DTrace - BSD

This is a discussion on DTrace - BSD ; I downloaded the most recent 7.1 Beta bits, and followed the steps detailed here; http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ce-enable.html After the kernel build completed, I rebooted an ran "kldload dtrace" (which was necessary - dtrace was not loaded after the reboot). Running "dtrace -l", ...

  1. DTrace

    I downloaded the most recent 7.1 Beta bits, and followed
    the steps detailed here;
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ce-enable.html

    After the kernel build completed, I rebooted an ran "kldload dtrace"
    (which was necessary - dtrace was not loaded after the reboot).

    Running "dtrace -l", I only have 3 probes listed (BEGIN, END and
    ERROR).

    I realize DTrace in FreeBSD does not have the full compliment of
    providers
    (userland tracing with the PID provider), but I'm pretty sure fbt
    should
    at least me in there, and a few others.

    Is there another step required to get the full FreeBSD compliment of
    providers loaded?

    Thanks very much
    /jim

  2. Re: DTrace

    On Oct 12, 10:34*am, jim wrote:
    > I downloaded the most recent 7.1 Beta bits, and followed
    > the steps detailed here;http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ok/dtrace-enab...
    >
    > After the kernel build completed, I rebooted an ran "kldload dtrace"
    > (which was necessary - dtrace was not loaded after the reboot).

    Got it. Never mind.

    Need to run "kldload dtraceall", rather than "kldload dtrace".

    Sorry for the noise...

    /jim

    > Running "dtrace -l", I only have 3 probes listed (BEGIN, END and
    > ERROR).
    >
    > I realize DTrace in FreeBSD does not have the full compliment of
    > providers
    > (userland tracing with the PID provider), but I'm pretty sure fbt
    > should
    > at least me in there, and a few others.
    >
    > Is there another step required to get the full FreeBSD compliment of
    > providers loaded?
    >
    > Thanks very much
    > /jim

  3. Re: DTrace

    On Oct 12, 10:48*am, jim wrote:
    > On Oct 12, 10:34*am, jim wrote:
    >
    > > I downloaded the most recent 7.1 Beta bits, and followed
    > > the steps detailed here;http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ok/dtrace-enab...

    > > After the kernel build completed, I rebooted an ran "kldload dtrace"
    > > (which was necessary - dtrace was not loaded after the reboot).

    > Got it. Never mind.
    >
    > Need to run "kldload dtraceall", rather than "kldload dtrace".
    >
    > Sorry for the noise...
    >
    > /jim

    I'm further embarrased to note that if I had simply
    flipped to the next page in the documentation;
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ace-using.html

    I would have seen kldload dtraceall documented.

    D'oh!

    /jim

    > > Running "dtrace -l", I only have 3 probes listed (BEGIN, END and
    > > ERROR).

    > > I realize DTrace in FreeBSD does not have the full compliment of
    > > providers
    > > (userland tracing with the PID provider), but I'm pretty sure fbt
    > > should
    > > at least me in there, and a few others.

    > > Is there another step required to get the full FreeBSD compliment of
    > > providers loaded?

    > > Thanks very much
    > > /jim

  4. Re: DTrace

    jim wrote:
    > I downloaded the most recent 7.1 Beta bits, and followed
    > the steps detailed here;
    > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ce-enable.html
    >
    > After the kernel build completed, I rebooted an ran "kldload dtrace"
    > (which was necessary - dtrace was not loaded after the reboot).
    >
    > Running "dtrace -l", I only have 3 probes listed (BEGIN, END and
    > ERROR).

    kldload dtraceall

    --

    Michel TALON

  5. Re: DTrace

    jim wrote:
    > I'm further embarrased to note that if I had simply
    > flipped to the next page in the documentation;
    > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ace-using.html
    >
    > I would have seen kldload dtraceall documented.
    >
    > D'oh!

    Beware that tracing some kernel stuff easily deadlocks the machine ...
    Tracing system calls has no problem.

    --

    Michel TALON

+ Reply to Thread