Mouse battery monitoring for FreeBSD? - BSD

This is a discussion on Mouse battery monitoring for FreeBSD? - BSD ; Hello, Today most mice and keyboards I use with my FreeBSD machines are wireless. This also means that therer is a set of batteries in the keyboards and mice, and those needs replacing when they run out. Are there any ...

  1. Mouse battery monitoring for FreeBSD?

    Hello,

    Today most mice and keyboards I use with my FreeBSD machines are
    wireless. This also means that therer is a set of batteries in the
    keyboards and mice, and those needs replacing when they run out.

    Are there any programs available that will monitor mouse and keyboard
    batery leves under FreeBSD?
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  2. Re: Mouse battery monitoring for FreeBSD?

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Today most mice and keyboards I use with my FreeBSD machines are
    > wireless. This also means that therer is a set of batteries in the
    > keyboards and mice, and those needs replacing when they run out.
    >
    > Are there any programs available that will monitor mouse and keyboard
    > batery leves under FreeBSD?

    I'd rather think that the right question to ask should be:

    Is there any keyborad and mouse hardware capable of monitoring the battery
    level.

    If you eventually find such a hardware, then, you can write the appz to
    monitor the battery level.

    Ciao @+

  3. Re: Mouse battery monitoring for FreeBSD?

    F8BOE wrote:
    > I'd rather think that the right question to ask should be:

    Well, perhaps you should think again.

    > Is there any keyborad and mouse hardware capable of monitoring the battery
    > level.

    I'll turn the question around: are there any wireless keyboards and mice
    (with batteries) that can't montr battery levels?
    Wireless keyboards from Logitech, Microsoft and other does this under
    Windows today, and have done so for many years.

    > If you eventually find such a hardware, then, you can write the appz to
    > monitor the battery level.

    Hardware found and in possession.

    My original question is still waiting for an answer.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  4. Re: Mouse battery monitoring for FreeBSD?

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > F8BOE wrote:
    >> I'd rather think that the right question to ask should be:

    > Well, perhaps you should think again.
    >
    >> Is there any keyborad and mouse hardware capable of monitoring the battery
    >> level.

    > I'll turn the question around: are there any wireless keyboards and mice
    > (with batteries) that can't montr battery levels?
    > Wireless keyboards from Logitech, Microsoft and other does this under
    > Windows today, and have done so for many years.
    >
    >> If you eventually find such a hardware, then, you can write the appz to
    >> monitor the battery level.

    > Hardware found and in possession.
    >
    > My original question is still waiting for an answer.

    How does Microsoft Windows get at the power levels? If you find that out, you
    can do the same in FreeBSD. As far as I can tell, neither the psm nor the ums
    driver read anything other than deltas and buttons from the hardware.

    I have no idea how you would get the required information from Microsoft
    systems.

    - Philip

    --
    Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

    * Paul|working (pjm2@floyd.18hp.net) has joined #javahelp
    Thank goodness, Paul|working is back!
    damn right

  5. Re: Mouse battery monitoring for FreeBSD?

    Philip Paeps wrote:
    > How does Microsoft Windows get at the power levels? If you find that out, you

    Yes, that is the question. So far I haven't found anything by searching.

    > I have no idea how you would get the required information from Microsoft
    > systems.

    Me neither. :-/
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  6. Re: Mouse battery monitoring for FreeBSD?

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Philip Paeps wrote:
    > > How does Microsoft Windows get at the power levels? If you find that out, you

    > Yes, that is the question. So far I haven't found anything by searching.

    I would imagine they're sent together with the deltas and buttons in a way
    that is compatible with drivers which don't understand them. If you increase
    the debugging level of psm (I don't know ums enough - but I guess it has a
    similar option) you can get at the raw data received from the device.

    If you see anything that looks like a power level...

    - Philip

    --
    Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

    "Idiot I may be, but tied up I ain't."
    -- Gaspode the wonder dog
    (Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures)

  7. Re: Mouse battery monitoring for FreeBSD?

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Yes, that is the question. So far I haven't found anything by searching.

    This (lmctl) might be a start:
    http://www.bedroomlan.org/~alexios/coding_lmctl.html
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,