Playing short audio samples - BSD

This is a discussion on Playing short audio samples - BSD ; Hi, I want to provide audio feedback messages for a console program I am writing, using pre-recorded (.wav-)samples. Example: User keys in a number. System may eventually respond "Diese Zahl ist falsch" (German for "this number is incorrect") The actual ...

  1. Playing short audio samples

    Hi,

    I want to provide audio feedback messages for a console program I am
    writing, using pre-recorded (.wav-)samples.

    Example: User keys in a number. System may eventually respond
    "Diese Zahl ist falsch" (German for "this number is incorrect")

    The actual output I hear skips some syllables, frames likely; not
    always, but most of the time.
    "Die** Zahl ist falsch"
    ^^ not audible.
    or, not as often as the above
    "Dies* ***l ist falsch".
    "Diese Zahl *** falsch".

    This happens using play, wavplay, or converting the samples to mp3 and
    using mpg123.

    Why is that, and how can I reliably play audio samples of 2 to 4
    second durations?
    I do need vchan support, i. e. I have to be able to specify the
    playback device.

    Thank you,

    Michael

  2. Re: Playing short audio samples

    Michael Ross wrote:
    > I want to provide audio feedback messages for a console program I am
    > writing, using pre-recorded (.wav-)samples.
    >
    > Example: User keys in a number. System may eventually respond
    > "Diese Zahl ist falsch" (German for "this number is incorrect")
    >
    > The actual output I hear skips some syllables, frames likely; not
    > always, but most of the time.
    > "Die** Zahl ist falsch"
    > ^^ not audible.
    > or, not as often as the above
    > "Dies* ***l ist falsch".
    > "Diese Zahl *** falsch".
    >
    > This happens using play, wavplay, or converting the samples to mp3 and
    > using mpg123.
    >
    > Why is that, and how can I reliably play audio samples of 2 to 4
    > second durations?
    > I do need vchan support, i. e. I have to be able to specify the
    > playback device.

    You may try audacity and see if it suits your needs. I have been using
    it for a few weeks already to listen and edit files in .wav format and
    convert them into .mp3 format.
    HIH,
    --Julio

+ Reply to Thread