FreeBSD 7.0 and wep - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD 7.0 and wep - BSD ; Hi, I am currently running FreeBSD 7.0 on a thinkpad T42. I have recently placed a D-link DI-514 wireless router. It currently only offers WEP protection. The Dlink is set for dhcpd. So I should just be able to grab ...

  1. FreeBSD 7.0 and wep

    Hi,

    I am currently running FreeBSD 7.0 on a thinkpad T42. I have recently
    placed a D-link DI-514 wireless router. It currently only offers WEP
    protection. The Dlink is set for dhcpd. So I should just be able to grab
    an ip. I also set the WEP key in the d link.

    I read http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...-wireless.html
    and created /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:
    network={
    ssid="network_name"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    wep_key3=111111111 <----- Just example
    wep_tx_keyidx=3
    }

    So here is what happens when I try to connect.
    [9:44am] Gargoyle[root@/root] >wpa_supplicant -i ath0 -c
    /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    Trying to associate with 00:00:00:00:00:00 (SSID='network_name'
    freq=2437 MHz)
    Associated with 00:00:00:00:00:00
    CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:00:00:00:00:00 completed (auth)
    [id=0 id_str=]

    and it just sits there.

    if I bring up ifconfig ath0 in another terminal.
    [bhorne@Gargoyle:bhorne, 09:47 AM, Thu Oct 09]>ifconfig ath0
    ath0: flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500
    ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
    status: associated
    ssid network_name channel 6 (2437 Mhz 11g) bssid 00:00:00:00:00:00
    authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey 4 wepkey 4:40-bit txpower 31.5
    bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 bgscan bgscanintvl 300 bgscanidle 250
    roam:rssi11g 7 roam:rate11g 5 protmode CTS burst roaming MANUAL

    I will do ^c and end up with this:
    ^CCTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING - signal 2 received
    ioctl[SIOCS80211, op 20, len 7]: Can't assign requested address

    So what can I do to be able to access the wireless router with WEP?

    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

  2. Re: FreeBSD 7.0 and wep

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 09:57:03 -0400, Understudy wrote:

    > I am currently running FreeBSD 7.0 on a thinkpad T42. I have recently
    > placed a D-link DI-514 wireless router. It currently only offers WEP
    > protection. The Dlink is set for dhcpd. So I should just be able to grab
    > an ip. I also set the WEP key in the d link.

    I probably can't help you with the WEP problem, but by coincidence I have
    one of the same wireless routers. I can tell you that if you upgrade the
    DI-514 to the latest firmware, it will magically acquire the ability to
    handle WPA. It will also, incidentally, also become able to set the time
    correctly from an NTP server (a feature which is apparently present, but
    broken, in the original firmware).

  3. Re: FreeBSD 7.0 and wep

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 09:57:03 -0400, Understudy wrote:

    Without invalidating my other reply about WPA on the DI-514, I took
    another look at your post.

    > I am currently running FreeBSD 7.0 on a thinkpad T42. I have recently
    > placed a D-link DI-514 wireless router. It currently only offers WEP
    > protection. The Dlink is set for dhcpd. So I should just be able to grab
    > an ip. I also set the WEP key in the d link.
    >
    > I read
    > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...-wireless.html and
    > created /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf: network={
    > ssid="network_name"
    > key_mgmt=NONE
    > wep_key3=111111111 <----- Just example wep_tx_keyidx=3
    > }

    Seems OK.

    > So here is what happens when I try to connect. [9:44am]
    > Gargoyle[root@/root] >wpa_supplicant -i ath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    > Trying to associate with 00:00:00:00:00:00 (SSID='network_name'
    > freq=2437 MHz)
    > Associated with 00:00:00:00:00:00
    > CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:00:00:00:00:00 completed (auth)
    > [id=0 id_str=]
    >
    > and it just sits there.

    Well, it says it's connected. wpa_supplicant works by continuing to run
    and managing the connection. So that looks like the expected behaviour.

