'd look into
    > selecting usable parameters on the card for I/O, IRQ, and so on, first,
    > and of course telling the driver about them.
    >
    > --
    > j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    > This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    > Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    > consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  6. Re: NIC not working after install

    On Dec 4, 1:56 am, jpd wrote:
    > [Accidentally replied-to instead of followed-up before morning tea]
    > Begin <1165208686.633070.39...@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.co m>
    > On 2006-12-04, dreeze.bre...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I'm pretty new with FreeBSD. I did a minimal install FreeBSD but the
    > > NIC won't work for the life of.
    > > everything seems okay but when i run ifconfig and my nic appears with
    > > no IP address and a bogus MAC address (a5:a5:a5....). my dlink is using
    > > the ed0 interface.Since (peeks at ed(4)) that driver can support ISA cards, I'd suspect

    > that is an ISA card and misconfiguration of the hardware parameters.
    >
    > Broken hardware is of course also a possibility, but I'd look into
    > selecting usable parameters on the card for I/O, IRQ, and so on, first,
    > and of course telling the driver about them.
    >
    > --
    > j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    > This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    > Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    > consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  7. Re: NIC not working after install

    dreeze.breeze@gmail.com wrote:

    > - as for the config, i did add the config line in rc.conf using the
    > sysintall "wizard"

    Details, please. Post your /etc/rc.conf. Did you reboot the machine
    or at least run /etc/rc.d/netif afterwards?

    > - the card is a PCI card, not ISA
    > - I'm suspecting either the install detected the wrong driver or as jpd
    > you said that might be a IRQ issue. the MAC Address like i said is
    > wrong, so that would be the root of the problem.

    Interrupts and manual configuration should not be a problem with PCI
    cards, and some bad cards have duplicate MAC addresses, or even no
    firmware MAC. In a recent thread, a PCI Ethernet card didn't work
    because it wasn't fully inserted in the slot.

    What happens if you run 'dhclient ed0'?

  8. Re: NIC not working after install

    dreeze.breeze@gmail.com wrote:
    [snip]
    > - the card is a PCI card, not ISA
    > - I'm suspecting either the install detected the wrong driver or as jpd
    > you said that might be a IRQ issue. the MAC Address like i said is
    > wrong, so that would be the root of the problem. im not quite sure
    > where i can configure the IRQ. If i can find doc on that would be
    > great. google hasnt returned much on that yet
    > - and the NIC worked fine before, i had windows on the machine before i
    > installed freeBSD and it worked fine...
    >
    > I'm still trying to find a solution... let me know if you need more
    > info...
    >
    > To tell you the truth im not sure which card i have, i know its a DLink
    > but dont know which model, is there a way to query or rerun the detect
    > program on it?

    [snip]

    Try running the command: pciconf -lv and see if it lists the card anywhere.
    Depending on particular mobo/BIOS sometimes an IRQ conflict is as simple as
    just moving the card to a different PCI slot. Or reconfiguring a slot's IRQ
    in BIOS. Possibly if the machine is using ACPI and the PCI bus rev version
    is way old turning off acpi at boot may be a clue, but generally speaking a
    PCI card ought to get setup automatically at POST and you should be able to
    see it with pciconf -lv.

    When I saw the "ISA" and the driver you listed I had a dim recollection of
    3Com Etherlink II cards, which I haven't seen in a very long time. Those
    cards had to be setup with a DOS utility, saving the programmed config back
    to the EEPROM at the end. Things like I/O port address, which transceiver
    to use ( if it was a multi), and buffer memory + ROM address. I used to see
    the invalid MACs if the ROM address was overlapped with something else.

    In any event, we're going to need to know *exactly* what card it is you're
    playing with. You might very well be trying to use the wrong driver.

    -Jason

  9. Re: NIC not working after install

    > What happens if you run 'dhclient ed0'?

    yeah i rebooted
    it would go into DHCP DISCOVER over and over but wont find anything....
    I specify the gateway (which is a simple router with an embedded DHCP
    server)

  10. Re: NIC not working after install

    dreeze.breeze@gmail.com wrote:

    >> What happens if you run 'dhclient ed0'?
    >>

    > yeah i rebooted
    > it would go into DHCP DISCOVER over and over but wont find anything....

    Hmm.

    > I specify the gateway (which is a simple router with an embedded DHCP
    > server)

    Wait... what do you mean "specify a gateway"? DHCP should handle that
    on its own, and that might be causing the problem.

    Again, you need to show your /etc/rc.conf. And dmesg wouldn't hurt.

