Linux is not unix - BSD

This is a discussion on Linux is not unix - BSD ; if it were it there would be comp.unix.linux so why keep pretending...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

  1. Linux is not unix

    if it were it there would be
    comp.unix.linux
    so why keep pretending

  2. Re: Linux is not unix

    anon wrote:

    > if it were it there would be
    > comp.unix.linux
    > so why keep pretending

    Why do you keep on pretending to have a point that interests anyone?
    --
    Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. The answer is NO

  3. Re: Linux is not unix

    "anon" wrote in message
    > if it were it there would be
    > comp.unix.linux
    > so why keep pretending

    idiot

  4. Re: Linux is not unix

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:12:43 +0000, anon wrote:

    > if it were it there would be
    > comp.unix.linux
    > so why keep pretending

    Who's pretending Linux is Unix? I don't think anyone here in COLA is.

  5. Re: Linux is not unix

    anon wrote:

    Yes, linux stands for linux is not unix. Very good. Want a cookie?

    --
    "This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is
    not God who kills the children. Not Fate that butchers them or Destiny

  6. Re: Linux is not unix

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Rob Hughes belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > anon wrote:
    >

    > Yes, linux stands for linux is not unix. Very good. Want a cookie?

    I'd never noticed that recursiveness before! That was gnus to me!

    --
    IEF630I BAD MACNAM
    12.32.57 SYS2 R=IEF450I COLA LINONUT TROLL-ABEND S0C7 UBR549 -

  7. Re: Linux is not unix

    "anon" writes:

    >if it were it there would be
    >comp.unix.linux
    >so why keep pretending

    My you are captured by names aren;t you. And I assume if your name is
    Smith you shoe horses, and if your name is Brown, well,...

  8. Re: Linux is not unix

    anon wrote:
    > if it were it there would be
    > comp.unix.linux
    > so why keep pretending

    It's not? OH MY GOD!! When did that happen?

  9. Re: Linux is not unix

    jason wrote:
    > anon wrote:
    >> if it were it there would be
    >> comp.unix.linux
    >> so why keep pretending
    >>

    > It's not? OH MY GOD!! When did that happen?

    This is another thing that should be brought to our attention EARLIER!!!!

    --

    Us
    http://www.sweet-sorrow.com

  10. Re: Linux is not unix

    In article ,
    Rob Hughes wrote:
    >anon wrote:
    >

    >Yes, linux stands for linux is not unix. Very good. Want a cookie?
    >
    >--
    >"This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is
    >not God who kills the children. Not Fate that butchers them or Destiny
    >that feeds them to dogs. It's us. Only us." - Rorschach, Watchmen

    It should be known as Linsucks the M$ of unixes.
    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca

  11. Re: Linux is not unix

    Please do not feed the troll.

    --
    * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    -- Bertrand Russell

  12. Re: Linux is not unix

    anon wrote:
    > if it were it there would be
    > comp.unix.linux
    > so why keep pretending

    This group is called alt.os.linux

    --
    .~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
    /( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.10) Linux 2.6.18.3

  13. Re: Linux is not unix

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:24:39 +0800, Man-wai Chang wrote:

    > anon wrote:
    >> if it were it there would be
    >> comp.unix.linux
    >> so why keep pretending
    >>

    > This group is called alt.os.linux

    I thought it was comp.os.linux.advocacy?
    Although in reading the messages it's more like "alt.hate.microsoft".

