spamd question - BSD

This is a discussion on spamd question - BSD ; Hello, I am using spamd on OpenBSD 4.1 in greylisting mode and was wondering if this behaviour of spamd is correct: The very first time I send a mail through, spamd marks this IP address in the spamdb as GREY. ...

  1. spamd question

    Hello,

    I am using spamd on OpenBSD 4.1 in greylisting mode and was wondering if
    this behaviour of spamd is correct:

    The very first time I send a mail through, spamd marks this IP address
    in the spamdb as GREY. Then after passed and when the mail
    server retryies to send the mail it !still! doesn't get through. So
    actually the mail server needs to send a the mail a third time to get
    the IP marked as WHITE and the mail to get finally through...

    I would have found better if spamd would have already marked the IP
    address of the mail server as WHITE after the second try, as long as it
    has waiten the . Is it possible to change spamd's
    configuration to do exactly that ?

    Currently I run spamd with the following options: -G 5:4:864

    Thanks
    Regards

  2. Re: spamd question

    syn_nospam_uw writes:

    > The very first time I send a mail through, spamd marks this IP address in
    > the spamdb as GREY. Then after passed and when the mail server
    > retryies to send the mail it !still! doesn't get through. So actually the
    > mail server needs to send a the mail a third time to get the IP marked
    > as WHITE and the mail to get finally through...

    Yep.

    > I would have found better if spamd would have already marked the IP address
    > of the mail server as WHITE after the second try, as long as it has waiten
    > the . Is it possible to change spamd's configuration to do exactly
    > that ?

    How can it do that? spamd doesn't relay or deliver mail. When it
    sees a retry after the passtime it marks the address as white so the
    next time sendmail will get the mail. To do what you want spamd would
    either have to do everything that sendmail does or, at a minimum, queue
    the message and then pass it to sendmail. But what if sendmail then
    rejects the message?

    // marc

  3. Re: spamd question

    Marco S Hyman wrote:

    > How can it do that? spamd doesn't relay or deliver mail. When it
    > sees a retry after the passtime it marks the address as white so the
    > next time sendmail will get the mail. To do what you want spamd would
    > either have to do everything that sendmail does or, at a minimum, queue
    > the message and then pass it to sendmail. But what if sendmail then
    > rejects the message?

    Thanks for your reply, now it's clear. I was just thinking this would
    really be nice so then would avoid an extra "mail server retry timeout".
    but as you say spamd isn't a sendmail

+ Reply to Thread