Hi folks - I'm very new to FreeBSD...

I started looking at ports to load some additional programs into my
7.1 Beta
system...a bash shell, and lsof are two examples of target programs.

The make process errors and exits when I try building either bash
or lsof (or ksh93, or anything else).

Just for grins, I opted to try compiling a simple C test program.
That fails as well;

$ cc -o loader loader.c
cc: Internal error: Segmentation fault: 11 (program ld)
Please submit a full bug report.
See for instructions.
$ gcc -o loader loader.c
gcc: Internal error: Segmentation fault: 11 (program ld)
Please submit a full bug report.
See for instructions.

The "loader.c" program is basically main() { int i; } - that's about
it.

I realize I'm working with beta bits, so all bets are off, but I
thought I'd ask
anyway - should this stuff be working in 7.1 Beta?

As I'm new to FreeBSD, is there something I'm missing that I need
to install to get this stuff to work?

FWIW, I did a complete kernel build yesterday (to get DTrace
included).
The kernel build went fine. It strikes me as odd that I can build a
new
kernel, but I can't compile a simple user-land program. That tells
me the problem is me - I'm missing something, or doing something
wrong.

Thanks
/jim