What are people using to remotely check their servers? - BSD

This is a discussion on What are people using to remotely check their servers? - BSD ; New guy again. FreeBSD 6.3 RC2 running Apache 1.3 Wondering how you guys remote in to your BSD server (over the internet) to check on things. This particular server will have a static IP and will be acting as a ...

  1. What are people using to remotely check their servers?

    New guy again.

    FreeBSD 6.3 RC2 running Apache 1.3

    Wondering how you guys remote in to your BSD server (over the internet)
    to check on things. This particular server will have a static IP and
    will be acting as a webserver not an inside (network) fileserver.

    VNC through SSH?

    I would like to login and remotely check the server and if necessary
    restart services etc. (which implies I need to login as a user with
    those rights).

    Forgive me if I should know this but I'm not finding an obvious "do
    this" answer in the downloaded FreeBSD PDF.

    Basic questions are;
    1.) what do you run server side to enable this and;
    2.) what app do you use to login from a remote WinXP machine to check
    your server. (yes I know but I'm stuck with XP)

    Thanks guys
    tje

  2. Re: What are people using to remotely check their servers?

    teastman wrote:

    > New guy again.
    >
    > FreeBSD 6.3 RC2 running Apache 1.3
    >
    > Wondering how you guys remote in to your BSD server (over the internet)
    > to check on things. This particular server will have a static IP and
    > will be acting as a webserver not an inside (network) fileserver.
    >
    > VNC through SSH?

    I think that most who operate servers prefer to not have any X installed. So
    just SSH. Server admins are more CLI oriented. Note that you can configure
    SSHD to only accept certificates and eschew simple passwords for more
    security. All in the Handbook.

    > I would like to login and remotely check the server and if necessary
    > restart services etc. (which implies I need to login as a user with
    > those rights).

    Services should not need to restarted under normal day to day. Maintenance
    such as using portupgrade to upgrade apps is one exception. Also factor in
    some form of backup which allows you to go "backwards" should something go
    awry. Hard drives are large and cheap enough these days it's not difficult
    to keep an extra one in the machine. Do a complete backup right before you
    change or upgrade anything and if something goes wrong just restore the
    freshest backup and you're back where you were.

    Just add your normal user account to the "wheel" group. The normal default
    for SSH is not to allow root logins. You should leave it this way, log in
    as your normal user and su to root as/when needed.

    > Forgive me if I should know this but I'm not finding an obvious "do
    > this" answer in the downloaded FreeBSD PDF.

    This can be more of a style and personal preference. I just get the feeling
    most BSD admin types are handy enough with CLI to forego any involvement
    with X on a server. I know I don't have X on any of mine.

    > Basic questions are;
    > 1.) what do you run server side to enable this and;
    > 2.) what app do you use to login from a remote WinXP machine to check
    > your server. (yes I know but I'm stuck with XP)
    >
    > Thanks guys
    > tje

    1.) sshd
    2.) look at PuTTY for windows

    -Jason

  3. Re: What are people using to remotely check their servers?

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 15:44:21 UTC, teastman <""
    wrote:

    > Wondering how you guys remote in to your BSD server (over the internet)
    > to check on things. This particular server will have a static IP and
    > will be acting as a webserver not an inside (network) fileserver.
    >
    > VNC through SSH?

    I use ssh. The firewall, as a further security measure, only accepts
    incoming ssh calls from the IP address I will be using for that access.

    No need for VNC as it doesn't run a GUI anyway. All command line stuff.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

+ Reply to Thread