    > if I bring up ifconfig ath0 in another terminal.
    > [bhorne@Gargoyle:bhorne, 09:47 AM, Thu Oct 09]>ifconfig ath0 ath0:
    > flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500
    > ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
    > inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    > media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
    > status: associated
    > ssid network_name channel 6 (2437 Mhz 11g) bssid
    > 00:00:00:00:00:00 authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey 4 wepkey
    > 4:40-bit txpower 31.5 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 bgscan bgscanintvl
    > 300 bgscanidle 250 roam:rssi11g 7 roam:rate11g 5 protmode CTS
    > burst roaming MANUAL

    And that says that ath0 is associated to "network_name" on channel 6 and
    has been given the IP address 192.168.0.100, so it looks like everything
    is working right.

    At this stage, can you do, say "ping yahoo.com" and get a response?

    > I will do ^c and end up with this:
    > ^CCTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING - signal 2 received ioctl[SIOCS80211, op 20,
    > len 7]: Can't assign requested address

    This kills wpa_supplicant and breaks the wireless connection.

    > So what can I do to be able to access the wireless router with WEP?

    I think you've done it already. In your startup script, just run your
    wpa_supplicant command in the background and ath0 should work
    continuously.

  4. Re: FreeBSD 7.0 and wep

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 09:57:03 -0400, Understudy wrote:
    >
    >> I am currently running FreeBSD 7.0 on a thinkpad T42. I have recently
    >> placed a D-link DI-514 wireless router. It currently only offers WEP
    >> protection. The Dlink is set for dhcpd. So I should just be able to grab
    >> an ip. I also set the WEP key in the d link.

    > I probably can't help you with the WEP problem, but by coincidence I have
    > one of the same wireless routers. I can tell you that if you upgrade the
    > DI-514 to the latest firmware, it will magically acquire the ability to
    > handle WPA. It will also, incidentally, also become able to set the time
    > correctly from an NTP server (a feature which is apparently present, but
    > broken, in the original firmware).

    I go the upgrade it went from 1.02 to 1.03. There was no option for WPA.
    Did I miss something?

    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

  5. Re: FreeBSD 7.0 and wep

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 09:57:03 -0400, Understudy wrote:
    >
    > Without invalidating my other reply about WPA on the DI-514, I took
    > another look at your post.
    >
    >> I am currently running FreeBSD 7.0 on a thinkpad T42. I have recently
    >> placed a D-link DI-514 wireless router. It currently only offers WEP
    >> protection. The Dlink is set for dhcpd. So I should just be able to grab
    >> an ip. I also set the WEP key in the d link.
    >>
    >> I read
    >> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...-wireless.html and
    >> created /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf: network={
    >> ssid="network_name"
    >> key_mgmt=NONE
    >> wep_key3=111111111 <----- Just example wep_tx_keyidx=3
    >> }

    > Seems OK.
    >
    >> So here is what happens when I try to connect. [9:44am]
    >> Gargoyle[root@/root] >wpa_supplicant -i ath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    >> Trying to associate with 00:00:00:00:00:00 (SSID='network_name'
    >> freq=2437 MHz)
    >> Associated with 00:00:00:00:00:00
    >> CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:00:00:00:00:00 completed (auth)
    >> [id=0 id_str=]
    >>
    >> and it just sits there.

    > Well, it says it's connected. wpa_supplicant works by continuing to run
    > and managing the connection. So that looks like the expected behaviour.
    >
    >> if I bring up ifconfig ath0 in another terminal.
    >> [bhorne@Gargoyle:bhorne, 09:47 AM, Thu Oct 09]>ifconfig ath0 ath0:
    >> flags=8843 metric 0 mtu 1500
    >> ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
    >> inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    >> media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
    >> status: associated
    >> ssid network_name channel 6 (2437 Mhz 11g) bssid
    >> 00:00:00:00:00:00 authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey 4 wepkey
    >> 4:40-bit txpower 31.5 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 bgscan bgscanintvl
    >> 300 bgscanidle 250 roam:rssi11g 7 roam:rate11g 5 protmode CTS
    >> burst roaming MANUAL

    > And that says that ath0 is associated to "network_name" on channel 6 and
    > has been given the IP address 192.168.0.100, so it looks like everything
    > is working right.
    >
    > At this stage, can you do, say "ping yahoo.com" and get a response?
    >
    >> I will do ^c and end up with this:
    >> ^CCTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING - signal 2 received ioctl[SIOCS80211, op 20,
    >> len 7]: Can't assign requested address

    > This kills wpa_supplicant and breaks the wireless connection.
    >
    >> So what can I do to be able to access the wireless router with WEP?

