Why is gnome trying to talk to someone? - BSD

This is a discussion on Why is gnome trying to talk to someone? - BSD ; I have noticed that whenever my ppp link is up, gnome starts chatting, thus: Oct 8 03:33:13 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: Scheduling hal init retry Oct 8 03:33:43 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: error connecting to D-BUS s ystem bus: Failed to connect to socket ...

  1. Why is gnome trying to talk to someone?

    I have noticed that whenever my ppp link is up, gnome starts chatting, thus:

    Oct 8 03:33:13 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: Scheduling hal init retry
    Oct 8 03:33:43 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: error connecting to D-BUS s
    ystem bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such
    file or directory
    Oct 8 03:33:43 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: Scheduling hal init retry
    Oct 8 03:34:13 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: error connecting to D-BUS s
    ystem bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such
    file or directory

    etc.

    but when I force the ppp link down, this seems to stop. Also the ppp link
    will not time out so long as gnome is up (so I have to force it down) even
    though there is no application in gnome that should be trying to connect to
    the internet.

    What is gnome up to? Can I get it to stop without killing gnome?

    --
    Lars Eighner SAVE BEASTIE! "What do you do when you're debranded?"
    usenet@larseighner.com http://larseighner.com/

  2. Re: Why is gnome trying to talk to someone?

    Lars Eighner wrote:

    > I have noticed that whenever my ppp link is up, gnome starts chatting,
    > thus:
    >
    > Oct 8 03:33:13 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: Scheduling hal init

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > retry
    > Oct 8 03:33:43 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: error connecting to
    > D-BUS s ystem bus: Failed to connect to socket
    > /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
    > Oct 8 03:33:43 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: Scheduling hal init
    > retry
    > Oct 8 03:34:13 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: error connecting to
    > D-BUS s ystem bus: Failed to connect to socket
    > /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
    >
    > etc.
    >
    > but when I force the ppp link down, this seems to stop. Also the ppp link
    > will not time out so long as gnome is up (so I have to force it down) even
    > though there is no application in gnome that should be trying to connect
    > to the internet.
    >
    > What is gnome up to? Can I get it to stop without killing gnome?

    I'm a KDE'er instead of a Gnome user but I suspect it is the package manager
    auto-update if it doesn't appear to be multicast 224.x.x. stuff. Look for
    some auto update daemon you can disable. It's trying to look for/pull keys
    from a package repository.

    -Jason

  3. Re: Why is gnome trying to talk to someone?

    Lars Eighner wrote:

    > I have noticed that whenever my ppp link is up, gnome starts chatting,
    > thus:
    >
    > Oct 8 03:33:13 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: Scheduling hal init
    > retry
    > Oct 8 03:33:43 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: error connecting to
    > D-BUS s ystem bus: Failed to connect to socket
    > /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
    > Oct 8 03:33:43 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: Scheduling hal init
    > retry
    > Oct 8 03:34:13 debranded gnome-keyring-daemon[985]: error connecting to
    > D-BUS s ystem bus: Failed to connect to socket
    > /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
    >
    > etc.
    >
    > but when I force the ppp link down, this seems to stop. Also the ppp link
    > will not time out so long as gnome is up (so I have to force it down) even
    > though there is no application in gnome that should be trying to connect
    > to the internet.
    >
    > What is gnome up to? Can I get it to stop without killing gnome?

    Appears to be some sort of thingy to 'remember passwords' for programs, lan
    etc. - Under Admin menu.

    Likewise use KDE here - Just check out Gnome once in a while.

    KDE also has a keyring manager but it reports "keyring daemon is not
    running".
    - maybe worth a look for daemon in loader or rc.conf?

    - All sounds a bit a Windows like to me...

    Perhaps:
    http://library.gnome.org/devel/gnome-keyring/stable/

    --

    Bill