  11. Re: NIC not working after install

    I cant copy and past the output so i wrote it by hand and type it
    afterwards :-)

    rc.conf contains (amongst other things)
    hostname="soudwave" # transformers
    ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"

    dmesg contains (amongst other things)
    ed0: port 0xe000-0xe01f IRQ 11 at device 11.0 on pci0
    ed0: ethernet address a5:a5:a5:a5:a5:a5
    ed0: type rtl8029 (16bit)

    it doesnt complain at all during the install, it just cant see anything
    on the network, and the MAC Address is dead wrong ... the dlink card
    seems right, cuz i seem to remember it does use that chipset, so it
    seems to be recognizing it ok...

    Warren Block wrote:
    > dreeze.breeze@gmail.com wrote:
    > >

    > >> What happens if you run 'dhclient ed0'?
    > >>

    > > yeah i rebooted
    > > it would go into DHCP DISCOVER over and over but wont find anything....

    > Hmm.
    >
    > > I specify the gateway (which is a simple router with an embedded DHCP
    > > server)

    > Wait... what do you mean "specify a gateway"? DHCP should handle that
    > on its own, and that might be causing the problem.
    >
    > Again, you need to show your /etc/rc.conf. And dmesg wouldn't hurt.
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

  12. Re: NIC not working after install

    dreeze.breeze@gmail.com wrote:
    > I cant copy and past the output so i wrote it by hand and type it
    > afterwards :-)

    Okay, but please stop top-posting because it makes replying difficult.

    > rc.conf contains (amongst other things)
    > hostname="soudwave" # transformers
    > ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"

    The other things might be important. And you still don't say what you
    meant by "specify a gateway".

    > dmesg contains (amongst other things)
    > ed0: port 0xe000-0xe01f IRQ 11 at device 11.0 on pci0
    > ed0: ethernet address a5:a5:a5:a5:a5:a5
    > ed0: type rtl8029 (16bit)
    >
    > it doesnt complain at all during the install, it just cant see anything
    > on the network, and the MAC Address is dead wrong ... the dlink card
    > seems right, cuz i seem to remember it does use that chipset, so it
    > seems to be recognizing it ok...

    Other questions: you said it worked under Windows. Does that mean that
    you're just putting FreeBSD on this machine without changing any
    hardware or cables? Or that this card formerly worked on Windows in a
    different network or computer?

  13. Re: NIC not working after install

    > Okay, but please stop top-posting because it makes replying difficult.

    okie dokie, sorry

    > > rc.conf contains (amongst other things)
    > > hostname="soudwave" # transformers
    > > ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"

    it also had
    keymap="us.iso"
    moused_enable=yes
    moused_port=/dev/cuad0
    moused_type=auto
    sshd_enabled=yes

    > The other things might be important. And you still don't say what you
    > meant by "specify a gateway".

    i ran the network wizard from sysinstall and i entered 192.168.0.1 as
    gateway (my router), but then i took all that out from rc.conf, cuz i
    wanted it to run on dhcp not statically IPed. not that it made a
    difference

    > Other questions: you said it worked under Windows. Does that mean that
    > you're just putting FreeBSD on this machine without changing any
    > hardware or cables? Or that this card formerly worked on Windows in a
    > different network or computer?

    This same computer had windows before, i did however change the hard
    drives on it, but the NIC hasnt moved.

    Jason,
    i also followed your suggestion, i ran pciconf, and i see the realtek
    card appear. It seems fine, except no IP and no MAC address. I changed
    PCI slots, and fiddled with IRQ in the BIOS. i couldnt however find any
    ACPI config in the BIOS.... im thinking maybe i should try a different
    NIC for kicks, would i have to reinstall FreeBSD so that the driver
    gets built into the kernel?

    Am gonna try to disable the mouse in case its an IRQ conflict....

  14. Re: NIC not working after install

    EUREKA!

    i simply switched the NICs with my windows box and it works! thanks
    alot guys for the help, your were all very helpful...

    its weird tho, cuz the NIC i took out i put it in the windows box and
    it works fine.... so i dont know why that happened... thanks again
    guys...

  15. Re: NIC not working after install

    In article <1165275586.535951.85560@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >I cant copy and past the output so i wrote it by hand and type it
    >afterwards :-)

    see man script - as it will capture all screen output to a
    file, and then you can edit it and just include it with your post.
    No need to copy/paste.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  16. Re: NIC not working after install

    > see man script - as it will capture all screen output to a
    > file, and then you can edit it and just include it with your post.
    > No need to copy/paste.

    i know, but the box had no internet connection, so if output it to a
    file it would still be stuck in the computer...

  17. Re: NIC not working after install

    On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 07:08:25 +0100
    Stefan Ollermann wrote:

    > > everything seems okay but when i run ifconfig and my nic appears with
    > > no IP address and a bogus MAC address (a5:a5:a5....). my dlink is using
    > > the ed0 interface.

    > Did you set up the nic in the /etc/rc.conf? There should exist a line like
    > ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"

    The /etc/rc.conf shows
    ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"
    if "DHCP" was selected at the install as I did through the ADSL router.

    --
    Taku @ Virus Free Email