    > I think you've done it already. In your startup script, just run your
    > wpa_supplicant command in the background and ath0 should work
    > continuously.

    When it connects it does not send traffic. I cannot ping anything.

    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

  6. Re: FreeBSD 7.0 and wep

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 17:38:34 -0400, Understudy wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 09:57:03 -0400, Understudy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am currently running FreeBSD 7.0 on a thinkpad T42. I have recently
    >>> placed a D-link DI-514 wireless router. It currently only offers WEP
    >>> protection. The Dlink is set for dhcpd. So I should just be able to
    >>> grab
    >>> an ip. I also set the WEP key in the d link.

    >> I probably can't help you with the WEP problem, but by coincidence I
    >> have one of the same wireless routers. I can tell you that if you
    >> upgrade the DI-514 to the latest firmware, it will magically acquire
    >> the ability to handle WPA. It will also, incidentally, also become
    >> able to set the time correctly from an NTP server (a feature which is
    >> apparently present, but broken, in the original firmware).

    > I go the upgrade it went from 1.02 to 1.03. There was no option for WPA.
    > Did I miss something?

    I would check for you, but my DI-514 has been retired and is sitting in a
    box somewhere. I confess I have no recollection what the latest firmware
    version should be, but googling shows 1.03 with the note:

    "# D-Link DI-514 Wireless Router Firmware 1.03.Added WPA and WPA-PSK
    support
    # Added Radio ON / OFF option on Wireless Page
    # Modified the Time page - Adding Local Computer Time Option."

  7. Re: FreeBSD 7.0 and wep

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 17:39:08 -0400, Understudy wrote:

    >>> So what can I do to be able to access the wireless router with WEP?

    >> I think you've done it already. In your startup script, just run your
    >> wpa_supplicant command in the background and ath0 should work
    >> continuously.

    > When it connects it does not send traffic. I cannot ping anything.

    Not even 192.168.0.1?

    What happens if you do "dhclient ath0"?

  8. Re: FreeBSD 7.0 and wep

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 17:38:34 -0400, Understudy wrote:
    >
    >> Mark Madsen wrote:

    >>> I probably can't help you with the WEP problem, but by coincidence I
    >>> have one of the same wireless routers. I can tell you that if you
    >>> upgrade the DI-514 to the latest firmware, it will magically acquire
    >>> the ability to handle WPA. It will also, incidentally, also become
    >>> able to set the time correctly from an NTP server (a feature which is
    >>> apparently present, but broken, in the original firmware).

    >> I go the upgrade it went from 1.02 to 1.03. There was no option for WPA.
    >> Did I miss something?

    > I would check for you, but my DI-514 has been retired and is sitting in a
    > box somewhere. I confess I have no recollection what the latest firmware
    > version should be, but googling shows 1.03 with the note:
    >
    > "# D-Link DI-514 Wireless Router Firmware 1.03.Added WPA and WPA-PSK
    > support
    > # Added Radio ON / OFF option on Wireless Page
    > # Modified the Time page - Adding Local Computer Time Option."

    Alright. I am going to dig further into it. Thank you.

    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

  9. Re: FreeBSD 7.0 and wep

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    >>> I think you've done it already. In your startup script, just run your
    >>> wpa_supplicant command in the background and ath0 should work
    >>> continuously.

    >> When it connects it does not send traffic. I cannot ping anything.

    > Not even 192.168.0.1?
    >
    > What happens if you do "dhclient ath0"?

    Hi,

    I figured it out.
    ifconfig ath0 authmode open bssid 00:00:00:00:00:00 deftxkey 1 ssid
    network_name wepmode on wepkey 1:0x1111111111

    Note rc.conf has ath0 is set up for dhcp.

    This will work as a command line set up.

    What I need to do know is figure out a script that I can put in rc.d so
    if I am home it activates and if I am not home it doesn't activate.

    Sincerely,
    Brendhan

+ Reply to Thread