xvidcap/gvidcap on 6.1R -- no joy in Muddville! - BSD

This is a discussion on xvidcap/gvidcap on 6.1R -- no joy in Muddville! - BSD ; I've tried the ports, and packages, but seem to have no joy. I'm getting the FFMPEG not supported message, even though I've added ffmpeg from ports, packages and even svn'ed the most recent and built from scratch. There is a ...

  1. xvidcap/gvidcap on 6.1R -- no joy in Muddville!

    I've tried the ports, and packages, but seem to have no joy. I'm getting
    the FFMPEG not supported message, even though I've added ffmpeg from
    ports, packages and even svn'ed the most recent and built from scratch.

    There is a version of gvidcap in gnome, but it does not allow anything but
    X-win capture, and when run from the command line, I get the ffmpeg
    message, and it dies.

    I've copied the latest xvidcap from sourceforge, and followed the faq
    instructions for configuring with the --with-forced-embedded-ffmpeg (and
    without), and can't seem to get the right magic going.

    Can anyone tell me the incantation (likely just the ./configure related
    options) which will get xvidcap installed, and working with ffmpeg
    properly, so I can record screen vids? Oh, and ultimately, as I want to
    record sound, I'll probably have to go through this all over again with
    respect to the audio codecs once I get the vidcap running. 8-{

    Thanks for any pointers ...

    Rob.

  2. Re: xvidcap/gvidcap on 6.1R -- no joy in Muddville!

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:13:15 -0500, spam@controlq.com wrote:

    > I've tried the ports, and packages, but seem to have no joy. I'm getting
    > the FFMPEG not supported message, even though I've added ffmpeg from
    > ports, packages and even svn'ed the most recent and built from scratch.

    I'm not sure to understand; have you installed the port sysutils/xvidcap
    (or the corresponding package)? Which version?

    ATM xvidcap cannot use the external ffmpeg or ffmpeg-devel, it's why
    the port is built with -with-forced-embedded-ffmpeg, until ffmpeg-devel
    will be updated to a newer snapshot.
    --
    Th. Thomas.

  3. Re: xvidcap/gvidcap on 6.1R -- no joy in Muddville!

    On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, Thierry Thomas wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:13:15 -0500, spam@controlq.com wrote:
    >
    >> I've tried the ports, and packages, but seem to have no joy. I'm getting
    >> the FFMPEG not supported message, even though I've added ffmpeg from
    >> ports, packages and even svn'ed the most recent and built from scratch.

    > I'm not sure to understand; have you installed the port sysutils/xvidcap
    > (or the corresponding package)? Which version?

    Thierry,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I've tried to install xvidcap from ports, and that failed. I've installed
    from packages, and gnome even picks it up as an application -- but, alas
    no support for FFMPEG is available, and that version while it works, only
    allows X frames to be captured (*.xwd).

    > ATM xvidcap cannot use the external ffmpeg or ffmpeg-devel, it's why
    > the port is built with -with-forced-embedded-ffmpeg, until ffmpeg-devel
    > will be updated to a newer snapshot.

    I've tried building the latest version of xvidcap (1.1.4p1) from
    source(forge), with the --with-forced-embedded-ffmpeg and --with-gtk
    options set on the configure, but the xvidcap produced still complains
    about the ffmpeg support (/usr/local/bin/xvidcap).

    I've tried compiling the ffmpeg from the project SVN tree as well, to get
    the latest and greatest, but that failed to compile.

    At this point, I think I've tried just about everything I can think of to
    get a version of x/gvidcap with ffmpeg support, and have had no luck. 8-/
    Any pointers would be deeply appreciated.

    Rob.

  4. Re: xvidcap/gvidcap on 6.1R -- no joy in Muddville!

    On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 10:38:12 -0500, spam@controlq.com wrote:

    > I've tried to install xvidcap from ports, and that failed. I've installed
    > from packages, and gnome even picks it up as an application -- but, alas
    > no support for FFMPEG is available, and that version while it works, only
    > allows X frames to be captured (*.xwd).

    I guess that your ports tree is not up-to-date: 1.1.4.p1 has been
    committed on Nov. 18.

    This version lets you record mpeg files, which are identified by mplayer
    as:

    [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
    [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)

    Good luck!
    --
    Th. Thomas.