What's the key-differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD - BSD

This is a discussion on What's the key-differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD - BSD ; Well, till now I have only use FreeBSD. I like it for its system organization and layout is regular and that relax me and make me feel well. I have browse the other two BSD-like OS but have never install ...

  1. What's the key-differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD

    Well, till now I have only use FreeBSD. I like it for its system
    organization and layout is regular and that relax me and make me feel
    well. I have browse the other two BSD-like OS but have never install
    them on my machine. Any guys tell me the feeling about the key-features
    of them and what's the biggest difference between FreeBSD and them?

  2. Re: What's the key-differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD

    bailaohe@gmail.com schreef:
    > Well, till now I have only use FreeBSD. I like it for its system
    > organization and layout is regular and that relax me and make me feel
    > well. I have browse the other two BSD-like OS but have never install
    > them on my machine. Any guys tell me the feeling about the key-features
    > of them and what's the biggest difference between FreeBSD and them?

    The key differences in general:

    NetBSD : best hardware support
    FreeBSD : best applications support
    OpenBSD : best security

    kind regards
    Emile Zwang

  3. Re: What's the key-differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD

    Begin <456da75e$0$335$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>
    On 2006-11-29, DF wrote:
    >> Any guys tell me the feeling about the key-features
    >> of them and what's the biggest difference between FreeBSD and them?

    The respective projects' sites do a fine job of presenting themselves
    and they do also explain what they focus on.

    > The key differences in general:
    >
    > NetBSD : best hardware support

    You'll have to qualify that: NetBSD has the widest platform support.
    FreeBSD tends to have better hardware support on the i386 platform.

  4. Re: What's the key-differences between FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD

    wrote in message
    news:1164796038.205592.36840@j72g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Well, till now I have only use FreeBSD. I like it for its system
    > organization and layout is regular and that relax me and make me feel
    > well. I have browse the other two BSD-like OS but have never install
    > them on my machine. Any guys tell me the feeling about the
    > key-features
    > of them and what's the biggest difference between FreeBSD and them?

    NetBSD *may* be all but dead
    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-...8/30/0016.html
    I think it runs on virtually any hardware.
    OpenBSD is supposed to have the best security. But lets face it, its
    possible to make windows more secure than OpenBSD if you know what
    you're doing.
    FreeBSD is, maybe, somewhere in the middle of the other two.
    They are all quite similar in many respects (such as running GNU
    software).
    The main differences are in the kernels and ports/package philosophy.
    (eg, openbsd wont allow nvidias binary drivers).
    As they are all free, why not try them all.
    This may help too
    http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/arch...hp/t-1002.html

    and
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=net...ient=firefox-a