  14. Re: Linux is not unix

    The Doctor wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Rob Hughes wrote:
    >> anon wrote:
    >>

    >> Yes, linux stands for linux is not unix. Very good. Want a cookie?
    >>
    >> --
    >> "This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is
    >> not God who kills the children. Not Fate that butchers them or Destiny
    >> that feeds them to dogs. It's us. Only us." - Rorschach, Watchmen

    > It should be known as Linsucks the M$ of unixes.

    no doc you have it all wrong, that is micro$uck$, linux rules

  15. Re: Linux is not unix

    flatfish+++ wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:24:39 +0800, Man-wai Chang wrote:
    >
    >> anon wrote:
    >>> if it were it there would be
    >>> comp.unix.linux
    >>> so why keep pretending
    >>>

    >> This group is called alt.os.linux

    > I thought it was comp.os.linux.advocacy?
    > Although in reading the messages it's more like "alt.hate.microsoft".

    there is no alt.hate.microsoft but there is alt.microsoft.sucks !!! LOL

  16. Re: Linux is not unix

    anon wrote:
    > if it were it there would be
    > comp.unix.linux
    > so why keep pretending

    of corce linux is not unix, it is "unix like" got it

  17. Re: Linux is not unix

    Liam Slider wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:12:43 +0000, anon wrote:
    >
    > > if it were it there would be
    > > comp.unix.linux
    > > so why keep pretending

    > Who's pretending Linux is Unix?

    Well, prolific and learned Chief Judge Frank Easterbrook:

    http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/fdocs/do...6-2454_008.pdf

    -------
    One prominent example of free, open-source software
    is the Linux operating system, a derivative of the Unix
    operating system written by AT&T in the 1960s and now
    available without cost. (Unix® is a trademark of The Open
    Group, but the source code to many variants of AT&T’s
    work is freely available.) Linux is one of many modern
    derivatives of Unix—which is not itself under the GPL.
    Thus Apple Computer, which uses the Berkeley Software
    Distribution variant of Unix as the foundation for the Mac
    OS X operating system, is entitled to charge for its software.
    Linux, initially the work of Linus Torvalds, is maintained
    by a large open-source community. International
    Business Machines offers Linux with many of its servers, or
    customers can install it themselves. IBM has contributed
    code to the Linux project and furnishes this derivative work
    to anyone else with an interest. Red Hat, Inc., sells media
    (such as DVDs), manuals, and support for the installation
    and maintenance of Linux. The GPL covers only the
    software; people are free to charge for the physical media on
    which it comes and for assistance in making it work. Paper
    manuals, and the time of knowledgeable people who service
    and support an installation, thus are the most expensive
    part of using Linux.
    -------

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    http://www.linuxtaliban.com/bilder.htm

  18. Re: Linux is not unix

    >>>http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/fdocs/do...6-2454_008.pdf

    EASTERBROOK, Circuit Judge. Does the provision of
    copyrighted software under the GNU General Public
    License ("GPL") violate the federal antitrust laws? Authors
    who distribute their works under this license, devised by
    the Free Software Foundation, Inc., authorize not only
    copying but also the creation of derivative works-and the
    license prohibits charging for the derivative work. People
    may make and distribute derivative works if and only if
    they come under the same license terms as the original
    work

    what's wrong with these lawyer-judges-etc-guys?
    can't they just read the GNU GPL first? or can they read?
    am I missing something??

    from GNU GPL:

    When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our
    General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom
    to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you
    wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you
    can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs; and that
    you know you can do these things.

  19. Re: Linux is not unix

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:09:46 +0000 (UTC),
    doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:
    >In article ,
    >Rob Hughes wrote:
    >>anon wrote:
    >>

    >>Yes, linux stands for linux is not unix. Very good. Want a cookie?

    > It should be known as Linsucks the M$ of unixes.

    That was totally uncalled for and it doesn't make the BSD
    operating systems look better. It only makes us, their users,
    look like immature, name-calling children.

    I'm sure we can find more productive ways to let the world know
    that BSD is better for such and such work, Linux works better in
    such and such cases, etc.

  20. Re: Linux is not unix

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, anon

    wrote
    on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:12:43 -0000
    :
    > if it were it there would be
    > comp.unix.linux
    > so why keep pretending

    Hamsters love discussing duct tape. Otherwise why would there be a group
    called alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.bestiality.hamster.d uct-tape.d?

    (Spot the Flaw.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast