GIANT-LOCKED during boot - BSD

This is a discussion on GIANT-LOCKED during boot - BSD ; I have been doing a bit of research on what the following might mean and how I'd go about finding out if it is bad, good or neutral. During the probing (for want of a better word) part of the ...

  1. GIANT-LOCKED during boot

    I have been doing a bit of research on what the following might mean and how
    I'd go about finding out if it is bad, good or neutral.

    During the probing (for want of a better word) part of the boot, I see a few
    messages, such as:

    psm0: irg 12 on atkbdc0
    psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

    Most of what I have found via google et. al. is . . . unclear.

    Cheers.

    JE

  2. Re: GIANT-LOCKED during boot

    On 2006-11-30, JE wrote:
    > I have been doing a bit of research on what the following might mean and how
    > I'd go about finding out if it is bad, good or neutral.
    >
    > During the probing (for want of a better word) part of the boot, I see a few
    > messages, such as:
    >
    > psm0: irg 12 on atkbdc0
    > psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    >
    > Most of what I have found via google et. al. is . . . unclear.

    It means that if you have two mice on your SMP machine and you try to
    move them both at the same time, one will respond sluggishly ;-)

    More generally, it means "the driver has similar SMP locking
    characteristics to that found in all old versions of FreeBSD and has
    not yet been updated for better SMP support". As in the example
    above, some drivers do not make so much sense to parallelize.

    Kris

  3. Re: GIANT-LOCKED during boot

    On 2006-11-30, Kris Kennaway wrote:
    > On 2006-11-30, JE wrote:
    >> I have been doing a bit of research on what the following might mean and how
    >> I'd go about finding out if it is bad, good or neutral.
    >>
    >> During the probing (for want of a better word) part of the boot, I see a few
    >> messages, such as:
    >>
    >> psm0: irg 12 on atkbdc0
    >> psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
    >>
    >> Most of what I have found via google et. al. is . . . unclear.

    > It means that if you have two mice on your SMP machine and you try to
    > move them both at the same time, one will respond sluggishly ;-)
    >
    > More generally, it means "the driver has similar SMP locking
    > characteristics to that found in all old versions of FreeBSD and has
    > not yet been updated for better SMP support". As in the example
    > above, some drivers do not make so much sense to parallelize.
    >
    > Kris

    Excellent. Thanks for that Kris. I would guess that the simple answer from
    my point of view is "not a biggy" (I think that's the technical description!).

    Cheers

    JE

+ Reply to Thread