How to find rogue scripts that can be hijakced for spamming - BSD

This is a discussion on How to find rogue scripts that can be hijakced for spamming - BSD ; Literally find. I need to find all scripts that have #!/usr/bin/perl in them and examine if they can be hijacked by spammers. How can I do that? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and ...

  1. How to find rogue scripts that can be hijakced for spamming

    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    Lest we forget 11/11/2009.

  2. Re: How to find rogue scripts that can be hijakced for spamming

    In article ,
    The Doctor wrote:
    >Literally find.
    >
    >I need to find all scripts that have #!/usr/bin/perl
    >
    >in them and examine if they can be hijacked by spammers.
    >
    >How can I do that?

    That's somewhat of a stupid question.

    Why would those scripts be more likely to be hijacked by spammers
    than any other thing on your system ?

    Apart from that, constructive use of find, xargs, file and grep ought to
    give you your answer. Something a bit like
    find / -type f -print |xargs file|fgrep -i perl

  3. Re: How to find rogue scripts that can be hijakced for spamming

    In article ,
    The Doctor wrote:
    >Literally find.
    >
    >I need to find all scripts that have #!/usr/bin/perl
    >
    >in them and examine if they can be hijacked by spammers.
    >
    >How can I do that?

    That's somewhat of a stupid question.

    Why would those scripts be more likely to be hijacked by spammers
    than any other thing on your system ?

    Apart from that, constructive use of find, xargs, file and grep ought to
    give you your answer. Something a bit like
    find / -type f -print |xargs file|fgrep -i perl

  4. Re: How to find rogue scripts that can be hijakced for spamming

    The Doctor wrote:
    > Literally find.
    >
    > I need to find all scripts that have #!/usr/bin/perl
    >
    > in them and examine if they can be hijacked by spammers.
    >
    > How can I do that?

    grep -R

  5. Re: How to find rogue scripts that can be hijakced for spamming

    The Doctor wrote:
    > Literally find.
    >
    > I need to find all scripts that have #!/usr/bin/perl
    >
    > in them and examine if they can be hijacked by spammers.
    >
    > How can I do that?

    grep -R

  6. Re: How to find rogue scripts that can be hijakced for spamming

    In article ,
    BobH wrote:
    >The Doctor wrote:
    >> Literally find.
    >>
    >> I need to find all scripts that have #!/usr/bin/perl
    >>
    >> in them and examine if they can be hijacked by spammers.
    >>
    >> How can I do that?

    >grep -R

    You mean find / -type f -print | grep -R
    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    Lest we forget 11/11/2009.

  7. Re: How to find rogue scripts that can be hijakced for spamming

    In article ,
    BobH wrote:
    >The Doctor wrote:
    >> Literally find.
    >>
    >> I need to find all scripts that have #!/usr/bin/perl
    >>
    >> in them and examine if they can be hijacked by spammers.
    >>
    >> How can I do that?

    >grep -R

    You mean find / -type f -print | grep -R
    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    Lest we forget 11/11/2009.

  8. Re: How to find rogue scripts that can be hijakced for spamming

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 23:05:43 +0000, The Doctor wrote:

    > In article , BobH
    > wrote:
    >>The Doctor wrote:
    >>> Literally find.
    >>>
    >>> I need to find all scripts that have #!/usr/bin/perl
    >>>
    >>> in them and examine if they can be hijacked by spammers.
    >>>
    >>> How can I do that?

    >>grep -R

    > You mean find / -type f -print | grep -R

    Well, that (or a variation) will find all of the perl scripts (except for
    the ones with a newline in their name: use -print0 and xargs -0 as a
    general rule when doing large finds). That'll be a close first-order
    approximation to hackability if you subscribe to the theory that says
    that all programs contain bugs. What are you really looking for,
    though? Spammers send e-mail, which doesn't usually result in the
    invocation of perl scripts. I guess that it could sometimes, if someone
    has cooked up a perl-based mail filter for themselves or is running a
    perl-based webmail system. I'd start by looking for bugs in those sorts
    of things, myself. With my eyes. I don't think that I could write a
    program to find bugs, at least not the sort that might allow a spammer to
    exploit.

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew

  9. Re: How to find rogue scripts that can be hijakced for spamming

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 23:05:43 +0000, The Doctor wrote:

    > In article , BobH
    > wrote:
    >>The Doctor wrote:
    >>> Literally find.
    >>>
    >>> I need to find all scripts that have #!/usr/bin/perl
    >>>
    >>> in them and examine if they can be hijacked by spammers.
    >>>
    >>> How can I do that?

    >>grep -R

    > You mean find / -type f -print | grep -R

    Well, that (or a variation) will find all of the perl scripts (except for
    the ones with a newline in their name: use -print0 and xargs -0 as a
    general rule when doing large finds). That'll be a close first-order
    approximation to hackability if you subscribe to the theory that says
    that all programs contain bugs. What are you really looking for,
    though? Spammers send e-mail, which doesn't usually result in the
    invocation of perl scripts. I guess that it could sometimes, if someone
    has cooked up a perl-based mail filter for themselves or is running a
    perl-based webmail system. I'd start by looking for bugs in those sorts
    of things, myself. With my eyes. I don't think that I could write a
    program to find bugs, at least not the sort that might allow a spammer to
    exploit.

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew