Upon reboot, all I get is the blinking minus sign. . . - BSD

This is a discussion on Upon reboot, all I get is the blinking minus sign. . . - BSD ; Hi All, The machine in question is an old HP Netserver LH, dual PIII with SCSI RAID. I've configured the RAID as level 0 via hardware, then level 1 with gvinum. This is an in-place, up and running production machine ...

  1. Upon reboot, all I get is the blinking minus sign. . .

    Hi All,

    The machine in question is an old HP Netserver LH, dual PIII with SCSI
    RAID. I've configured the RAID as level 0 via hardware, then level 1
    with gvinum.

    This is an in-place, up and running production machine running FreeBSD
    6.3. It's been chugging along for a couple of years running FreeBSD
    with no problems. I had to shut it down today because of a failure with
    the single IDE drive.

    Upon reboot, the machine gets though BIOS and POST, and just about when
    I should be seeing the twirly minus sign, I get the "-" static blinking
    minus sign, and nothing else happens.

    I have pulled and reseated just about every board and cable, and still
    no luck. The hardware RAID reports in OK, the machine just won't get
    past the "-".

    I really don't thing it's a software thing per se, but could there be
    something weird with FreeBSDE on bootup going on?

    --

    ....-.-
    To reply directly, remove clothes.

  2. Re: Upon reboot, all I get is the blinking minus sign. . .

    J'm Sm'th wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > The machine in question is an old HP Netserver LH, dual PIII with SCSI
    > RAID. I've configured the RAID as level 0 via hardware, then level 1
    > with gvinum.
    >
    > This is an in-place, up and running production machine running FreeBSD
    > 6.3. It's been chugging along for a couple of years running FreeBSD
    > with no problems. I had to shut it down today because of a failure with
    > the single IDE drive.

    What IDE drive? Earlier you said SCSI drives, configured as a raid.

    > Upon reboot, the machine gets though BIOS and POST, and just about when
    > I should be seeing the twirly minus sign, I get the "-" static blinking
    > minus sign, and nothing else happens.
    >
    > I have pulled and reseated just about every board and cable, and still
    > no luck. The hardware RAID reports in OK, the machine just won't get
    > past the "-".
    >
    > I really don't thing it's a software thing per se, but could there be
    > something weird with FreeBSDE on bootup going on?

    Are you booting from the raid (on SCSI) or from the IDE drive?
    Did you replace the IDE drive, or did you just remove it?
    Could that have changed boot order, priority, or something like that?
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: Upon reboot, all I get is the blinking minus sign. . .

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:26:52 +0200
    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

    > What IDE drive? Earlier you said SCSI drives, configured as a raid.

    Yes, we're booting from a SCSI RAID. The IDE drive is hung on there as
    an extra drive for dumping info from other machines. Since this is one
    of the few machines with a tape drive, we dump stuff to that IDE drive,
    then dump that to tape. Kinda Rube Goldberg, but it works.

    The reason I mentioned the IDE drive, is that is why we had to take the
    machine down--the IDE drive was acting up.

    > Are you booting from the raid (on SCSI) or from the IDE drive?
    > Did you replace the IDE drive, or did you just remove it?
    > Could that have changed boot order, priority, or something like that?
    > --
    > Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    > Norway

    Have replaced the IDE drive, disabled and pulled the IDE drive, and the
    same result. IDE drive is not part of the boot order in the BIOS, so
    it shouldn't be an issue.

    I have a question: the non-spinning baton [the minus sign] would
    indicate what stage of the boot process. I've looked around and read
    some things, but nothing points out that static baton. Have I read the
    MBR at this point [boot0], but not boot1?

    Thanks.

    --
    ....-.-
    To reply directly, remove clothes.