emacs confusion... - BSD

This is a discussion on emacs confusion... - BSD ; I'm a BSD newbie, so please bear with me. I thought I had installed emacs recently during a new install of 6.1, but typing 'emacs xorg.conf.new' got me a COMMAND NOT FOUND msg. I *do* have a pkg called 'emacs' ...

  1. emacs confusion...

    I'm a BSD newbie, so please bear with me.
    I thought I had installed emacs recently during a new install of
    6.1, but typing 'emacs xorg.conf.new' got me a COMMAND NOT FOUND msg.
    I *do* have a pkg called 'emacs' on my HDD. I looked on the
    FreeBSD site, and found a port called emacs.app. Thinking I needed
    *that* one I checked my DVD /packages dir to install it, but it wasn't
    there. So I don't understand what pkg I need to get the binary and
    get it working...
    Sure, I can use ee, but I've always been an emacs fan.

  2. Re: emacs confusion...

    Guy Parry schreef:
    > I'm a BSD newbie, so please bear with me.
    > I thought I had installed emacs recently during a new install of
    > 6.1, but typing 'emacs xorg.conf.new' got me a COMMAND NOT FOUND msg.
    > I *do* have a pkg called 'emacs' on my HDD. I looked on the
    > FreeBSD site, and found a port called emacs.app. Thinking I needed
    > *that* one I checked my DVD /packages dir to install it, but it wasn't
    > there. So I don't understand what pkg I need to get the binary and
    > get it working...
    > Sure, I can use ee, but I've always been an emacs fan.

    pkg_add -r emacs

    --
    Essetee ---- Roeselare ---- Belgium
    http://www.essetee.be

  3. Re: emacs confusion...

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:54:06 GMT
    Serge Terryn wrote:

    > pkg_add -r emacs

    Prior to doing pkg_add -r, the following comment may be added to /root/.cshrc.

    setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...elease/Latest/

    --
    Taku @ Virus Free Email
    powered by AMD K6-2-500 on ASUS P5A

  4. Re: emacs confusion...

    On 2006-11-30, Guy Parry wrote:
    > I'm a BSD newbie, so please bear with me.
    > I thought I had installed emacs recently during a new install of
    > 6.1, but typing 'emacs xorg.conf.new' got me a COMMAND NOT FOUND msg.
    > I *do* have a pkg called 'emacs' on my HDD. I looked on the
    > FreeBSD site, and found a port called emacs.app. Thinking I needed
    > *that* one I checked my DVD /packages dir to install it, but it wasn't
    > there. So I don't understand what pkg I need to get the binary and
    > get it working...
    > Sure, I can use ee, but I've always been an emacs fan.

    emacs.app is something else. It looks like you haven't really added
    emacs, so do

    pkg_add -r emacs to download it from the net and install it
    automatically.

    Kris

+ Reply to Thread