Re: Installing FreeBSD 6.1 on Dell PowerEdge 2950 - BSD

This is a discussion on Re: Installing FreeBSD 6.1 on Dell PowerEdge 2950 - BSD ; luckypunch schrieb: >>>>>>>>> I've got some troubles while installing FreeBSD 6.1 on the new >>>>>>>>> Dell >>>>>>>>> PowerEdge 2950 with PERC 5/i RAID Controller and three 300GB >>>>>>>>> harddisks. >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> If I run the setup everything works fine, but ...

  1. Re: Installing FreeBSD 6.1 on Dell PowerEdge 2950

    luckypunch schrieb:

    >> Hello. Now, next Error occurs after the Install is done. It seem's,
    >> that nothing except the Filesystem is written to the Disk. No Folders
    >> or whatelse I can find and when he's booting, the Error "Unable to
    >> load a kernel!" occurs.
    >> "Can't load 'kernel'". Any hints?

    > Uuuhhh, have now decreased the Size of the RAID-Array from 600GB (3x
    > 300GB, RAID-5) to 512GB and the Error with Geometry is away. Will now
    > try to install the System with this. But: is there a way to use the
    > 600GB full?
    >
    > Sorry for the high amount of Posts but I try to document this Issue as
    > good as possible.

    Okey, the case gets worse and worse. I finished the installation of
    FreeBSD 6.1. But after a reboot the system couln't find the Kernel.

    If I install FreeBSD 6.2 everything works fine. But the software wich
    should run on this server doesn't support FreeBSD 6.2

  2. Re: Installing FreeBSD 6.1 on Dell PowerEdge 2950

    luckypunch wrote:

    > Okey, the case gets worse and worse. I finished the installation of
    > FreeBSD 6.1. But after a reboot the system couln't find the Kernel.
    >
    > If I install FreeBSD 6.2 everything works fine. But the software wich
    > should run on this server doesn't support FreeBSD 6.2

    Since FreeBSD-6.2 is compatible with FreeBSD-6.1 you should have no
    problem running a software certified for 6.1 on 6.2. At least you should
    try, instead of banging you head on hardware compatibility problems
    between your machine and 6.1. Or if you don't want to, buy a machine
    which is compatible with 6.1.

    --

    Michel TALON

  3. Re: Installing FreeBSD 6.1 on Dell PowerEdge 2950

    Michel Talon wrote:
    > luckypunch wrote:
    >> Okey, the case gets worse and worse. I finished the installation of
    >> FreeBSD 6.1. But after a reboot the system couln't find the Kernel.
    >>
    >> If I install FreeBSD 6.2 everything works fine. But the software wich
    >> should run on this server doesn't support FreeBSD 6.2

    > Since FreeBSD-6.2 is compatible with FreeBSD-6.1 you should have no
    > problem running a software certified for 6.1 on 6.2. At least you should
    > try, instead of banging you head on hardware compatibility problems
    > between your machine and 6.1. Or if you don't want to, buy a machine
    > which is compatible with 6.1.

    Hi

    Umpf. Yes, thank you for your hint. ;-)

    No, one more Question: can I load the Sysinstall with the FreeBSD 6.2,
    and perform the Installation with the 6.1? Could this help? Cause, 6.2
    is only RC-1 and I want to have this for a productive box.

    I want have the Sources (except kernel) from 6.1.

  4. Re: Installing FreeBSD 6.1 on Dell PowerEdge 2950

    >> Since FreeBSD-6.2 is compatible with FreeBSD-6.1 you should have no
    >> problem running a software certified for 6.1 on 6.2. At least you should
    >> try, instead of banging you head on hardware compatibility problems
    >> between your machine and 6.1. Or if you don't want to, buy a machine
    >> which is compatible with 6.1.

    > Hi
    >
    > Umpf. Yes, thank you for your hint. ;-)
    >
    > No, one more Question: can I load the Sysinstall with the FreeBSD 6.2,
    > and perform the Installation with the 6.1? Could this help? Cause, 6.2
    > is only RC-1 and I want to have this for a productive box.
    >
    > I want have the Sources (except kernel) from 6.1.

    It seems, that nothing helps. We now trying Fedora Core 5

  5. Re: Installing FreeBSD 6.1 on Dell PowerEdge 2950

    luckypunch wrote:
    >>> Since FreeBSD-6.2 is compatible with FreeBSD-6.1 you should have no
    >>> problem running a software certified for 6.1 on 6.2. At least you should
    >>> try, instead of banging you head on hardware compatibility problems
    >>> between your machine and 6.1. Or if you don't want to, buy a machine
    >>> which is compatible with 6.1.

    Hello

    We now using CentOS 4.4.
    Not for bashing, just for info for other Group-Readers with the same
    Problem.

+ Reply to Thread